battery keeps discharging?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by turbojonn View Post
    Can the three stator wires be hooked up in any order?
    yes but all direct to the R/R

Comment

OK, I just checked the individual leads from the stator. I got .5 volts off of one, 11.6 off another and 6 something off of the third. This is a brand new stator from Ricks? I'm no genius, but his can't be good.
      1981 GS 1100e turbo, 83 motor, turbo pistons, new head, new turbo, backed and welded clutch basket, Dyna S ignition, cbr 929 front end, gsxr 750 rear end with 190 tire, all carbon fiber covered bodywork.

Comment

NOT A RICKS STATOR. Sorry to Rick. I got a cheap one off of ebay. I think I got what I paid for, maybe less.
        1981 GS 1100e turbo, 83 motor, turbo pistons, new head, new turbo, backed and welded clutch basket, Dyna S ignition, cbr 929 front end, gsxr 750 rear end with 190 tire, all carbon fiber covered bodywork.

Comment

OK, I just checked the individual leads from the stator. I got .5 volts off of one, 11.6 off another and 6 something off of the third. This is a brand new stator from Ricks? I'm no genius, but his can't be good.
          Are you measuring AC Volts on all three legs are 5K RPM?

If you do that also check leg to ground voltages at same RPM.

Comment

I checked. There is no change at any higher rpm. Leg to ground is testing to the battery ground? If so, that is how I measured them. This stator is JUNK!

Comment

I checked. There is no change at any higher rpm. Leg to ground is testing to the battery ground? If so, that is how I measured them. This stator is JUNK!
              You should report test results instead of analyzing them yourself. It is fool hardly for me to make assessment based on your analysis. My first assessment is if you even measured the data correct. I can't do that based on trust. I can only do it based on the consistency of the data you might provide.
              Last edited by posplayr; 05-25-2014, 05:47 PM.

Comment

I just bought a Ricks stator. Well see, it's about a week out for delivery.

Comment

What type/brand of R/R do you plan to use? while your waiting for your stator. do a little reading. a poor R/R can lead your new stator to unnecessary pain and suffering. avoid no name ebay ones

1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind. Will the rr kill the stator right away? I have to run it to figure out what is going on.

Comment

A faulty R/R might, but after you wire it up go back and do the Quick Test to be safe. There are lots of substandard R/R units on ebay- better ones are 30 year old Shindengens, with markings like SH-***.
                      A series R/R (like the SH-775 or compufire ) is the best choice.
                      1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind. Will the rr kill the stator right away? I have to run it to figure out what is going on.
                        It would take sustained running at higher rpm to do any damage and even then it depends on the bikes ability to dissipate heat. Connecting a r/r and doing tests should not do any harm under even the worst of conditions.

Comment

Working...
                        X