Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alternator wire seal

1979 GS1000E-

The alternator wire seal that is typically molded over the wires that seals the passage from the alternator/starter gear compartment into the secondary cavity on my bike is missing.

It looks like the PO just inserted some thick rubber "sleeve" if you will, but by the nature of this seal, it's not going to stop all the oil and keep it contained within the first cavity that the alternator is housed in.

I am assuming that I need it completely sealed. I checked, but can only source the complete alternator with the seal attached and not separately. My current original alternator is working fine, and would like to be able to just source this grommet/seal. Any sources? Or is there a "fix" that can be constructed?

I hope that I explained it correctly!

You're talking about the stator seal. Seen in this picture.

From memory that area is not covered in oil (no pressure) & is only splashed by oil flinging from the rotor (more so during a hard left) so you can likely make your own seal with something like RTV I would say.

1980 GS1000G - Sold
    1978 GS1000E - Finished!
    1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
    1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
    2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
    1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
    2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

I don't think it would hurt if you filled all of that small area with RTV if you cleaned it up really well to make sure it stuck... I think I'd rather have a "big lump" in there than just a small bit. Less likely to get dislodged & cause problems.

If you can get one of the rubber ones on an old stator you can carefully split them with a blade & put them around the new wires.

Last edited by salty_monk; 01-23-2020, 01:43 PM.
      1980 GS1000G - Sold
      1978 GS1000E - Finished!

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Thanks! That's the part! So I need to refer to it as the stator. Ok, I will fashion something. I can see that some oil did get past, and was pooled a little in the second cavity. Don't want a head scratcher oil drip once I get it running again.

Comment

I had success in re-using an old seal by mixing up some silicone and bicarbonate of soda, and wedging the seal in place around the wires and into the casing, leaving it overnight to cure and trimming as necessary before fitting. Never leaked a drop.
          ---- Dave
          79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
          80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
          79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
          92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Yep, I’ve done similar with RTV. What’s with the bicarbonate? I’m all ears for a new trick!
            1980 GS1000G - Sold
            1978 GS1000E - Finished!

Comment

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
              Yep, I’ve done similar with RTV. What’s with the bicarbonate? I’m all ears for a new trick!
              If you google Sugru, that's basically all it is. A quick-setting silicone rubber. The bicarb in the mix carries humidity with it and causes the curing reaction to happen much quicker, uniformly throughout instead of slowly from the surface in.

---- Dave
              79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
              80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
              79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
              92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

A rubber grommet from Ace Hardware and some silicone to fill the gap
                1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                2007 DRz 400S
                1999 ATK 490ES
                1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Working...
                X