No announcement yet.

H4 LED bulbs and other LED lamps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is the HD Bright setup, $70 plus shipping. Plug 'n' play. Thought I'd give it a go, for grins. They say 15/10 W 1650 lumens.

Nicely packaged.

The finned area contains a cooling fan.

The retaining clip was a bar-steward to set but it worked.

Looks plenty bright to me - have to wait 'til dark.......
    -Mal

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." - B. Banzai

78 GS750E

Comment

Sweet.....

hope to see some night shots or at least a review on what you think.......

Comment

Yeah, it looks bright enough, but what really counts is what the pattern looks like on the road.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by GateKeeper View Post
          Sweet.....

hope to see some night shots or at least a review on what you think.......

Originally posted by Steve View Post
          Yeah, it looks bright enough, but what really counts is what the pattern looks like on the road.

I'm tied up for a couple of evenings here, but will post some photos for critique ASAP.

Of note....I ordered the part online but got a call from Jean Marc at HD Bright inquiring about the recipient machine. He wasn't going to send it out without knowing it would fit. Good attitude and customer service as far as I'm concerned.
          -Mal

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." - B. Banzai

78 GS750E

Comment

If this works out OK, I might pick one up for the GS, since I already installed the HID into the FZ...

Waiting for your feedback....

Comment

I'm wondering how you fit all that into the bucket...
              NO PIC THANKS TO FOTO BUCKET FOR BEING RIDICULOUS

Current Rides: 1980 Suzuki GS1000ET, 2009 Yamaha FZ1, 1983 Honda CB1100F, 2006 H-D Fatboy
              Previous Rides: 1972 Yamaha DS7, 1977 Yamaha RD400D, '79 RD400F Daytona Special, '82 RD350LC, 1980 Suzuki GS1000E (sold that one), 1982 Honda CB900F, 1984 Kawasaki GPZ900R

Comment

I'm wondring how all that heat will get out of a mostly closed headlight bucket.

Let us know how hot it gets after a while.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Not being used to taking night photos I'm not sure how good, bad or indifferent these shots are but here they are....

Low beam is a pair of LED's and high beam add a third.

What do you think?

Street- low beam

Street- hi beam

Drive- low beam

Drive- hi beam
                  -Mal

78 GS750E

Comment

I suspected that two of them would be needed and a third for high comes as no surprise. All in all, looks acceptable enough and the pleasant surprise is that, even with the large light emitting area of the LED square compared to a filament, there is actually some form of cut-off on dip and perhaps a rudimentary beam pattern, which will be enough to satisfy motor vehicle testers come inspection.
                    ---- Dave
                    79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                    80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                    79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                    92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

I should have taken "before" photos for comparison but I'm not going back as it was a real pain to get the LED installed. I'll get back on the heat generated - it's still pretty cool around here so the real test will be when it warms up.
                      Some of us are lucky (?) in rural states, not to have to worry about inspections - no such thing in Minnesota, as evidenced by some death traps available on Craigslist & Ebay.
                      -Mal

78 GS750E

Comment

hmm...this looks rather impressive...
                        1982 Suzuki GS450TZ
                        1982 Suzuki GS1100EZ

Comment

Thanks for your efforts and posting results. I doubt heat is a problem for bucket (my H4 gets bucket toasty). the heat sink/fan on LED is to get heat away from delicate electronic stuff.
                          1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
                            Thanks for your efforts and posting results. I doubt heat is a problem for bucket (my H4 gets bucket toasty). the heat sink/fan on LED is to get heat away from delicate electronic stuff.
                            Thanks Tom. Half my reason for looking at this mod was the reduced power consumption. With lights on and at idle I was barely getting 12 volts charging and had to be over 4,000 rpm to get close to 14 volts. I installed a Shindengen SH775 with the LED headlight mod and now lights on at idle I get 13.5 volts and 14.5 volts as soon as I'm moving.
                            -Mal

78 GS750E

Comment

Pardon my ignorance, but besides the SH775, did you have to change anything else to go to that headlight?

Comment

This might be considered unrelated but I was testing a DDM HID modulation through the SSPB Headlamp cutout. with youtube compression and my lamptop the modulation looks pretty screwy but also you can get an idea of how bright the 55W H/L HID is for H-4

Comment

Working...
                                X