Key Coding question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Key Coding question

I have what I believe is the original key, it turns easily in the ignition and seat release, the problem is after so many years it has developed a bit of a bend in it and I am concerned for if it decides to snap in my pocket/ toolbox so I purchased a blank suzuki key of the same style.

My key has a 3 digit number on the base of the blade, is this the code that a locksmith would need to cut the new key?
    I dont have it on me right now for any of the inside suzuki guys to confirm if it is a factory code but I can attach it later if needed.

Yes, that is the code. But also a decent key cutting guy at a decent hardware store can copy your key with the blank that you supply - this is what I did years ago.
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

The 1st guy I talked to had 2 things to say:

1 I cant copy a bent key or the new one will take the same shape.

2 My machine wont accept this key.

Maybe Ill try ACE this week if I remember.

Comment

Try someplace else ,like a place that serves bikes ,atvs,etc you might find someone who won't be baffled..
        or see if this ebay guy has your key number

1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

If the profile (the steps/grooves that run up the length of the blade) of the old key and the blank match there should be no issue. Even if it's bent! can't be that bent or it wouldn't operate in the barrel. I confident keysmith would probably place the original in a vice or press to carefully straighten it if needed.

Maybe modern high street services use computerized machines these days, but if you find an old school locksmith the cutting process should be down to the skill of the operator. They put the blank in the cutter and there's an arm to the original which traces the bumps and dips. as above, find someone else. I'm luck I have a real nice friendly local locksmith. he's also a keen biker.

Comment

Lowe's stores have a machine that will copy your existing key. Don't think you get the option of using your own blank though. I assume the bend occured above the portion that sticks down into the cylinder?
            Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

This year I've got two good keys for 2 different GS bikes from this guy on ebay: Cycle Keys online
              Cycle Keys Online, your one-stop shop for all your powersports key cutting needs! We specialize in crafting keys for Motorcycles, ATVs, Side-by-Sides, Scooters, and Boats. With us, you can rest assured you'll receive a perfectly cut key. Our state-of-the-art technology and extensive key database ensure that we can match the unique specifications of your powersports vehicle. Our user-friendly online platform allows you to easily provide the necessary information about your vehicle so we can swiftly create a key. With secure trackable shipping and responsive customer support, we ensure that your key arrives promptly and offers a perfect fit on the first try. Not just thrown in a non-trackable envelope with a stamp that's easily destroyed in postal sorting equipment, like other key makers do... and we offer full money back returns. Cycle Keys Online - because the key to your exhilarating journey starts with us!

Both keys work fine & he was fast, cheap and helpfull... I Did have to wire wheel one down for a bout a min on the bench but not complaining when it arrives at my door in 2 days.

Comment

Who has the black ended key blanks for sale? Someone on here does just don't remember.

Comment

Originally posted by nejeff View Post
                  Who has the black ended key blanks for sale? Someone on here does just don't remember.
                  Kiwicanuck....
                  Old age and treachery will beat youth and skill every time
                  Originally Posted by Schweisshund I mean, sure, guns were used in some of these mass shootings, but not all of them
                  1983 GS 750

Comment

Locksmith != hardware store. An old time locksmith has magical powers...
                    sigpic
                    09 Kaw C14 Rocket powered Barcalounger
                    1983 GS1100e
                    82\83 1100e Frankenbike
                    1980 GS1260
                    Previous 65 Suzuki 80 Scrambler, 76 KZ900, 02 GSF1200S, 81 GS1100e, 80 GS850G

Comment

Originally posted by bobgroger View Post
                      Locksmith != hardware store. An old time locksmith has magical powers...
                      Yep. Although there's a lady who is The Key Ninja at on particular local hardware store. She has The Touch with their old-fashioned cutter.

But the rest all just have a crappy machine and a teenager who isn't allowed to cut anything that's not strictly by the book.

For just about anything key related that's not a bog-standard Kwikset house key, I visit a local locksmith shop. I haven't yet stumped her, even with weird Chinese off-brand luggage keys and all manner of motorcycle keys. She did have to order blanks for my KLR650 once.
                      1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Working...
                      X