ignition sender coils/units availability -exchange

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ignition sender coils/units availability -exchange

Hello folks, so I have been having some grief with my lovely old gs 1000 E, after tearing down the carbs and renewing plugs and leads, I eventually worked my way back to the sender coils,, and found that the ohm reading on one was 7 and the other was reading 003 (not exactly sure if that's thousands tens or singles, but its enough to know there is a huge difference between the two ! the ignition system is obviously an after market job, a little blue box of a thing with two orange two white and two black wires from it So here are my question has anybody changed one of these coils can you get them? can you just buy the plate and not the whole system? and thirdly would an original sender plate from an 850 do the job? I know that the 850 has a centrifugal system, but surely the senders just pulse.so is just using the plate an option .. thank you for any input. Simon

If you are able. Get a Dyna s and coils much better ignition
    sigpic1982 gs750e 1186 oil cooled engine USD front mono shock rear
    1994 gsxr1100w
    1981 gs1260dragbike (this one I've owned for29yrs)

Comment

sounds as if someone installed a dyna 2000 kit. if your signal generator(sensor plate) under the right side cover leads to a blue box, then it's more than likely that it's a dyna 2000. you could do as akckhim said and replace the signal generator and box with a dyna s, which will eliminate that box entirely. the dyna s uses pulser coils that incorporate all of the firing pulse signal circuitry into the pulser coils, eliminating the need for an ignitor box that the signal generator sends the firing signals to. as far as the coils, you may already have the dyna coils if you have the dyna 2000 system. you'll know if you have them because the wire ports point toward the engine at an angle, and they have dyna molded into the coil case

Comment

I think the first step would be to positively identify what you are working with.

"Blue box" would lead one to think of a Dyna 2000, but these are usually prominently marked.

Investigate further and/or post some pics; without more info, speculation isn't all that useful.
        1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Thank you for that, there was some markings on the "blue box" but it has worn away, the coils are GILL they give a reading of 2.8 ohms each, and seem to be ok altho that might be a little low, I did some more tracking back, and I was wrong about the senders they seem fine, with equal ohms. so maybe if I describe the symptoms, she just gets to 2500/3000 revs then wont push through. Initially I thought carbs but I have thoroughly cleaned them, and put another set on and still the same thing. I can go about a mile and then she dies, slightly further if I keep the revs really low, lots of backfiring and popping, I have new plugs checked the caps (5k bang on) the leads all read the same. so I am thinking coils or blue box, maybe the coils are breaking down after they warm up...or the ignition advance isn't working.. just scratching my head, so a few more questions for those that know...do these after market ignition systems run on a lower ohmage coil....can the box still fire and yet not advance the timing.... how do I remove the centrifugal weights of the 850 (bit leftfield that one) thanks for any input once again gratefully received.

Comment

Does the advancer rotor turn freely? And it sounds like something is going out as things heat up. Could be your blue box. Sounds as if that thing has had a bit of abuse

Comment

Working...
            X