No announcement yet.

Disassembled GS750 - want to test compression

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

While you have the starter out and are, presumably, doing a bunch of other maintenance, feel free to change the o-ring on its 'nose'.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

We will be completely refurbishing everything that needs it. Was hoping for some positive data regarding compression. I did test the starter as you suggested. I removed it and clamped in a vice. once i hooked it up to a battery i heard the faintest noise, so i tapped the starter housing with the handle of my screwdriver and it started to rotate VERY LOUDLY and with almost no rotational speed. Thing is toast . I was able to stop the rotation with almost no pressure.

I then proceeded to remove the side cover and hooked up a drill and 17mm socket to "manually" crank the motor over. 60psi . Ran out of time to do any more testing to see if its valves or seals...

Comment

You have compression so before worrying about other things email Steve and get his handy dandy spreadsheet that does all the math for you.Then go and check the valve clearances.Like tkent said 97% of the times it's things like that gets bikes parked.The starter may not be beyond saving either,there are rebuild kits available so it's worth your while to take it apart first.
        Edit:Opps you have an 82 750,you can skip the email to Steve as that's for 2 valve with shim motors.Go here http://www.mtsac.edu/~cliff/storage/...50_16valve.pdf
        and follow the procedure outlined for checking the valve.I have both types and the locknut adjust is WAY easier.
        Last edited by Guest; 10-13-2015, 06:02 PM.

Comment

60 on all of them is actually very good for an engine that's sat for years. Once you adjust the valves correctly, fix everything else and run it hard a few thousand miles it will have very good compression. I guarantee it. If it had burnt valves or broken rings or anything like that they wouldn't all read anywhere near the same.

I have had quite a few of these engines "fix themselves" this way.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

I took apart the starter - holy cow it was filled with black soot! no wonder it wouldn't spin! I cleaned it up but unfortunately my friend who was helping me, managed to break the brushes with a Q-tip!! I LOL'ed and have subsequently named him Q-tip. We will go with a rebuild kit. Got a favorite out there? As a side note, there is quite a bit of wear on the end where the brushes touch - looks concave somewhat:

Comment

Working...
            X