Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need to replace this connector, what's it called?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anybody of you guys knows under which trade name(s) this connector can be had?

(Click for high-res)

Background: Need to replace a faulty left hand light switch control assembly. The connector to the wiring loom seems to be somewhat unique to the euro market, as various countries back then required different modes of illumination. Here, switchable low-beam and rear parking light (but not front) was required. Sourcing original replacement assemblies is either cost-prohibitive or they come with different connector(s).

New connectors would allow me to easily create a neat plug-and-play solution.
    #1: 1979 GS 550 EC "Red" – Very first Bike / Overhaul thread        New here? ☛ Read the Top 10 Newbie mistakes thread
    #2: 1978 GS 550 EC "Blue" – Can't make it a donor / "Rebuild" thread     Manuals (and much more): See Cliff's homepage here
    #3: 2014 Moto Guzzi V7 II Racer – One needs a runner while wrenching
    #4: 1980 Moto Guzzi V65C – Something to chill

In HVAC we often refer to them as molex plugs
    sigpic
    When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
    -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
    -Rusty old scooter.
    Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
    https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

You can go to www.vintageconnections.com but you'll need to use two separate 6-pin connectors like this one (I haven't seen a 12-pin to directly replace it but that doesn't mean much)

Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
      1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
      2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
      Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
      and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

I don't where to find that connector but check www.vintageconnections.com/Products/Connectors and easternbeaver.com/Main/Elec__Products/Connectors/connectors.html for alternatives.

You'll have to replace both male and female plugs and might have to use two 6 prong connectors.
        Jordan

1977 Suzuki GS750 (My first bike)
        2000 Kawasaki ZRX1100
        1973 BMW R75/5

Comment

That's a Molex or Molex-style connector somebody added later. It's not an original or OEM connector. It looks a lot like the power connectors used in computers and in many appliances.

This style of unsealed Molex connector is not intended for use in a vehicle, and it's not intended to be used where it's exposed to moisture. It's a very inexpensive connector intended for stationary indoor use, like appliances, HVAC, computers, etc.

You can get Molex connectors, pins, and tools at any decent electronics store. Digikey and Mouser are the usual online sources, although their interfaces are brain-crampingly awful unless you can scare up a part number somewhere else. But honestly, I'd strongly consider replacing that mess with something more appropriate and reliable.

Vintage Connections ( http://www.vintageconnections.com/Products/Connectors ) has most or all of the vintage OEM style connectors you'll find on an old Suzuki. Note that even the unsealed connectors use spade terminals, and not the round terminals.

Eastern Beaver ( https://easternbeaver.com/Main/Elec_...onnectors.html ) has most of the connectors you'd find on modern-era Japanese bikes. If you poke around, you'll also find lots of info on crimpers, etc.
          Last edited by bwringer; 10-11-2018, 09:04 AM.
          1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
          2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
          2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
          Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Some of those types of connectors have very specific names...
            Due to the trouble I have had with them I call them all %#@*%&# .

Back to the original thread intent
            Currently in the Stable :
            2002 Honda Goldwing GL1800 Sunburst Pearl Orange
            1983 Suzuki GS850 GL Blue & Black

" I am never lost until I run out of fuel...until that moment I am EXPLORING."
            - Carl R. Munkwitz

Munk's Maxim: "There is no such thing as a cheap motorcycle"

Comment

Thanks for all the replies!

Now, I'm somewhat familiar with the Molex Connectors; and they're what I've thought of first as well - but I was unable to find a series designation which had this exact same socket/terminal layout: All terminals are keyed, and there's a gap between the "upper" and "lower" rows. Hence why I tried to pick the GSR hive mind.

I already have the unsealed motorcycle connectors that Vintage Connections and Eastern Beaver are offering; back from my last visit to a localmotorcycle gear shop, in addition to a $h!t-ton of bullet connectors (they can be had very cheaply off ebay). But; all your comments made me think; why not upgrade to proper sealed connectors? I've seen those already on my Guzzi; and why not harmonize the connectors across my fleet?

So I set out to determine what the Guzzi connectors are called (surely they don't build their own), and sure enough, apparently those are Metri-Packs. Even better, they can be had for a very reasonable price off ebay (since I'm located in Europe, it's a better option for me than aforementioned suppliers). Note however that rated current sometimes is omitted, in this case, refer to blade width. Here's a FAQ which lists blade widths and their current capability: https://www.whiteproducts.com/metripack-faqs.shtml

I'm under the impression that the connector in the first post is used on both of my GS'es, but I'm not sure. Going to verify this. Even though if this connector has no business on my bike, it has been installed properly, the same cannot be said of other installations I've found on this bike...(at least they were using bullet and crimped butt connectors, and no solder).

The only problem with the Metri-Packs so far is that their biggest size is 6 pins in-line, on some connections I'd like to have a higher count in a denser configuration, without the need for yet another connector type.
              #1: 1979 GS 550 EC "Red" – Very first Bike / Overhaul thread        New here? ☛ Read the Top 10 Newbie mistakes thread
              #2: 1978 GS 550 EC "Blue" – Can't make it a donor / "Rebuild" thread     Manuals (and much more): See Cliff's homepage here
              #3: 2014 Moto Guzzi V7 II Racer – One needs a runner while wrenching
              #4: 1980 Moto Guzzi V65C – Something to chill

Comment

I don't recall seeing a 12 pin connector like that on the GSes I've worked on, but I have a pretty small sample size.

You can get waterproof Molex Connectors, used on SeaDoos, but the connectors are quite different.

'83 GS650G
                '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

Yup, most 12 pin Molex connectors are mostly 4X3, not 6X2. And they normally latch on the long side, not the short sides. No idea where that one came from or where to find a mate. It's likely Molex-style and not actual Molex, or came from some other gadget.

Anyway, off it goes. Deutsch connectors are the usual go-to for bombproof wiring around here, but the tools and parts are hellishly expensive.

Weather Pack and Metri-Pack are great as well, and just to make things even more obtuse, there are several other common names for these systems.
                  1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                  2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                  2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                  Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Working...
                  X