No announcement yet.

buying 850 g with probable spark issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

An excess of current is usually because an uncontrolled connection to battery voltage has occurred.

Let's talk about the most basic of circuits, a simple light bulb. You start at the battery positive, which is at 12 volts. There is a wire that goes from the positive terminal to one side of the light bulb, then another wire that goes from the other side of the light bulb to the negative terminal of the battery. As long as the light bulb is good and the battery is charged you have light.

Then, after 30 years of operation and vibration, the two wires rub together and wear the insulation off. Current now goes from the battery positive through the wire until it finds the worn insulation, then it takes the SHORT CUT into the negative wire and returns to the negative terminal of the battery, bypassing the light bulb entirely. This is where we get the term "short".

Unfortunately, aside from just rendering the light inoperative, it also damages the wires. This is because the light bulb was restricting how much current flowed through the wires. Dim lamps allow a little current, brighter lamps allow more current. Headlights allow still more current. A "shorted" circuit allows virtually limitless current, limited only by the resistance of the wires themselves, and that isn't much. So the circuit takes every electron your battery is willing to provide, overloading the wires tremendously, overheating them, and burning them.

It is for this reason that fuses exist. The power (12 volts) has to go through them FIRST.. If a short occurs, the fuse will overheat and melt long before the wires will overheat and burn.
    Last edited by Guest; 10-06-2013, 01:56 AM.

Comment

That is a great explanation.Problem is, my harness melted from the instrument panel to about midway under the tank before I got the battery disconnected, and a fuse never blew.The problem I had defies all logical explanation. The short I understand, why didnt it blow at least the main fuse, I have no explanation for. I also have been contemplating how smart is it to replace a faulty 30 year old harness with another old harness from ebay? New ones cost $157. My used one was $45.I am hoping the replacement harness does not fail. I am also hoping when i remove the old harness something jumps out at me where I can say there was the problem.
      future owner of some year and displacement GS bike,as yet unclaimed and unowned.

Comment

Originally posted by ron bayless View Post
        ..., my harness melted from the instrument panel to about midway under the tank before I got the battery disconnected, and a fuse never blew.The problem I had defies all logical explanation.
        Well, since it defies "logical" explaination, how about a possible explaination?

Take a look at the fuse. Those glass fuses are available up to 30 amps.

Most of the wires on the bike will melt with 30 amps going through them.

The MAIN fuse should be 15 amps, all the others should be 10 amps.

Too many times, a "previous owner" will install a larger fuse.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
          Well, since it defies "logical" explaination, how about a possible explaination?

Take a look at the fuse. Those glass fuses are available up to 30 amps.

Most of the wires on the bike will melt with 30 amps going through them.

The MAIN fuse should be 15 amps, all the others should be 10 amps.

Too many times, a "previous owner" will install a larger fuse.

Good point.I am off in a few days.Thats when I will try and fix it.The PO did a lot of stuff I don't like.
          future owner of some year and displacement GS bike,as yet unclaimed and unowned.

Comment

old harness is fubar.IMG_20131011_104100.jpg (55.2 KB) The old connectors are so melted I had to cut them out.I dont know if i will ever get replacement harness in.Theground wire was creamated, then set others to melting.I cant imagine what happened.

Comment

old harness is fubar.IMG_20131011_104100.jpg (55.2 KB) The old connectors are so melted I had to cut them out.I dont know if i will ever get replacement harness in.Theground wire was creamated, then set others to melting.I cant imagine what happened.
              IMHO get yourself a wiring diagram from Bikecliffe, a load of assorted wires and connectors, and build a new loom. As for the short, well if it started in the headstock and moved down under the tank, I'd check the loom where it passes from the top yoke, around the headstock and under the frame.

Maybe it's been pinched there between the steering stop and frame - (just a guess). Mind I had a 750 which the PO had ripped the clutch apart several times, trying to figure out why at high revs it was slipping. Replaced all plates and springs. Never bothered looking at the cable though. When I got it I check that first. It had been pinched at the headstock squashing the out cover. That resulted in the cable being tight in the sleeve, and the clutch didn't fully disengage. Hence the high speed slipping.

Still, I got a cheap bike with a brand new clutch so it wasn't all bad.

Comment

I have a replacement harness, but I dont have the skills to put the replacement in.Some of the bullet connectors wires came apart as i was pulling the old harness out and i dont know where they go.I tried making a harness one time.it turned out real bad.I have all of cliff's stuff downloaded.My ability is overhauling, not wiring. I do appreciate your input though.

Comment

I have a replacement harness, but I dont have the skills to put the replacement in.Some of the bullet connectors wires came apart as i was pulling the old harness out and i dont know where they go.I tried making a harness one time.it turned out real bad.I have all of cliff's stuff downloaded.My ability is overhauling, not wiring. I do appreciate your input though.
                  I didn't either, the first time. All you really need is patience for deciphering the color codes in the diagram, and maybe the ability to replace a few connectors. Do clean all your connectors and protect them with dielectric grease.

Or is the replacement harness not a direct replacement?
                  Dogma
                  --
                  O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
                  '80 GS850 GLT
                  '80 GS1000 GT
                  '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Originally posted by Dogma View Post
                    I didn't either, the first time. All you really need is patience for deciphering the color codes in the diagram, and maybe the ability to replace a few connectors. Do clean all your connectors and protect them with dielectric grease.

Or is the replacement harness not a direct replacement?
                    I checked it out with steve.its for an l, but is identical except some of the wires wont reach back to the tailights.The connectors on the harness side then will be good, but on the bike side they are ruined.I dont know if i can make a connector with 10 pins or so for some of these connections.I think I now have a parts bike.

Comment

.I dont know if i can make a connector with 10 pins or so for some of these connections.I think I now have a parts bike.
                      Deep breaths... Take deep breaths.

I have "thrown in the towel" at least 4 times in the last 2 years...
                      Be patient, do more homework, ask more questions.
                      These guys can get you through anything !!!
                      1980 GS1000G - The Beast - GOING... GOING... yup, it's gone. I'm bikeless !!! GAaaahh !!!
                      1978 KZ1000C1 Police - GONE !
                      1983 GPZ750, aka ZX750A1 - restored, fresh paint... Gave it back, it was a loaner !!!
                      Check My Albums for some of the 30+ headaches I've dealt with

I know -JUST- enough to make me REALLY dangerous !

Comment

Originally posted by exdirtbiker View Post
                        Deep breaths... Take deep breaths.

I have "thrown in the towel" at least 4 times in the last 2 years...
                        Be patient, do more homework, ask more questions.
                        These guys can get you through anything !!!
                        I know.But not wiring.I had to replace the head gasket on my gs 1000 several years ago.I almost gave up.But they talked me through it.Wiring is totally different.mechanical things make sense, things can only go a certain way, there is a right and left, a front and back, things only work 1 way.With wiring there are inumerable ways to screw it up and have a bike that doesnt work,start,turn over,blink,light up,charge,etc.Wiring is where I draw the line.I sold my last gs for the very same reason.I will have lots of parts for guys here for sale soon.

Comment

I am going to buy another rideable bike, but a friend of mine who is a genius offered to help me rewire the bike.It will probably be quite some time, but eventually it will be running.So many wires,it is way above my head.The replacement harness takes half the equation out.The other side is going to radio shack or vintage connection and trying to find matching connectors.

Comment

Working...
                          X