Revving brightens lights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Revving brightens lights

I haven't had any problems with the charging system in the 6 years I've owned the GS, but I've also never noticed this before. The bike was sitting at idle, and when I goosed the throttle, the headlight got brighter.

It seemed proper to me, indicating the charging system is working. There was nothing wrong with the lights at idle, they just got brighter when revved.

I don't have a meter and I won't be doing any testing, but is this good and proper?

It's a brand new Yuasa AGM that I keep fully charged.
    1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

At idle you have something like 12.8 - 13.1 depending on the load. As soon as you increase motor speed the voltage goes up and with it the brightness.
    It should then cut off at a few thousand rpm and stop increasing in brightness at something like 14.2 or thereabouts.
    It's a standard check for me before and after almost every ride.
    Get a meter. Reasonable quality can be got for less than twenty. Removes a whole lot of guesswork.
    Last edited by Brendan W; 08-13-2019, 04:28 AM.
    97 R1100R
    Previous
    80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post
      I don't have a meter and I won't be doing any testing, ...
      Originally posted by Brendan W View Post
      Get a meter.
      Brendan, you don't understand. Watching his posts over the years, I have noticed:
      1. he lives in New York City.
      2. he has posted that he likes to do about 100 mph just about every time he goes out.
      3. he takes every little problem to his mechanic.
      If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space.

Comment

Originally posted by Who Dat? View Post
        Brendan, you don't understand. Watching his posts over the years, I have noticed:
        2. he has posted that he likes to do about 100 mph just about every time he goes out.
        No, I get the whole riders and fixers tribes thing.
        See it in boats, cars and planes.
        One end says get a meter and polish, the other says get out and ride and ne'er the twain shall meet
        97 R1100R
        Previous
        80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Pretty common on older bikes. Newer bikes tend to have more robust charging systems. The old wiring doesnt help either.

Comment

.............. indicating the charging system is working. ..............
            Yes.
            THe charging system doesnt put out much at idle, so at idle the lights are operating at battery voltage, say 12 point something low.
            WHen rev the engine, then the charging system is putting out something, so the voltage is then, say 13 point something high.

You have discovered a quick easy way to somewhat check the charging system every time you ride. Look at light shining on garage wall, or your reflection in car/truck ahead of you at a stop light or in a parking lot. Doesnt tell you every thing you need to know, but you will know the charging system is functioning as opposed to complelty failed.

I don't have a meter ..................
            You have a bike from the 80s, you could benifit from having a meter.
            You have a 80s GS. You will need a meter at some point.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
            GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

. . . . . . but I've also never noticed this before. .
              Good to see that you are taking an interest in such.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
              GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

I haven't had any problems with the charging system in the 6 years I've owned the GS, but I've also never noticed this before. The bike was sitting at idle, and when I goosed the throttle, the headlight got brighter.

It seemed proper to me, indicating the charging system is working. There was nothing wrong with the lights at idle, they just got brighter when revved.

I don't have a meter and I won't be doing any testing, but is this good and proper?

It's a brand new Yuasa AGM that I keep fully charged.
                your headlight gets brighter, too bad you don't

your question is pointless and cannot be answered, but you know that already.
                the only thing that can be said about your dumb post is your post count goes up by one. (unless you delete it)
                you can rephrase and ask it over an over again, or just wait, somebody will be along to tell you everything is ok, (it ain't broke), then you can continue to post more 2nd and 3rd hand advice about stuff which you are clueless about....
                ....do something,
                Last edited by derwood; 08-16-2019, 01:34 PM.
                GSX1300R NT650 XV535

Comment

Originally posted by Who Dat? View Post
                  1. I live in NYC because the TV reception is so good and I like ethanol.

2. As the GS and I age, 100 doesn't happen every time.

3. My mechanic is a long train ride, then a 3 mile walk from the city.

No offense taken or intended - nothing wrong with good natured ribbing. I noticed your signature - you live near the edge by obeying speed limits?
                  1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

I noticed your signature - you live near the edge by obeying speed limits?
                    Always.

3.0 x 10^8 m/s. It's not just a good idea, ... IT'S THE LAW.
                    If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space.

Comment

I don't have a meter and I won't be doing any testing,
                      You lost me with this......
                      sigpic
                      83 GS1100g
                      2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

It ain't broke.

Comment

It may not be broke, but when you posted that, you didn't know, and said you weren't going to find out.

I am sort of surprised that you got <any> responses.

sigpic
                          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                          Family Portrait
                          Siblings and Spouses
                          Mom's first ride
                          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

derwood, you seem tense.

1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                            2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                            2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                            Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

lelz, feels like it's february around here....sheesh...
                              Originally posted by bwringer View Post
                              derwood, you seem tense.

1983 GS 1100 ESD

Comment

Working...
                              X