No announcement yet.

H4 LED bulbs and other LED lamps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Crazy expensive & way out of most people’s budget, but the most neato LED headlights would be the J.W.Speaker adaptive headlight.
    DOT & ECE compliant, and they change the lighting pattern when you corner.
    Looking for the Adaptiv Series? J.W. Speaker has made improvements to our original Adaptive series making this series no longer available.

Comment

Originally posted by Grimly View Post
      Finally got a pair of the newer braid-cooled H4 LEDs and they work very well with the Koito headlamp shell I fitted in the Vetter. A really nicely defined dip cut-off and a main that's very good indeed. Ignoring the BS claims about lumen output, what I can say is they're 'adequate' and then some. I would have preferred a warmer white, but they're harder to find.
      I'm up for another set of these, asap.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm//272308247720
      This is helpful, I've been considering H4 LED's as well and have been looking at the market from time to time, but there are so many to choose from, even when you get specific, exclude the types with a fan, narrow down a color, etc.

Are these stronger than stock H4? (Which is at 55W IIRC?)
      #1: 1979 GS 550 EC "Red" – Very first Bike / Overhaul thread        New here? ☛ Read the Top 10 Newbie mistakes thread
      #2: 1978 GS 550 EC "Blue" – Can't make it a donor / "Rebuild" thread     Manuals (and much more): See Cliff's homepage here
      #3: 2014 Moto Guzzi V7 II Racer – One needs a runner while wrenching
      #4: 1980 Moto Guzzi V65C – Something to chill

Comment

Originally posted by jabcb View Post
        Crazy expensive & way out of most people’s budget, but the most neato LED headlights would be the J.W.Speaker adaptive headlight.
        DOT & ECE compliant, and they change the lighting pattern when you corner.
        Looking for the Adaptiv Series? J.W. Speaker has made improvements to our original Adaptive series making this series no longer available.

Very cool, but I can't help but feel that this would look a bit out of place on a classic GS...anybody got pictures?
        #1: 1979 GS 550 EC "Red" – Very first Bike / Overhaul thread        New here? ☛ Read the Top 10 Newbie mistakes thread
        #2: 1978 GS 550 EC "Blue" – Can't make it a donor / "Rebuild" thread     Manuals (and much more): See Cliff's homepage here
        #3: 2014 Moto Guzzi V7 II Racer – One needs a runner while wrenching
        #4: 1980 Moto Guzzi V65C – Something to chill

Comment

I think I'll keep the light I've got, way more effective than traditional H4 bulbs of any type. For the price of that ridiculously priced headlight, you could buy a lot of nice new chew toys for your bike.
          '78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

Originally posted by Grimly View Post
            Finally got a pair of the newer braid-cooled H4 LEDs and they work very well with the Koito headlamp shell I fitted in the Vetter. A really nicely defined dip cut-off and a main that's very good indeed. Ignoring the BS claims about lumen output, what I can say is they're 'adequate' and then some. I would have preferred a warmer white, but they're harder to find.
            I'm up for another set of these, asap.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm//272308247720

Thanks for the nudge -- after doing some checking around, I bought a pair of these from Amazon. Under $50 shipped with Prime. For me, they tick all the boxes:
            - Cooling via heavy flexible braid heat sink -- no moving parts.
            - LED emitters are positioned exactly where the filaments on an incandescent bulb would be -- beam pattern is identical.
            - Easy to install -- first you install the mounting plate with locking clip, then the LED unit goes into that with an o-ring seal and locks in with a twist. On my V-Strom, I was able to fit the rubber "boot" with no modifications.
            - Sturdy metal (cast aluminum) construction.

LEDs don't generate much heat, but what they do generate must be moved away from the emitters by heat sinks. The braid barely gets warm to the touch, and you can feel a little more heat if you touch the housing.

I've been using one on the right side of my V-Strom, and one in my KLR's GS650GL headlight bucket for about a month, and so far have been extremely happy.

As Grimly mentioned, they could be just a touch warmer white, but they're pretty much exactly the same color temperature as newer cars that come from the factory with LED headlights.

I'll be able to post some light pattern comparison photos a bit later today. Watch this space...
            1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
            2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
            2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
            Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post

LEDs don't generate much heat, but what they do generate must be moved away from the emitters by heat sinks. The braid barely gets warm to the touch, and you can feel a little more heat if you touch the housing.
              From the one I tested it is the amplifier that gets hot not the LED.

Comment

Originally posted by roeme View Post
                This is helpful, I've been considering H4 LED's as well and have been looking at the market from time to time, but there are so many to choose from, even when you get specific, exclude the types with a fan, narrow down a color, etc.

Are these stronger than stock H4? (Which is at 55W IIRC?)
                Each bulb is approximately twice the light output of the halogen it replaced, I would say. All that and only draws about 2A, so it means I can run three of them on the GS and not tax the charging system.
                Like so...

The LH aux light is a hi/lo headlamp from an earthmover, and the RH lamp* is High only, but will be getting replaced with the other earthmover lamp when I get another pair of these LEDs.

*It's a 27W LED array, with 9x3, but is not as bright as the one on the other side.
                ---- Dave
                79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Here are the promised light pattern comparisons for the Nighteye H4 LED headlamps mentioned above.

This is in my V-Strom. A bit of explanation is needed here.

The V-Strom is known for having great headlights -- there are large twin H4 headlights that do a much better job than most motorcycles of lighting up the road. On my Vee (2002 DL1000), I've replaced the left bulb (closest to the centerline of the road) with a 2500 degree yellow bulb -- "Nokya Hyper Yellow". The right bulb is a normal H4 white bulb (up until I replaced it with the LED). My main reason for this unusual setup is increased visibility, and it seems to work. My theory was that the odd combination would be more likely to be noticed that a single white bulb or two white bulbs. If you see this coming, your brain goes "huh, that's weird". And that's exactly what several people have said to me, to which I say "thanks for noticing me!".

This theory seems to hold up quite well in practice -- I commute daily by motorcycle, and "no-see-um" events are dramatically lower when I'm riding the Vee.

I've also noticed after riding for a few months with this setup that I seem to be a little more aware of where things are in space and how they're moving. I think when something is lit by the unusual yellow color of the left bulb (as well as the white bulb on the right), my brain has learned to form a more precise idea of where it is because it knows exactly where the light is coming from -- I know it's not lit by a car behind me or a street light.

When I switched to an LED bulb on the right, I was hoping that the color contrast would be even more pronounced, and that the added lighting would also aid my ability to see. So far, I've been very happy with the results on both counts.

OK, on to some photos. Here's a shot of the front of the bike in the daytime in front of my office running with the headlights on. LED on the bike's right, yellow Nokya on the bike's left. Pretty striking, even in the daytime.

Here's an uncorrected "before" shot. Both headlights, both incandescent, hitting my garage door (normally a very pale yellow, very nearly white). The overall effect in person is FAR less yellow than this -- the yellow bulb threw the white balance in my phone's camera WAY off. I'm at an angle, but you can get the idea that it's a nice even light pattern with a good cutoff.

In this shot, I've simply unplugged the yellow headlight. This is now just one headlight, the white incandescent H4 on the right. Again, this is uncorrected, but the phone's white balance still went far too yellow, although overall brightness is pretty true-to-life. Still a nice light pattern, no?

Here I've installed the white LED bulb on the right in place of the incandescent. (Yellow bulb on left is still unplugged) Note how much brighter it is, but the pattern is the same. Cutoff is in the same place, and bright spot in the same place. White balance is pretty good, too (the phone's flash is an LED, so I suspect the camera calibrated around LED illumination). This shot gives a pretty realistic idea of what it looks like in real life and what the difference in brightness is. I just noticed that my motion sensing light above the garage came on, and the sky got a little darker (I was doing this right at dusk, so there's a little light in the sky in the earlier shots). Doesn't seem to make a lot of difference in the shot.

Here's the LED by itself on high beam:

And no, like a doof I didn't get a shot of both the yellow bulb and the LED in action... in practice, the brighter LED does sort of overwhelm the yellow incandescent. Visibility (what I can see) at night is much improved, and there's less of a yellow tinge to the scene than before. The light pattern still has a nice cutoff, so oncoming cars aren't bothered at all. And high beam also has a nice useful pattern -- same as before only more light.

I haven't yet measured current draw, but according to my onboard voltmeter, the R/R is still coping just fine.

Overall, I'm very pleased. The main issue with other LED replacements is that the emitters are in a different place than the filaments on incandescent bulbs, so you end up with a different light pattern. These bulbs seem to solve that, and at a very reasonable price, too.

The other LED bulb, by the way, is on my KLR650, which is wearing a headlight from a GS650GL. Long story... It's also working extremely well.

And yes, I did finally find some bearings and put the wheel back on my trailer...
                  Last edited by bwringer; 09-03-2016, 08:57 AM.
                  Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Selective Yellow.
                    Us here in these islands had to paint or cover our headlamps with yellow filters to take a jaunt to France, in the olden days.
                    However, I noticed the same as you - it works surprisingly well. Just something I've not bothered doing since.
                    I'm now interested in it again, and there's enough light coming from the LED to maybe not miss some of it.
                    Worth a try, I think.

And some interesting chatter in the background of that article...
                    Last edited by Grimly; 09-03-2016, 05:16 PM.
                    ---- Dave
                    79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                    80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                    79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                    92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Thanks, Grimmy -- I knew about the French and yellow headlights, but I didn't know what the correct term was.

One interesting aside on my V-Strom's headlight setup: I've had some questions as to whether it's legal to have one yellow headlight and one white headlight. I've perused the relevant Federal and Indiana regulations (and reviewed the regs and my conclusions with a friend who's a lawyer over beers). As best we can tell, motorcycles are required to have at least one white headlight. However law is silent on the subject of a second headlight, and there's no requirement that the shades match. There's also no definition of "white" light in terms of a range of color temperatures either. So basically, I'm in the clear as long as I have one white headlight and I'm not using a prohibited color (red, blue, or green) on the front of my motorcycle.

We'll leave aside for the moment that I'm engaging in a very minor form of civil disobedience -- the yellow bulb carries DOT (US Department of Transportation) markings, although it is sold as a non-DOT bulb (I suspect it's just a DOT bulb that has an added yellow coating). And for that matter, the LED bulbs are not DOT approved either. I've been in ten or twelve states with the yellow/white headlight setup and in three states so far with the yellow/LED setup and never had any questions about it from the authorities.
                      Eat more venison.

Comment

I have the Cyclops on my BMW F650. The performance and durability has been fantastic, and would recommend them to anyone... Who doesn't have to cram it into a shell. I haven't tried, but I sure don't think it would be a go, and if it did fit, the fan would be merely recirculating the heat in the shell.

Comment

I have a Cyclops, wife has ADV Monster. Both are similar U must say, but I think the newest ADV Monster with the flex heat sink may top both of these that we have.

Ultimately I think a reflector designed for LED's like the newest Truck Lite Phase 7 or whatever it is would be by far the best beam cast. The LED retrofit bulbs all seem to scatter the light upwards a but mire, as witnessed by street signs and overhead highway signs being brightly illuminated frpm a VERY LONG DISTANCE away.. I believe the light us not as focused as it could be, however I have not experimented with the cyclops bulb shims that they send out with the bulbs in order to focus the light the best for your reflector application. This may be key here in truly evaluating the performance of a retrofit bulb.
                          '77 GS750 920cc heavily modded
                          '97 Kawasaki KDX220R rugged terrain ripper!
                          '99 Kawasaki KDX220R​ rebuild in progress
                          '79 GS425stock
                          PROJECTS:
                          '77 Suzuki PE250 woods racer
                          '77 GS550 740cc major mods
                          '77 GS400 489cc racer build
                          '76 Rickman CR1000 GS1000/1100
                          '78 GS1000C/1100

Comment

Picked up a JW Speaker 8700 Mk2 on ebay for under $200. Like the look, and its killer at night..

PB
                            Central Jersey
                            82' Suzuki GS750T

"Old school is the best school"

Comment

That's a beast of a lamp!
                              "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
                              ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                              1982 CB900f

Comment

Did you manage to get the bulb in the stock housing? I got mine in last night and the clips don't line up with the housing - did you just slide it in or get an adapter/new housing?

Comment

Working...
                                X