No announcement yet.

LED headlight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dogma used to run a Truck-Lite Phase 6 light in his 1000G. I saw it and liked it. I got a good deal on a couple of them, but my bike has a rectangular light, so I found 7" buckets for the two Ls in the stable and put the LED lights on them. REALLY like the output and the pattern on the road.

I am about ready to get an LED headlight for my bike. It is only available in the Phase 7, which Dogma tells me is better than the Phase 6. I am looking forward to having matching lights on the front of my bike.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Jedz, can you share a link to the bulb you are using? I saw a lot of HID conversion kits but not many direct fits.

It's nice to see a few Vermonters here. I lived in VT for 12 years (half central, half north) and have never felt at home anywhere else. Maybe one day I will return. It is an amazing place to ride.

Comment

Received ADVmonster.com LED H4 headlight today. A few quick notes:

- The unit I received is a bit different. I guess the design in this latest batch has been improved and updated, and several folks over on ADVrider are confused and upset by this. They're an easily agitated bunch. Think hairy toddlers with money.

- On the plus side, the heat sink is a good bit smaller. ADVmonster claims improved light output. Not having an "old" unit to compare it to, I dunno. It's still a design with no moving parts, so that's good.

- On the potential minus side, the LEDs are now on one side of the "stalk" rather than both sides, and some folks are near tears with the fear that this won't work as well in some reflectors. I dunno yet.

- On the very much a plus side, I just installed the LED into the headlight shell on my KLR650 which is sitting in the parking lot here at work. This is relevant because my KLR is wearing a headlight shell from a 1982 GS650GL, so early indications are that the new smaller design will work in the small-ish L model GS headlight housings. Still a fairly tight fit and rather fiddly getting all the wires to tuck in neatly.

- It's 5:30 now, and will be dark soon. Reports on lighting quality and pattern will be forthcoming. In the daylight it's bloody blinding if you look at it, and the faint light pattern I can see on the pavement and nearby objects looks promising.

The "old" bulb is the larger unit on top. The "new" design, the one I received, is at the bottom:

Here's a crappy pic of my KLR with its franken-Zuki headlight:
        Last edited by bwringer; 11-10-2014, 06:50 PM.
        1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Well that's good enough for me. Should easily fit into my 7" round bucket on my 80' 1000G. I'll order one right now.
          Rob
          1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
          Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Originally posted by azr View Post
            Well that's good enough for me. Should easily fit into my 7" round bucket on my 80' 1000G. I'll order one right now.
            I am still waiting for the NIGHT-TIME ride report.

sigpic
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

Interesting change.

The unit being slightly shorter might make the fitment easier in the GK.
              However sharp bends on wires is never a good idea.

I just went to visit advrider and ADVmonster and could not find new measurements.

Waiting on a night test too. And measuments.
              Daniel

1973 Honda ST90
              1983 Suzuki GS1100GK

Comment

Took the long way home through the least-lit areas of Indy last night.

In a nutshell, I'm very, very impressed. Big thumbs up.

The lighting pattern was the same as with the H4 Silverstar I had installed. Just a lot brighter and whiter (not that crappy irritating blue-ish of cheap bulbs and HIDs), and the edges seemed more defined somehow. The biggest practical difference I noticed was more useful light off to the sides, where critters lurk. No issues in traffic, and no one flashed me or seemed irritated at stop lights. I did have to raise the headlight aim a bit with the LED.

My particular headlight (see photo above: it's a stock round 6.5" Suzuki headlight from a 1982 GS650GL installed on a 2005 KLR650) probably isn't the best designed -- with a regular bulb, high beam illuminates the tree branches above the road. With the LED, the pattern is the same. I guess it'll help spot any vampire bats or drop bears. Since so much of my nighttime riding is in town where I can't use high beam anyway, I'm not particularly worried. Or, I could lower the headlight and leave high beam on. Again, this is more an attribute of the headlamp reflector, not the LED bulb. It's just that the brighter light makes it more apparent.

To my way of thinking, a motorcycle headlight's primary function is actually visibility -- being seen by oblivious cage pilots. At least in my world it is.

If I'm riding at night, I'm usually commuting in the city; I very, very rarely risk riding after dark in the countryside because Indiana (along with much of the US) is overrun with an infestation of antlered tree rats.

And judged by visibility, the intense, bright white light of the LED wins hands-down over any incandescent bulb.

Bottom line: you can have my ADVmonster LED headlight only when you pry it from my cold, dead fingers...

The LED headlight is going to stay in the KLR, but I plan to try it out on my GS850 and on my V-Strom soon. It's very difficult to get meaningful pictures of lighting with digital or cell phone cameras (it's nearly impossible to keep exposure exactly the same), but I'll see what I can do.
                Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
                  Indiana (along with much of the US) is overrun with an infestation of antlered tree rats.
                  I will be taking care of some of the tree rats in my area the first week of December. I just hope I don't miss and scare them your way.

Comment

In a nutshell, I'm very, very impressed. Big thumbs up.

Bottom line: you can have my ADVmonster LED headlight only when you pry it from my cold, dead fingers.
                    Sounds like a decent endorsement to me.

Sounds like it should do well in the Hella reflector on "Junior".

And, on the off chance that it does not compare well to the Truck-Lite unit, I can stick the ADV unit in #2 son's 1000G.

Last edited by Steve; 11-30-2014, 12:27 AM.
                    sigpic
                    Family Portrait
                    Siblings and Spouses
                    Mom's first ride

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                      Yep, me too. Would still like to see photos although I agree photos of LED's and HID's are tough and never look the same as they do in person. I'll likely order on over the winter just the same for use on one of my bikes just a little curious on color temp still. Sounds like its a bright, clean white and not overly blue which is great!
                      ----------------------------------------------------------------
                      2014 BMW F800GSA | 1981 GS850GX | 1982 GS750T (now the son-in-laws) | 1983 GS750ES | 1983 Honda V45 Magna (needs some love) | 1980 Yamaha GT80 and LB80 "Chappy" | 1973 and 1975 Honda XL250 projects

Comment

The LED headlight is going to stay in the KLR, but I plan to try it out on my GS850 and on my V-Strom soon. It's very difficult to get meaningful pictures of lighting with digital or cell phone cameras (it's nearly impossible to keep exposure exactly the same), but I'll see what I can do.
                        That's what manual mode is for. Iirc, some phone camera apps will allow manual settings (depending on phone, of course).
                        There's also the option of taking a reference pic lit by halogen bulb - then a series of comparison pics with the camera / phone allowed to do its own thing with HID or LED bulbs; but in Post Processing to examine the EXIF data and see exactly what it did, and rectify that for a final image to show up brightness differences.
                        The result will be fairly crappy from a photographic viewpoint but will give a fair idea of relative light values.
                        Last edited by Grimly; 11-11-2014, 06:10 PM.
                        ---- Dave
                        79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                        80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                        79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                        92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post

Sounds like it should do well in the Hella reflector on "Junior".

And, on the off chance that it does not compare well to the Truck-Lite unit, I can stick the ADV unit in #1 son's 1000G.

I think in a better reflector, it should work even better -- I can't wait to try it in my GS850G's 7" headlight, which has a very nice usable pattern. The V-Strom also has great headlights, so it'll be interesting to see what happens there as well.
                          Eat more venison.

Comment

Just stand in front of the bike and stare into each light, see which one blinds you the fastest. Lol
                            sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
                            1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
                            2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Sounds like just the thing for my 850's 6" lamp.
                              Dogma
                              --
                              O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
                              '80 GS850 GLT
                              '80 GS1000 GT
                              '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Hey guys, any updates on this thread? Looking to switch to LED for my 82GS1100GK to cut down on amp draw and get better visibility on these crazy LA freeways..
                                Not sure whether to go with Truck Light, ADV monster LED or if there is something better on the market now? Looking at these, not sure how they stack up..
                                H4651/H466 4x6 inches HeadLamp 45w LED Conversion made easy with Hid Lights USA. Shop H4651/H466 4x6 inches HeadLamp 45w LED Conversion for lowst price. Buy GP Thunder, Buy GP-Extreme, 7500K Xenon Bulbs, D2R, D2S, Headlight, X5 Lightning, H11 8500K, Cree LED Light, Golden Yellow 3500K, BMW E39 Angel Eyes, H8 Fog Light, 7506 Chrome Stealth, 194 Cree SMD, 921 Back Up White, Hid conversion kit, 7440 Amber, 5202 Camero Fog Light, License Plate Lamp, 3157 Switch Back, 1157 SMD LED, Seal beam replacement, Hid Ballast from Hid Lights USA.

Thanks!
                                Last edited by Guest; 06-24-2017, 12:43 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X