Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Want to try experiment. Can I do this safely? GS1100.......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Want to try experiment. Can I do this safely? GS1100.......

I have a minor issue with what I believe is low voltage at cylinder 1 + 4 coil. Symptoms as follows: cylinders 1 + 4 take longer to warm up on first start and run cooler when engine is warm. Voltage at LH coil was low so i cleaned all the connectors and that brought the voltage back to 12ish and now it runs much better but on cold starting but it's still showing signs of a weak spark on. 1 + 4.

FYI: it ain't the carbs ok! definitely ignition system related and the coils test good.

So back to my original question, can i jump the + terminal of the LH coil directly to the +battery for testing purposes without causing any other electrical issues? I don't want to damage anything!

Any input would be greatly received.
    Last edited by Guest; 05-06-2013, 12:43 PM.

yes...........................................

Comment

Yes.......................................
      1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Thank you and thank you
        GSR rules!

Comment

Just don't leave it hooked up too long without engine running as you'll overheat them.

With the relay mod I carry a 3" bit of wire with a spade on either end as a "jumper" for just this purpose in case the relay goes bad on the road.
          1980 GS1000G - Sold
          1978 GS1000E - Finished!
          1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
          1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
          2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
          1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
          2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
            Just don't leave it hooked up too long without engine running as you'll overheat them.

With the relay mod I carry a 3" bit of wire with a spade on either end as a "jumper" for just this purpose in case the relay goes bad on the road.
            Good point

Comment

Working...
            X