Honda RR kits available again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by OldVet66 View Post
    Shunt R/R's. These were the best R/R's to be had before the Series R/R's came along.
    Indeed, and with the price and his guarantee, you can't go wrong for the shunt type. The Honda R/R on my '83 Magna is original and with 35K miles, there is still not much charring or cooking of the wires. Honda also mounted these externally and I am sure that helps to a degree. I polished the fins on mine but I think I will bead blast it like Duaneage does.

I am tearing down the 850G currently and noticed a good amount of stiffness and charring on the stator and hot red wires in my harness, if I wasn't planning keeping the bike forever, I would get one of these in a heartbeat. I also plan on adding grip heaters, LEDs and other accessories to this bike so a series (probably the Polaris SH775 since I fitted the Compufire to my 750) R/R is in my future.
    Last edited by mikerophone; 12-26-2014, 01:24 PM. Reason: Spellings!
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    2014 BMW F800GSA | 1981 GS850GX | 1982 GS750T (now the son-in-laws) | 1983 GS750ES | 1983 Honda V45 Magna (needs some love) | 1980 Yamaha GT80 and LB80 "Chappy" | 1973 and 1975 Honda XL250 projects

Comment

One feature I like is the mounting holes are the same as Suzuki OEM. Makes it easy to replace and looks stock.
      1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
      1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

I am replying because I just figured out how to find threads that I have interest in.I have owned and raced many GS's.Never had problem.Ever.On the other hand,with all that I am putting into these things,$50 is less than some of the shipping costs incurred from the stuff I have bought.Are these new? What is the deal with the polaris versions?
        Current Rides: 82 GS1100E, 00 Triumph 955 Speed Triple, 03 Kawasaki ZRX1200, 01 Honda GL1800, '15 Kawasaki 1000 Versys
        Past Rides: 72 Honda SL-125, Kawasaki KE-175, 77 GS750 with total yosh stage 1 kit, 79 GS1000s, 80 GS1000S, 82 GS750e,82 GS1000S, 84 VF500f, 86 FZR600, 95 Triumph Sprint 900,96 Triumph Sprint, 97 Triumph Sprint, 01 Kawasaki ZRX1200, 07 Triumph Tiger 1050, 01 Yam YFZ250F
        Work in progress: 78 GS1000, unknown year GS1100ES

Comment

Yes, some folks have had no charging issues,others,like me, have had plenty. You want Polaris p/n 4012941 used on some atv's . It will be clearly marked as SH-775. Negotiate with a Polaris dealer- you might save over online.

did your searching find this thread?

1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

98% of people who received regulators from me are happy with them, many have returned to buy more when they got new bikes. I actually procure, modify and stand behind these parts rather than suggest doing it all yourself. Plenty of alternatives exist. I don't make outlandish claims but I have shipped hundreds and think the Honda RR is the best overall choice for reliability, fit, performance and suitability to the GS bike. Replacing the OEM RR is part of a larger process of reconditioning the electrical system of a 30 year old bike including cleaning contacts, replacing corroded plugs, and a fresh stator which hasn't been cooked in oil and damaged by a shorted regulator.

It's a regulator and all it has to do is regulate properly without failing and damaging other components. Luckily we have an alternative that works, some bikes have problems that can't be cured like bad valvetrain design or obscure parts which fail and are unavailable.

If the Honda RR is collectively considered outdated or obsolete to the point it's not recommended I can retire my soldering iron and volt meter since there are many other roads to ride. Maybe someone here can offer another kit at a reasonable price that satisfies all the questions. I was asked by several members to start offering them again last year and obliged.

Comment

"It's a regulator and all it has to do is regulate properly without failing and damaging other components"

well yeah, but imagine if it not only regulated voltage ,but limited current to all that bike needed at any moment and do this feat reliably i.e. Shindengen style, how wonderful life would be for that stator sitting in 250 degree oil!
              1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

#4 If you don't want to buy one of the SERIES R/R's above (It is possible you just don't have the money and for smaller CC bikes with less cooling issues it doesn't matter as much) The Honda(or equivalent 6 wire R/R formerly sold by Duanage) is your best SHUNT design R/R.
                Honda R/R Poll
                SH541 regulator (8 wire with sense, 25 amp rating)
                How To Honda R/R Install

Comment

Originally posted by uk gs nut View Post
                  Now the fun begins
                  Yes indeed. I was cautioned and didn't heed.

Comment

I certainly wasnt doubting anyone or feel accused.No disrespect was intended,just trying to be informed.A Canadian(I believe) spoke of just using a new hd batery ground.I did find a sellf-made ground strap on my bike that I had used years ago.The bike wont get used much,but the battery, as it will be very easy to R&R, would used in 3-4 other bikes and would always be on a good trickle charger when not in use. When I was in the biz,most of the charging system problems were related to really cheap,junk batteries that where prevalent in our area and were ALWAYS bad when the system was burnt up. You mention cleaning connections.Is there a solution to dip connections into for a good through cleaning?How about a source for quality electrical connections?
                    Current Rides: 82 GS1100E, 00 Triumph 955 Speed Triple, 03 Kawasaki ZRX1200, 01 Honda GL1800, '15 Kawasaki 1000 Versys
                    Past Rides: 72 Honda SL-125, Kawasaki KE-175, 77 GS750 with total yosh stage 1 kit, 79 GS1000s, 80 GS1000S, 82 GS750e,82 GS1000S, 84 VF500f, 86 FZR600, 95 Triumph Sprint 900,96 Triumph Sprint, 97 Triumph Sprint, 01 Kawasaki ZRX1200, 07 Triumph Tiger 1050, 01 Yam YFZ250F
                    Work in progress: 78 GS1000, unknown year GS1100ES

Comment

new guy here.....what does this version R/R offer that the stock one doesnt.....im HONESTLY not sure what these do over all but ive been reading and have a small idea.....and if i have understood it well enough, i will be ordering one next week!!!

Comment

I just ordered one of these from Duane. I had originally ordered one from Electrosport, then found out that it's a POS (relatively speaking). Thanks for offering a decent RR at an affordable price.

Duane: Is there a particular stator that you recommend using for replacement?

Thread Hijackers: Seriously? I understand the merits of a series RR. I'm glad that you love yours. Perhaps I will use one some day, as well. But it sounds like Duane is offering a good product at a very fair price. No need to hijack his thread. I have a feeling that this shunt RR will suit my needs quite nicely. Thank you.

Comment

My mom used to say....
                          "you can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink."
                          1981 gs650L

Comment

Now that your have your R/R sorted, the next step is to do a conversion to LEDs and reduce the power requirements of your system..........Oh ...........Shunt R/R .

Never mind
                            Last edited by posplayr; 01-20-2015, 11:10 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
                              Now that your have your R/R sorted, the next step is to do a conversion to LEDs and reduce the power requirements of your system..........Oh ...........Shunt R/R .

Never mind
                              Jim, you had me going on the one until l linked on the link. My phone only shows part of the first line until I do. LOL.
                              '84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/

Comment

I have a Centric stator in my 650G, OEM still in the 1000G. Basscliff turned me on to them. They are about 90 dollars.
                                Never used a Ricks or electrosport. The Centric was well made and came with the grommet, something not always provided.

Comment

Working...
                                X