No announcement yet.

Blows main fuse when I turn on the key?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"...although the rectifier is fairly hot to the touch, but not so hot it burns your hand. FYI, I always have the lights burning when I ride.
    So, Gumpster & I figured it must have been an old and possibly sulfated battery causing my problems."

highly unlikely that battery -good or bad - has anything to do with this. The r/r is happy to dump its excess if battery refuses it
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

[QUOTE=tom203;2508944]"...although the rectifier is fairly hot to the touch, but not so hot it burns your hand. FYI, I always have the lights burning when I ride.
      So, Gumpster & I figured it must have been an old and possibly sulfated battery causing my problems."

highly unlikely that battery -good or bad - has anything to do with this. The r/r is happy to dump its excess if battery refuses it
      [/QUOTE
      yea, I’m struggling to figure out what the difference would be . To a first approximation a bad battery with higher internal resistance (if the model is reciprical) would accept less current causing the r/r to dump more meaning less current through the main fuse.

Comment

Redman, You were right! Went out this afternoon to start the bike, turned on the key, and the main fuse blew. So, per your suggestion I unhooked the horn, replaced the fuse and all worked fine. Went for a 30 mike ride with no issues

Thanks!

Comment

However, now the oil temp gauge is working? Strange for sure. Anyhow, I will keep muddling through this issue. Electrical gremlins are not my strong suite! But I’m stubborn and will eventually figure this out!

So, got a couple questions for ya. 1. What and where do you suggest I get a new horn from? 2. Think I should replace the oil temp gauge too? I just don’t trust it now plus the old one is fogged up and looks like the seal might be bad allowing moisture inside. Any suggestions on a oil temp gauge?

Thanks!

Comment

You can pick up a couple of horns (high and low) from OReilly's and connect them into the wiring using a relay. Do a search here as there are quite a few threads about it
            Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
            1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
            2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
            Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
            and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Originally posted by PAC315 View Post
              However, now the oil temp gauge is working? Strange for sure. Anyhow, I will keep muddling through this issue. Electrical gremlins are not my strong suite! But I’m stubborn and will eventually figure this out!

So, got a couple questions for ya. 1. What and where do you suggest I get a new horn from? 2. Think I should replace the oil temp gauge too? I just don’t trust it now plus the old one is fogged up and looks like the seal might be bad allowing moisture inside. Any suggestions on a oil temp gauge?

Thanks!

You should probably consider changing out that R?R especially if it is getting hot (over 120 degF). If it is a stock R/R it is the most likely culprit to failing stators and it is a matter of standard practice to replace them with an SH-775 or other series R/R (Compufire).

Comment

Originally posted by PAC315 View Post
                ................... ............. I unhooked the horn, replaced the fuse and all worked fine. Went for a 30 mike ride with no issues
                Well, the problem had been intermittent (occur occasional, not all the time, everytime) so we dont absolutely know that was THE problem. If the problem does not reoccur in, say, three times as long as it might have happened before, then you could have a fair idea that could have been the problem. Try reconnecting the horn and see if it happens again right away, then WILL have a good idea that was the problem.

Easiest way to replace the horns are to find a stock set on ebay. Unless you want to take this opportunity to upgrade and install something else. About anything else will require some wiring for 2 reasons:1)bigger horns take more power and dont want that going thru the horn button so need to add a relay and more power wiring, 2) some horn are grounded thru thier mounting which is incompatable with the stock wiring.

I dont have any suggestion for you relative to your oil tmp gusge, other than I wonder if IT might be the cause of your problems of blowing fuses. Maybe leave horn disconnected and see how long you go without fuse blowing. If fuse does blow again and if also that is when the temp gauge quits working again... then maybe the oil temp guage is more the suspect.

Last edited by Redman; 10-29-2018, 12:29 PM.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Originally posted by Redman View Post
                  Well, the problem had been intermittent (occur occasional, not all the time, everytime) so we dont absolutely know that was THE problem. If the problem does not reoccur in, say, three times as long as it might have happened before, then you could have a fair idea that could have been the problem. Try reconnecting the horn and see if it happens again right away, then WILL have a good idea that was the problem.

Easiest way to replace the horns are to find a stock set on ebay. Unless you want to take this opportunity to upgrade and install something else. About anything else will require some wiring for 2 reasons:1)bigger horns take more power and dont want that going thru the horn button so need to add a relay and more power wiring, 2) some horn are grounded thru thier mounting which is incompatable with the stock wiring.

I dont have any suggestion for you relative to your oil tmp gusge, other than I wonder if IT might be the cause of your problems of blowing fuses. Maybe leave horn disconnected and see how long you go without fuse blowing. If fuse does blow again and if also that is when the temp gauge quits working again... then maybe the oil temp guage is more the suspect.

+1 Which is to say all options are still on the table.

Comment

Working...
                  X