Suzuki GS1100GK Charging

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Suzuki GS1100GK Charging

First off Hello everyone and glad to be here. MY 82 GS1100Gk has a small problem with charging. When I first start the bike I have 12 plus volts, after a minute or so it drops to 10 or less.Every thing I have checked so far leads me to the R/R and thats where I am stuck... I figure I'll get an extra one just in case.New threw suzuki oem 235$ ricks 135$ and ebay used 25-35 . I've heard so much bad about Ricks that I doubt I'll use his. Any other sugestions, anyone?

Ric,

First, Welcome to GSR.

Second, we cant help you untill you post picture of your bike.

Dave

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
    GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Ric,

I was joking.

You said you had 12 volts before starting bike.
      After starting bike, should measure again with engine at about 4000 rpm.
      Mid 13s is barely acceptable, low to mid 14s is much better.
      (at idle, even a good charging system doesnt put out much at all)

Sound like you are not charging at all.

Look back on GSR home page (not forum, but GSR home page), In The Garage. Is "The Stator Papers". Has step by step proceedure and trouble shooting chart for checking lots of things of the charging system. Checks various connections. And Big check is to check the ohms of the stator windings, and check the output voltage of the stator.

Do check the stator before replacing the R/R.

I have had good results with Ricks. But have seen some poor comments in recent months.

Others will recommend not using a stock Suzuki type R/R, but to use a Honda type R/R which seem more reliable, but require some additional wiring. So depends on how adventerous you are.

Tell us more what you have found that makes you think you need a new R/R.

If R/R bad, and you really want to go for ride: You can disconnect the R/R. Charge battery with small (1 amp) batery charger. Go for ride, but not too far. Charge back up when get home.

Dave

PS: And we all do like to see pics of bikes.

Last edited by Redman; 02-26-2013, 09:09 PM.

GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Checked the stater

At an idel it is about 12volts at the meter and guage,reved up it goes up to about14.2 for about less than a minute when the R/R should kick in the head light dims and the guage and volt meter drop down to 10.6 and drops more, slowley and I just shut it down ,wait a couple of minutes and it does it again. Sometimes it does'nt reg. at start above 10.6 volts. At the same time the volts at the stater are still good.

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. ricster60,

Start by cleaning every electrical connection and ground on the entire wiring harness. I mean everything, battery terminals, ground straps, all the little bullet connectors, molex connectors, solenoid connections, blinker stalks, fuse box, ignition switch connections, everything. (Don't ask me how I know.) OK, I'll tell you. I went through 4 stators in about 3 years before I finally cleaned the electrical system properly.

Then, connect the ground wire from the regulator/rectifier directly to the negative terminal of the battery. Make sure the three output wires from the stator are connected directly to the three input wires on the r/r unit. (See the r/r replacement guide and stator replacement guide on my little website. There may be a couple of unnecessary wires you can take out of the circuit.) Then run the tests in The Stator Papers. See all of the supplemental charging system information on my little website. I totally agree with the used Honda (Shindengen) r/r usage. There is an "approved" compatible list of part numbers in the electrical section of my little website.

My current favorite stator is the Caltric unit. They have an eBay store, very reasonably priced and usually with free shipping. I also like Rick's Electrics stators. I do not recommend Electrosport or RM Stator parts.

See my little website for cleanup suggestions and replacement procedures. I've been collecting a lot of information on these old bikes since becoming an owner. Now here's your "mega-welcome".

If you are here you probably have a 30 year old motorcycle that needs about 20 years worth of maintenance. You'll find all kinds of helpful tips, procedures, manuals, diagrams, "how-to" guides, etc, in the links below. Let's get started.

Let me dump a TON of information on you and share some GS lovin'.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", "Top 15 Tips For GS Happiness", the Carb Cleanup Series, and the Stator Papers. All of these tasks must be addressed in order to have a safe, reliable machine. This is what NOT to do: Top 10 Newbie Mistakes. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please Click Here For Your Mega-Welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Connections

I have cleaned all the connections. All the grounds and had to run a couple of wires. Love my bikes but this one did'nt get the care it deserved. Have found a couple of quirks with this one, starter button,its got a elect.box with a switch , I think it was for a Trailer it pulled with a dozen extra lights on it. EEEwwwww. Cant bring myself to get that weird. But after eleminating all that stuff it didnt change any thing. I may be old but I aint that old. Any way thats where I am at. Thanks for the tips and I will update as I get to it.

Comment

Clean all the connections & replace the reg with a Honda one !!! Even if it checks good...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HONDA-CB750F...3b340f&vxp=mtr

I think the 1100's had an extra plug between the reg & stator? Eliminate it...WIRE it direct from the stator to the reg.. and of course add the required extra ground from the batter to the reg Ground IF it still has problems you probably have a bad stator
              Last edited by Guest; 02-26-2013, 10:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ricster60 View Post
                Have found a couple of quirks with this one, starter button,its got a elect.box with a switch , I think it was for a Trailer it pulled with a dozen extra lights on it. EEEwwwww. Cant bring myself to get that weird. But after eleminating all that stuff it didnt change any thing. I may be old but I aint that old.
                Hey, there's nothing wrong with pulling a trailer.

And you don't have to be "old" to do it, either.

I have been pulling trailers since I was 24.

And if you look in my sig and notice a Wing, that does not explain it. This is my first Wing, and it was purchased when I was over 50 years old.

sigpic
                mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Not meaning to disrespect

So sorry Steve, didnt mean to suggest trailers and old go together but I am in my 50's to and I owned a wing years ago, Loved it on long Rides. Just meaning I like to travel the old way. Roll it up and put it in the bags or trunk or bunge it on ... I just cant bring myself to "trailer" unless its behind the P/U... I just cant wrap my head around a trailer/Bike combo. Altho the harleys that pull a hearse are cool...

Comment

Hey Ric,

Thanks for the PM. You said the bike came from Holland.

I see you have added a pic of the GK as your avatar.

THis bike..? That I saw and concidered getting in 2009?

Not much of a question with the custom striping.

more pics
                    photobucket ablumn

Last edited by Redman; 02-27-2013, 10:47 PM.

Comment

Sure is...

Yup , Most definetly is..Wow strange how small the world is..

Comment

Yup , Most definetly is..Wow strange how small the world is..
                        I was working in Allegan for a week, and it was out in front of the house on a county road along the way. Since it was right on my way, and since it was same model and year and color as mine, I thought to stop and look. .. ah, three times.
                        Its not like I search out every bike that is for sale to go look at.

................,reved up it goes up to about14.2 for about less than a minute when the R/R should kick in the head light dims and the guage and volt meter drop down to 10.6 and drops more, slowley and I just shut it down ,...................
                        So, whats the status of your charging problem?

I can somewhat understand the charging system working at first, and then failing after a minute or so. That could be R/R or the stator failing after it warms up with the current flow.
                        What puzzles me is when it fails, the voltage dropping to 10 something volts. THat is why I havent said much.
                        Maybe you have a bad battery AND a charging problem.

Last edited by Redman; 02-28-2013, 07:34 PM.

Comment

Make sure you wire the stator directly into the R/R and bypass the head lamp switch (which often overheads and melts the harness). This, and cleaning the grounds, are the two most important things to do in order to fix the charging system (other than a replacing damaged R/R and/or stator).
                          Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

bRAND NEW BATTERY

Yup , Bought a brand new DEKA Gel just after the problems started. The one it came with was 3 years old. Wireing has been re done and am waiting for the new R/R to get here. Got the suggested honda one Comming from a friend that owns a bike repair shop.. Good to have Friends in certain Places... Any way its comming along and will keep every one updated, Rideing season it comming !!!!!

Comment

............waiting for the new R/R to get here. Got the suggested honda one ...............
                              and you do knokw the wiring will be differernt. Will need to wire its "sence" wire to some swtiched circuit. The brake light org/wht is a good canidate.

Dave

Comment

Working...
                              X