Dyna coils

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dyna coils

I am interested in getting a pair of new coils for my '82 GS1100EZ. What is the Dyna coil part number that fits my bike.
    Thanks.

Patrick.

try some accells. looks nicer and come ready to bolts in

Accel Coils.jpg

Comment

Yes, those accels look nicer, but he seems to want dyna.....

If you’ve renewed the spark plugs on your vintage motorcycle, but it still feels bogged, the culprit could be the coils or spark plug wires. A fault in either one of these components will prevent the spark plugs from firing, leaving you with a dead cylinder and a sluggish ride. If everything else in the charging and ignition systems is in order, new coils and plug wires will likely get you back up and running.
      1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by sharpy View Post
        try some accells. looks nicer and come ready to bolts in

[ATTACH=CONFIG]53911[/ATTACH]
        I am under the impression that the Dyna coils are also ready to bolt in, but "look nicer" is a matter of opinion.

And, since they are buried under the fuel tank, absolutely NOBODY is going to be impressed by seeing them.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

someone prove me wrong please, but i never seen nice fitting Dyna coils on a GS/GSX suzi.

Comment

I have a similar question. How do you guys mount the Dyna coils on the GS frame. There has to be some sort of offset fabrication being done. Anyone have pictures?

Comment

Originally posted by sharpy View Post
              someone prove me wrong please, but i never seen nice fitting Dyna coils on a GS/GSX suzi.
              Here is my set up on the 1000e. Nice clean installation. Consider yourself proved wrong...
              Attached Files
              My Motorcycles:
              22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
              22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
              82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
              81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
              79 1000e (all original)
              82 850g (all original)
              80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

Originally posted by storm 64 View Post
                Here is my set up on the 1000e. Nice clean installation. Consider yourself proved wrong...
                Neat install and proven wrong, but they still look like something off a tractor.

Comment

my dyna install on an 1100 e involved some nylon spacers, some washers, and a dab or two of liquid electrical tape for good measure. Haven't looked under there for a bit but i suspect I am still not 100% satisfied with the install....sorry, not helpful, eh?
                  1983 GS 1100 ESD

Comment

My original coils had what appeared to be aluminum spacers but they were just a hair short for the Dyna coils. My local hardware place , Lowes, had nylon spacers of varying lengths and one fit perfectly. It was one of the simplest things to install of all the things I had to do. I will try and dig through my stuff to see if I can find the length I used but a ruler and a quick trip once you have the coils in hand will make install a snap.

Comment

Originally posted by Boriqua View Post
                      My original coils had what appeared to be aluminum spacers but they were just a hair short for the Dyna coils. My local hardware place , Lowes, had nylon spacers of varying lengths and one fit perfectly. It was one of the simplest things to install of all the things I had to do. I will try and dig through my stuff to see if I can find the length I used but a ruler and a quick trip once you have the coils in hand will make install a snap.
                      The only thing wrong with a non metal spacer is that the coils need to be properly grounded to function properly.

Comment

seems dyna are for anybike. lots of people modding for a simple install. Isnt a big deal but seems a universal fit. Not being a smartie. but accell had everything in box and enough coil lead for 2 fittings if i remember. Pretty full on kit....

e140403.jpg
                        Last edited by Guest; 02-15-2018, 04:30 AM.

Comment

I can tell you the dyna coils on my 83 1100esd were not a straight bolt up. There had to be brackets built for them to fit, they will not bolt to the stock mounts, even with spacers.
                          1978 Gs1085 compliments of Popy Yosh, Bandit 1200 wheels and front end, VM33 Smoothbores, Yosh exhaust, braced frame, ported polished head
                          1983 Gs1100ESD, rebuild finished! Body paintwork happening winter 2017

I would rather trust my bike to a technician that reads the service manual than some backyardigan that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix things.

Comment

"The only thing wrong with a non metal spacer is that the coils need to be properly grounded to function properly."

Depends on the system, I think. On my XS650 I ran a dual output coil with points. Only the condenser used a ground. Much discussion can be found on the whole coil grounding issue with use of the google button.

Comment

Its also grounded between the head of the bolt that is in direct contact with the coil and the nut that attaches to the frame. Its grounded through the bolt and the spacer isnt needed as a ground.

Comment

Working...
                              X