No announcement yet.

Solid State Power Box

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't need a remote keyless anything, I have a toggle switch and a kickstarter.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Update:

The lease came up on my shop/storage and the landlord raised the rate by 35% ; I was not expecting that so he is making the decision for me to move.

You can see the first prototype with a production tester box. I'm still in the process of checkout but I have a lot of stuff to move and just can't complete this at the moment. Sorry but I got done with what I could on the SSPB but now I have to start downsizing for the move.

Sorry if that upsets anybodies plans but it will at least cause an additional month slip to the end of Oct.

Last edited by posplayr; 08-30-2013, 03:02 PM.

Comment

The delay might inconvenience some, but might work in my favor to get on the list. The house sale seems on track, but I won't have two nickles to rub together until closing Sept./Oct.
        '78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

Ugh. I'm bummed as electrical upgrades are the next on my list after the engine is done. Plus, money sitting around in my house tends to get spent if you know what I mean haha.

Please keep us posted. I for one am eagerly waiting to give my money!
          1982 GS550M Rebuilt Winter '12 - 550 to 673cc engine conversion.
          1989 Kawasaki ZX-7 Ninja
          2016 Ducati Scrambler Full Throttle

Comment

Oh good, another excuse to procrastinate a little longer.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

peace dude all around!

Comment

It is what it is, you are doing a great service to the community by even working on the project in the first place. I'll still want one whenever you get some solid prototypes together.

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
                  Update:

The lease came up on my shop/storage and the landlord raised the rate by 35% ; I was not expecting that so he is making the decision for me to move.
                  Not sure how I missed this bit of news, but I guess we were hiking in the Rockies at the time.

Sorry to hear of the shop debacle. That kind of thing is happening all over in our neck of the woods as well.

Give us an update when you are ready to move forward, and I'll still be willing to install one on the 550.
                  '83 GS650G
                  '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

OK Guys I have an update on the SSPB. The good news is that I finally got the PCB files shipped off today. It took me much longer than I had anticipated as I basically ended up adopting the ISO 7637-1:1990 standards for the design of the SSPB. As it turns out the automotive environment has some nasty energy pulses which can occur are various times; things like:
                    • Ignition spark
                    • Hooking up to a car with a charging alternator.
                    • Hooking up to a battery charger with a low battery.
                    • Disconnecting from a car with a charging alternator
                    • Removing a battery from a charging motor cycle.
                    • Connecting to a trickle charger when on.
                      etc:

So what the ISO 7637-1:1990 standard does is to lay out pulsed energy characteristics for various conducted disturbances (this means coming on a wire v.s. radiated emissions) . It further lays out design and test guidelines for standardization of product performance specifications. There are really no requirements per se, but it provides some pretty specific guidelines for characterization of your design.

So what that basically means is that in the design of the SSPB I have had to try and deal with energy pulses that can exceed +/- 100 volts!!! The ability to do this depends on several factors the most important of which is how much impedance there is from the source of the conducted emissions as well as the duration. If you want to do any reading on this look up "Load Dump". It can be pretty horrendous. I ended up putting maximum (given space constraints) protection on all the inputs and outputs of the SSPB.

I was also fortunate enough to have a buddy that basically designed the military equivalent of the SSPB while working at Delco. He reviewed the design last week giving me the thumbs up.

My expectation is that for any source on a GS, the SSPB will survive unphased. It will even survive some pretty ugly stuff coming from a charging automobile; much more than most all of your other devices can stand. Properly installed, the SSPB should even protect the rest of your bikes electronics if you should happen to do something foolish like jump your bike from a running automobile.

Here are some pictures of my mock up comparing the SSPB to a stock GS1100ED fuse box. I don't have the primary wires coming into the side or show the two LED's but it does have the lower 10 pin correction and it fits on the bottom. There will be an low cost option to do dash mounted LED's if you wish; LED and harness only you need to find something to drill a hole into for mounting. Otherwise the LED's will be mounted in the box with the internal buzzer.

You can also see the 0.190" aluminum mounting plate. The unit will be fully epoxy sealed from below so you should be able to run this thing submerged.

The physical size of the Unit is:
                    1.8" Wide excluding the mounting tabs which are an extra 0.5" each side.
                    4.1" Long excluding the connector which protrudes about 0.6" from below.
                    1.5" Height including the aluminum mounting plate.

The heatsink is only 0.190" think and should be the same foot print as your OEM fuse box. The heatsink is the silver thing on the left. It should be mounted to the side plate in the stock location. With enough air flow it could be free floating. I expect power dissipation to only be 5W about 1/10 of a shunt R/R.

Hoping to get the bare PCBA's within two weeks and will be ordering more parts as the design has changed since my first orders. I will assemble and test the initial batch before epoxy filling the units that go out. Depending on how things go these could be ready in about 1 month from now.

So I'm looking for interest to buy the first prototypes as well as which style of base ( diagonal like the later fuse boxes or symmetrical like the older 8V models.).

I'm going to provide these first units with a simple box shown without graphics. If everything works out and there is enough interest in producing these in higher quantities I will have the box produced with professional graphics. I can swap out those new covers to any of the original buyers.

So for now I'll stick to my original $150 for these first prototypes

Offering a warranty is a bit of an unknown on something like this, but I'll offer a full repair or replace warranty for 3 years.

Let me know who is going to want one, I'm going to be getting the Alum. plates made pretty soon.

This is basically what you will see when you open the cover. Most of the parts and circuitry are on the back side buried in epoxy.

Are these ready for shipping yet?

Comment

Originally posted by Badooka View Post
                      Are these ready for shipping yet?
                      A couple of posts back posplayr mentioned that the units will be pushed back until the end of October.
                      '83 GS650G

Comment

Originally posted by BigD_83 View Post
                        A couple of posts back posplayr mentioned that the units will be pushed back until the end of October.
                        I moved from SB to Tuscon AZ and am only partially settled at the moment. I hope to get back to the testing later this week.

Comment

I moved from SB to Tuscon AZ and am only partially settled at the moment. I hope to get back to the testing later this week.
                          Good to hear...changing over to this system on the 550 might be a nice little winter project.
                          '83 GS650G

Comment

Originally posted by BigD_83 View Post
                            AH- missed that- when I did a search the post came up brand new.
                            Searched fuse box.
                            Last edited by Guest; 10-01-2013, 08:15 PM.

Comment

Just keep plugging away as you get the time. This little gem may turn out to be one of the best things to ever hit the GS community. Cannot tell you how excited I am for you to finish these. Wish I lived in AZ I would gladly come help you move!
                              1982 GS550M Rebuilt Winter '12 - 550 to 673cc engine conversion.
                              1989 Kawasaki ZX-7 Ninja
                              2016 Ducati Scrambler Full Throttle

Comment

Originally posted by Sci85 View Post
                                Just keep plugging away as you get the time. This little gem may turn out to be one of the best things to ever hit the GS community. Cannot tell you how excited I am for you to finish these. Wish I lived in AZ I would gladly come help you move!
                                Thanks for the words of support. I am going to have a series of projects to get settled in but most of them will have to take a back seat to getting these done.

Comment

Working...
                                X