Voltage idiot light.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Voltage idiot light.

I have avoided putting a voltmeter on any of my bikes because they are intrusive and hideous for the most part. However I came across this review on Webbikeworld and thought some of you may be interested. I did a search and didn't find any references to it.

Clearwater Voltage Sentry review webbikeworld

Blue LED Voltmeter

No room or one of these? Only 1/2" high. You'd have to water seal it.

Comment

Originally posted by Wizard View Post
      No room or one of these? Only 1/2" high. You'd have to water seal it.
      http://www.ebay.ca/itm/New-Hotsell-1...item19e0dfe2bc
      Hey Rich I file those under "hideous and intrusive".

Comment

Originally posted by bluewool View Post
        Hey Rich I file those under "hideous and intrusive".
        How about this?

Use on 6v, 12v, 24v Systems. This versatile unit can be used wherever you have a 24v, 12v or 6v lead-acid battery or charging system. One wire to battery positive, one to negative. We couldnt have made it simpler.

Similar in function to your reco but without the candy box appendage. Also has several user selectable LED flash modes.

Here is another with an appendage, both of these are 25% of the cost of the other.

Last edited by posplayr; 12-27-2013, 11:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
          How about this?

Use on 6v, 12v, 24v Systems. This versatile unit can be used wherever you have a 24v, 12v or 6v lead-acid battery or charging system. One wire to battery positive, one to negative. We couldnt have made it simpler.

Similar in function to your reco but without the candy box appendage. Also has several user selectable LED flash modes.

That's more like it. Thanks.

Comment

Although what I really need this time of year is a "Village Idiot Light" not a Voltage one.. 'tis the season.

Comment

That Clearwater unit seems to be OK, until you realize that any time the voltage is over 13.2, the light will be flashing.

In my pea-pickin' little mind, a flashing light is a WARNING light.

I am under the impression that most of our bikes are operating at 13.2 volts or more, ... virtually all the time, except maybe idling at a stop light.

sigpic
              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

These devices are perfect for people like me who are colorblind. I know the light means something, but I'll never know what, for sure (unless I ask someone with normal color vision...).
                and God said, "Let there be air compressors!"
                __________________________________________________ ______________________
                2009 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 2004 HondaPotamus sigpic Git'cha O-ring Kits Here!

Comment

Dang, I read that title as "Village Idiot Light" for some reason. Had a confusing few seconds there.

Anyhoo, I've played around with one of those lights (fortunately, koolaid_kid spent his hard-earned cash on it and not me) and although it seems like a good idea, I don't think either one of us felt happy with it.

As mentioned, the setpoints are the main problem. Most healthy motorcycle charging systems normally run somewhere around 14.2 - 14.4 volts. I also don't think the thing should ever start blinking -- too distracting and annoying. I wouldn't mind it going yellow when you're at a stop light, but it shouldn't go red when things are working normally. The mounting options are also limited. It's a decent idea, but it needs the ability to change the setpoints and alter its behavior, along with cleaner mounting options that don't involve drilling holes in your motorcycle.

I have one of these wee waterproof digital volt meters from ADVmonster on my V-Strom (modern Suzukis suffer from exactly the same electrical failings), and so far I'm very pleased. I get to see actual numbers when I want, with no distracting flashing. Mine is mounted down inside the fairing -- very much out of the way unless I specifically decide to glance down there:
                  1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                  2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                  2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                  Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Had the flashing LED, hated it. It kept switching modes far too quickly, and the flashing was very distracting. Never again.

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
                      Dang, I read that title as "Village Idiot Light" for some reason. Had a confusing few seconds there.
                      I've been reading it like that since I posted it. Thought it may have been an omen..

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
                      I have one of these wee waterproof digital volt meters from ADVmonster on my V-Strom (modern Suzukis suffer from exactly the same electrical failings), and so far I'm very pleased. I get to see actual numbers when I want, with no distracting flashing. Mine is mounted down inside the fairing -- very much out of the way unless I specifically decide to glance down there:
                      http://stores.homestead.com/hstrial-...ter/Detail.bok
                      Modern Triumphs suffer from the same also. That's a decent size and it is waterproof which is essential. Homemade waterproofing doesn't really cut it for me.

Comment

Want something simple ,unobtrusive and CHEEP ? I got a green led panel light and a 11 volt zener diode wired into "on" side of ignition switch in headlight bucket. When your bike is charging nicely/normally (about 13 volts or so at battery) LED stays lit and you can be happy!
                        In attached pic, screwdriver tip is pointing to LED housing. This is my backup when my onboard Chinese voltmeter fails.
                        1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

I added this cheap Chinese voltmeter to the 83 triple cover I use on the 85 750.Have a stock cover if I need/want to go back to being "in the dark".Picked up 2,one for the 750 and another for the 1000.Mounting it on the thou will be ineresting

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
                            Want something simple ,unobtrusive and CHEEP ? I got a green led panel light and a 11 volt zener diode wired into "on" side of ignition switch in headlight bucket. When your bike is charging nicely/normally (about 13 volts or so at battery) LED stays lit and you can be happy!
                            In attached pic, screwdriver tip is pointing to LED housing. This is my backup when my onboard Chinese voltmeter fails.
                            now, that's a clever idea...!
                            Simplicity is perfect, so let me complicate it!
                            I wonder if you could just add simple diodes "in series" to that green led to "up" the "on" voltage ... Where the 13 indicator and 11v zener has no added series diode , a 13.6 would + 1 , a 14.2; +2, a 14.8 ; +3 and especially useful, a 15.4; +4 , that might indicate Overcharging ...all without the nasty blinking of the ones you can buy.

I also seem to recall that Different colours of leds have slightly different "forward voltages" so it might want a little tinkering and compromise to get an exact indication of a particular voltage .

Comment

Originally posted by SVSooke View Post

I added this cheap Chinese voltmeter to the 83 triple cover I use on the 85 750.Have a stock cover if I need/want to go back to being "in the dark".Picked up 2,one for the 750 and another for the 1000.Mounting it on the thou will be ineresting
                              I bought about eight of these for $10 or so, have them on a few bikes now. They work fine.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Working...
                              X