Wires to nowhere?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wires to nowhere?

These are under the cowling of my GS1100ES. They come from the same part of the wiring harness as the headlight wires. What are they for?

sigpic
    1983 GS1100ES (Bought July 2014)
    1983 GS1100E (Bought July 2014)
    1985 GS700ES (Bought June 2015) Sold
    On Christ the Solid Rock I Stand
    All Other Ground is Sinking Sand

black/white tracer is a ground.
    be aware that every wire from the harness doesn't necessarily go somewhere.

Comment

Hard to tell, but if the yellow wire has a black line they could be for the fuel gauge. Do they happen to be near the tank/seat interface?

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
      1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
      1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

There's a "free" brown wire on both my 78 1000 and my 85 750EF,the EF has a black /white tracer as well.I use it to run my voltmeter.

Comment

Seems like I remember a set of color codes somewhere in the manual

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
            Seems like I remember a set of color codes somewhere in the manual
            That's why I was asking about the yellow/black wire since it and a black/white correspond to the wire combination that goes to the fuel gauge and seems to be overlooked by so many.

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
            1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
            1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

These are just behind the headlight. The fuel gauge does not work and I did find the yellow and black wire that goes down from the dash into the main part of the harness but I have not followed it to the other end yet.
              Last edited by glib; 02-02-2015, 09:47 PM.
              sigpic

Comment

Does your headlight have a "park" bulb in it? IE: a smaller 5w bulb?

If not, it might be for that. Different countries have different regulations for park lighting specs, so Suzuki would have made a universal harness for all countries and just not connected what they didn't use.
                Current:
                Z1300A5 Locomotive (swapped my Intruder for it), GS450 Cafe Project (might never finish it....), XT500 Commuter (I know - it's a Yamaha )

Past:
                VL1500 Intruder (swapped for Z1300), ZX9R Streetfighter (lets face it - too fast....), 1984 GSX750EF, 1984 GSX1100EF (AKA GS1150)
                And a bunch of other crap Yamahas....

Comment

No "park" bulb. Sounds logical.
                  sigpic

Comment

I see that the GS1100E model wiring harness is available but the ES model harness is "obsolete." Where do we go for a replacement?
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by glib View Post
                      I see that the GS1100E model wiring harness is available but the ES model harness is "obsolete." Where do we go for a replacement?

Your best bet is to refurbish what you have, the ESD's are rare so there are not too many used ones around for sale and there are no factory parts available. The ED/EX harness is pretty different to the ESD mainly due to the clocks with the electronic RPM. I did a coil relay mod for a memeber on his ESD and I was surprised how much different the harness was from the ED.

If you have connector damage, most of those can be replaced. If you do pickup a new ED, it would probably be possible to convert it to a ESD harness using parts from your old harness but that would takes some engineering I would assume. Where a refurb is just parts swapping.

Those spare wires are also on almost every other GS , they are a ground (B/W) and a Signal wire(for driving lights if you choose). The Brown, Grey and O/G are all connected . If you look at the schematic you will see how they connect through the ignition switch .
                      Last edited by posplayr; 02-04-2015, 02:09 PM.

Comment

I used those two spare wires to power running lights in my front turn signals. I installed some later model GS turn signals on my 750 just to have them. I spliced both running lights into the spare signal wire plugs, the grey one and the brown I believe. I used a current tester to determine the ones who had power with lights on.
                        sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
                        1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
                        2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Originally posted by hillsy View Post
                          Does your headlight have a "park" bulb in it? IE: a smaller 5w bulb?

If not, it might be for that. Different countries have different regulations for park lighting specs, so Suzuki would have made a universal harness for all countries and just not connected what they didn't use.
                          Yep, they're for the "parking" or "city" light circuit and only used in certain countries. I believe it's a small low-wattage bulb intended to illuminate the headlight so you're still somewhat visible with the main headlamp off. Lots of bikes have this circuit -- in the US, it's just not connected to anything since our regulations require that the headlight always stays on.
                          1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                          2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                          2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                          Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Thank you for the info! Funny how you feel great about acquiring a hard to find model--and then you find out some important parts are hard to find too...hope I never crack the headlight!
                            sigpic

Comment

Working...
                            X