'82 1100e battery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'82 1100e battery

Here's a challenge: design a bike whose battery is harder to access than the 1100EZ. I replaced the stock airbox with APE pods nine months ago, and had forgotten that even that does not provide easy access.

I decided to charge my battery, and rather than just relying on the idiot lights (clamps reversed, charging, charged) on my "DieHard Battery Charger & Maintainer", I thought I should remove the battery to check the electrolyte levels.

No go. Okay, two bolts off and a towel to lift the rear of the tank.

No go. Okay, four more bolts and a frame cross member removed, and the battery is free and clear.

To the point: all six cells had between an inch or two of acid.

Down to the laundry room, fill 'er up with regular (NYC tap water).

Before removal, I noticed that the vent tube had become disconnected from the battery.

Bike always cranks strongly, but it never has to for more than two seconds before she starts.

It's an old PO battery ("EverStart, Walmart"), and I'd like to keep it as long as possible.

Comments, suggestions, name-calling?
    1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Although it was bubbling away ("charging") for hours before I removed it, 20 minutes on the charger after filling it and it indicates "charged".
    1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

think about an AGM battery in the future.
      no more acid damage from spills or fumes.
      plus there only a few bucks more if you shop around.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post
        battery is harder to access than the 1100EZ.
        BTDT ! I feel your pain.
        82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Crikey, are people still dumping leaky nasty acid-oozing low-rent pitiful old-fashioned wet batteries into their GSs?

I thought this was 2014.
          1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
          2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
          2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
          Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Working...
          X