Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can anyone tell what wire this is? (1979 suzuki gs850)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can anyone tell what wire this is? (1979 suzuki gs850)

Hi everyone,

I have a suzuki gs850g (1979 model).

While looking over the bike I noticed a couple wires in the mid-rear of the bike (usually hidden under the left side cover) that are connected together with a wire nut. (must have been done by one of the 2 or more previous owners).

I was considering getting a soldering gun and soldering them together but wanted to get more info before I even thought of doing anything.

CameraZOOM-20150208134325606.jpg

You know winter is a good time to clean up wiring issues from creative previous owners! Red wires mean battery positive usually. Of course, you've seen Basscliff's wiring diagram collection......

1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

That photo just makes me positively ITCH for my meter and can of Deoxit.

I have a few ideas, but without physically chasing each part of that fustercluck to wherever it goes, I'm not gonna post any guesses.

Even if the bike was running like that, it could still be a Very Bad Idea to just solder it together and hope for the best, so track it down and ponder a wiring diagram for a while.
      1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Pretty sure the large gauge red wire with the clear plastic 'bag' attached to it was intended to go directly to the + battery terminal. The PO put it to the positive on the starter relay instead. Soldering it together won't harm anything and the bike will work as it has been but if you get the gumption you may want to do some preventative electrical work, but then again I've seen worse and they've been riding across the country.
        Last edited by azr; 02-09-2015, 10:57 PM.
        Rob
        1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
        Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Originally, it had a bullet connector, and that got corroded/fell apart. ( judging by all the corrosion )
          heres a nos positive bat wire:
          850bat.JPG

Comment

Originally posted by azr View Post
            Pretty sure the large gauge red wire with the clear plastic 'bag' attached to it was intended to go directly to the + battery terminal. The PO put it to the positive on the starter relay instead.
            Electrically speaking, it does not matter which end of the wire you connect to. Personally, I try to have just one connection at the battery and take all my power feeds from the solenoid. The theory is that I will be dealing with battery changes more often (hopefully very seldom) than I will solenoid changes, so I make it easier by having just one wire there.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
            X