Speedo Calibration 85 vs 140 mph

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sedelen View Post
    Now I see what you're talking about! The location of the numbers, and it was pointed out also about that friggin triangle. Time will sort this out though. But, I bought them as a '83 gauges cluster and it does have that 140 mph speedo and 9.5K from wherever it came. I could be wrong but I don't think the 9.5K tach came out until '83 for the GS1100E. Could it be as a result of the welded crank modification that came out somewhere in the '82 model year?
    Did you miss my earlier post? I think your gauge cluster may be from a GS750E (or at least the tach is). The GS750E had the triangle and the 9.5K redline.

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
      If anything I would think the GS750 would have a higher redline but I don't know.
      I'd say they did.
      De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Originally posted by AJ View Post
        Did you miss my earlier post? I think your gauge cluster may be from a GS750E (or at least the tach is). The GS750E had the triangle and the 9.5K redline.
        No I didn't thanks. With what I know and what's been said and shown here, I would have to believe it very well could be, and most likely is a GS750E tach. I was thinking though, perhaps I should put the lower redline tach on it since it's an '82, could keep me out of trouble.....
        but my bike I do believe has the welded crank if I can believe what was posted sometime back.
        sigpic
        Steve
        "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Comment

Originally posted by sedelen View Post
          No I didn't thanks. With what I know and what's been said and shown here, I would have to believe it very well could be, and most likely is a GS750E tach. I was thinking though, perhaps I should put the lower redline tach on it since it's an '82, could keep me out of trouble.....
          but my bike I do believe has the welded crank if I can believe what was posted sometime back.
          Most bikes tend to drop off power as you approach redline anyway, but if you have any mods like pipe, pods, and jetting, your engine may happily soar past redline. I'm afraid to admit how often I've done that on my 1100.

Amusing side story: The first time I pegged the throttle on my Busa, I was paying more attention to keeping the front end down and keeping the bike straight than looking at the tach. Then the power just died and I was sure I must have bent a valve. But the bike ran fine afterwards and I realized that I had just hit the electronic rev limiter. My 1100 could use one of those.

Comment

Originally posted by AJ View Post
            Most bikes tend to drop off power as you approach redline anyway, but if you have any mods like pipe, pods, and jetting, your engine may happily soar past redline. I'm afraid to admit how often I've done that on my 1100.

Amusing side story: The first time I pegged the throttle on my Busa, I was paying more attention to keeping the front end down and keeping the bike straight than looking at the tach. Then the power just died and I was sure I must have bent a valve. But the bike ran fine afterwards and I realized that I had just hit the electronic rev limiter. My 1100 could use one of those.
            You got that right. I haven't rode anything more powerful than my GS1100E, I don't think I can, at least going through that wide open throttle thing. Just keeping the front end down and going straight on that bike is enough for me. I usually overrun the tach redline by shifting at the redline, it just gets there so fast, I just ball park it.
            But I don't do that to often, because that bike tries to get away from me, unlike my GS1000 which has just enough power without getting squirrely.
            sigpic
            Steve
            "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Comment

look what I just saw on an 1983 GS1100ED Canadian SPEC

240 kph gauges in the 82 style with a 9K rpm tach also 82 style.

Comment

Working...
              X