Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Think these are the coils that came stock on the bike?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Think these are the coils that came stock on the bike?

Wondering if you guys would recognize if these are the originals from this 1980 GS1000G.
    Also, given the PO's fondness for using silicone gunk, if he applied that stuff, wonder what problem was he trying to solve.
    Thanks, Dan
    Attached Files

They certainly look right. Back in the day, those coils were the object of much suspicion for getting damp and misfiring in winter.
    People did all sorts of things, like cover the leads in silicone (right where he did) and bake the coils in the oven at low heat, then varnish them. Some of the tricks worked, most didn't. The best preventative was simply keeping them dry and in good condition, by fitting a fairing. It worked for me.
    Thanks to this forum, I now know how to replace the old HT leads, which I and certainly most others didn't know back then.
    Otoh, the best remedy for crap old damp-infested 'Zuk coils is take them off, throw them on the fire and replace them with Honda MT08 coils, with replaceable leads. Or, if your pocket is deep enough, splash out on some Accels.
    ---- Dave
    79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
    80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
    79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
    92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

I can't see much in that teensy photo, but if you're talking about a glob of sealer where the wire exits the coil, that's stock and not something added by some desperate PO.

I've never paid that much attention to where I could say for sure they all came this way, but it is something I've seen on original coils many times.

They do look original; no aftermarket manufacturer would use that particular nauseating shade of pinkish beige.
      1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Thanks guys. I'm going to go with the "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" approach.

Comment

I see some silicone on the ends.

I have used silicone to seal some minor cracks on the high-voltage transformer inside a television set. You might have some minor cracks at the ends or the silicone might simply be insulating the smaller wire that is also there.

If you want to ease your mind a bit, fire up the engine in a dark garage with the lights off. Look at the "repaired" areas to see if you see any arcing or sparking. If you don't see anything, turn the lights back on, put the bike back together, then go for a victory ride.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

They look suspiciously like the ones I changed out on my GS850GL

I changed them not because they didn't work --- but because they worked poorly when the weather was bad (wet)

Rain or fog or high humidity often caused them to not deliver adequate energy.

Once I changed them over to new ones, with new wires, and new plug caps, and new plugs it will nearly run underwater

I know because I ran through some torrential downpours last year for a few days when out for a good ride (2500 miles - 6 days)

My boot leaked ; but my coils did not !
            Currently in the Stable :
            2002 Honda Goldwing GL1800 Sunburst Pearl Orange
            1983 Suzuki GS850 GL Blue & Black

" I am never lost until I run out of fuel...until that moment I am EXPLORING."
            - Carl R. Munkwitz

Munk's Maxim: "There is no such thing as a cheap motorcycle"

Comment

Thanks, I've installed them we'll see.

Comment

Working...
              X