Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LED Flasher

Yup, it's me again!
    I'm going to install led's in my turn signals and need a flasher for my 83 GS1100ES
    I've been looking for them on line and can't seem to find one in the seven pin configuration.
    I've posted pictures of the plug and flasher in my album section.
    Can someone steer me in the right direction?
    Thanks in advance.
    Rod

I don't have much experience with this so i could be wrong. But i'm pretty sure only two of those wires feed into the actual thermal flasher (Not sure what the rest do). You should be able to disconnect the two wires that feed into the flasher and them wire them into an electronic flasher.

Comment

Originally posted by GS(X)400 View Post
      You should be able to disconnect the two wires that feed into the flasher and them wire them into an electronic flasher.
      Sounds right to me, hope someone that has done this to your style wiring will be along to chime in as I'd like to know what flasher you end up doing if you mod and use only the 2 wires (or 3 in my case) that go to the flasher. I don't have the same plug as yours, mine is just the 3 wire flasher. I bought a cheapo electronic flasher at O'riellys and it didn't work on either of my bikes
      ----------------------------------------------------------------
      2014 BMW F800GSA | 1981 GS850GX | 1982 GS750T (now the son-in-laws) | 1983 GS750ES | 1983 Honda V45 Magna (needs some love) | 1980 Yamaha GT80 and LB80 "Chappy" | 1973 and 1975 Honda XL250 projects

Comment

Originally posted by mikerophone View Post
        Sounds right to me, hope someone that has done this to your style wiring will be along to chime in as I'd like to know what flasher you end up doing if you mod and use only the 2 wires (or 3 in my case) that go to the flasher. I don't have the same plug as yours, mine is just the 3 wire flasher. I bought a cheapo electronic flasher at O'riellys and it didn't work on either of my bikes
        see if this helps you

Comment

Originally posted by GateKeeper View Post
          see if this helps you

Maybe this. The problem is that the TSCU is the module with the 7 pins not the FLASHER Relay. The OEM 3 prong Flasher on the GS1100ED are special units made to work with the OEM TCSU. There is a polarity inversion on the third leg between OEM turn flashers and the new ones.

If you change the Flasher to a typical aftermarket one, to work with LED lights then the TSCU will not work.

I took this poll for people's interest. I built one and sent one to Steve as well . I don't think he has installed it yet.

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
            I built one and sent one to Steve as well . I don't think he has installed it yet.
            Sad to say, you are correct.

With no pressing deadlines, I have been taking my time on "Junior", trying to to things correctly (and the first time) as I go. Hopefully, will be able to install in in the next week or two.

The LEDs have been ordered. I have received a message that they have been shipped, so at least there is progress.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by GateKeeper View Post
              see if this helps you

Perfect, thanks Gatekeeper. We have the same bike (without the TSCU) so I am glad to know that this will work for sure. Think I'll switch the connectors around as you did as opposed to making spade connector extensions...

I'm torn however, as there are now 2 other options I am looking at.

1) an adjustable rate flasher - I wouldn't mind a slightly faster flasher rate, but some of the led flashers friends have are still too fast for my tastes.

Or more likely the route I will go is to make my own custom LED running light/turn signal combo. Thinking I'll fab up some LED panels to fill the whole housing and have them always on, then use a normally closed type relay setup to switch them off for turn signals. Hope that makes sense, I'll be doing some reading/research when I get ready to do that.

Sorry for the thread hijack Rod, consider it a bump!
              ----------------------------------------------------------------
              2014 BMW F800GSA | 1981 GS850GX | 1982 GS750T (now the son-in-laws) | 1983 GS750ES | 1983 Honda V45 Magna (needs some love) | 1980 Yamaha GT80 and LB80 "Chappy" | 1973 and 1975 Honda XL250 projects

Comment

[QUOTE=posplayr;2082236]
                There is a polarity inversion on the third leg between OEM turn flashers and the new ones.

Is it just a matter of switching the polarity (+/-) on the connector then?

Comment

[QUOTE=rodgs1100es;2082867]
                  Originally posted by posplayr View Post
                  There is a polarity inversion on the third leg between OEM turn flashers and the new ones.

Is it just a matter of switching the polarity (+/-) on the connector then?
                  No

Comment

Working...
                  X