Where is the front brake light switch?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where is the front brake light switch?

It stopped working for some reason. I couldn't immediately figure out where it is.
    GS1000G 1981

It is under the right handle switch assembly where the brake handle is at - Part number 10 here

Shop online for OEM Right Handle Switch parts that fit your 1981 Suzuki GS1000G, search all our OEM Parts or call at 386-740-2452

It is nothing more than a thin circuit board assembly that moves across a separate contact inside the switch assembly. Be sure to have a plastic sandwich bag over it when you unscrew the two screws or you'll have things flying everywhere
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

should be on the underside of the front brake lever /master cylinder bracket. The parts fiche is not the best picture.
      Shop online for OEM Right Handle Switch parts that fit your 1981 Suzuki GS1000G, search all our OEM Parts or call at 386-740-2452

Don't know if you can see this, as it's a US site. I know I have a pic of the guts of the switch, I'll see what I can find.

Little pieces and a spring in there, use care taking it apart to clean the contacts.

The spring is supposed to stay inside the little black plastic piece and the copper piece rides on top of the spring but only loosely stays put. In, operation the copper piece is held to the circuit board by the force of the spring and slides along the circuit board contacts as you squeeze the lever. The engagement point is slightly adjustable by just loosening the two screws and moving the oval shapes housing left or right, then re-tighten the screws. Special care needs to be taken when re-inserting the little black plastic piece into the underside of the lever, getting it in the right slot, in the correct orientation. Your clutch lever switch should be exactly the same.
      Last edited by Rich82GS750TZ; 08-23-2020, 06:23 PM.
      Rich
      1982 GS 750TZ
      2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
      Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
        It is under the right handle switch assembly where the brake handle is at - Part number 10 here

It is nothing more than a thin circuit board assembly that moves across a separate contact inside the switch assembly. Be sure to have a plastic sandwich bag over it when you unscrew the two screws or you'll have things flying everywhere
        Is there anywhere else the problem could be? Like a wire I've unplugged?

I have opened the switch assembly before, I hate those springs. And now the left one is acting up (indicating was finniky when I was riding home today).
        GS1000G 1981

Comment

Check your ground wires first off and make sure they are securely attached. Does the rear brake still activate the light?

1981 GS550T - My First

Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die

Comment

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
            Check your ground wires first off and make sure they are securely attached. Does the rear brake still activate the light?
            Rear works as expected.
            GS1000G 1981

Comment

Look in the headlight bucket for those two wires and make sure they are still connected then look at the switch itself. You may need to slightly loosen the screws and slide the switch back and forth to see if it activates it. It's possible it moved out of position or the switch has gone bad.

1981 GS550T - My First

Comment

I located the switch. It seems the PO had the same issue and tried to insulate with some sticky mess (silicone?). I cleaned the conmectors, they were green. Sprayed yhem with oxide clean and then dielectric grease. Will upload pics after work.

I am having issues with my honker (I also think my honker has ran out of honk, the other one is rusty and disconnected). And indicators are stubborn so Ill get the joy of doing the left switchhouse tonight. Honk button is also wonky.
                GS1000G 1981

Comment

Buy a bottle of Honk and refill it at midnight.
                  ---- Dave
                  79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                  80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                  79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                  92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

The front brake switch below.
                    Make sure the two wires for it are connected in the headlamp bucket

The big guy up there rides a Suzuki (this I know)
                    1981 gs850gx

1999 RF900
                    past bikes. RF900
                    TL1000s
                    Hayabusa
                    gsx 750f x2
                    197cc Francis Barnett
                    various British nails

Comment

After today's visit to my switch I'm fairly sure that parts 8,9 & 10 are not meant to fly apart. Makes no sense from an assembly point of view.
                      The legs on 10 have little lugs that will snap onto holes in the plastic spring holder 8 if you open them up just a little.
                      I wonder if the constant to and fro deforms 10 and it flies out when opened after forty years.
                      97 R1100R
                      Previous
                      80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Thanks, but my issue has been resolved. Ill attach pictures of the switch and the insides for future reference in case someone search for this thread.

The switch:

Its the thing with the two screws labeled "B". The gew is something the PO used to keep water out, I assume.

Inside:

Mine did not contain any springs or anything, so they might have been lost before, or isnt needed. My brake lever is a bit spongy and not firm, so the light doesn't always turn of when standing still... I will investigate that more.

Edit: to fix it I cleaned off the corrosion with oxide cleaner and then applied generous amounts of dielectric grease.
                        GS1000G 1981

Comment

Originally posted by Brendan W View Post
                          After today's visit to my switch I'm fairly sure that parts 8,9 & 10 are not meant to fly apart. Makes no sense from an assembly point of view.
                          The legs on 10 have little lugs that will snap onto holes in the plastic spring holder 8 if you open them up just a little.
                          I wonder if the constant to and fro deforms 10 and it flies out when opened after forty years.
                          8,9,& 10 are separate if you get a new switch
                          The big guy up there rides a Suzuki (this I know)
                          1981 gs850gx

1999 RF900
                          past bikes. RF900
                          TL1000s
                          Hayabusa
                          gsx 750f x2
                          197cc Francis Barnett
                          various British nails

Comment

Glad you found it Noreg. That picture just reinforces the "what the heck was that PO thinking" thoughts.

1981 GS550T - My First

Comment

Originally posted by fastbysuzuki View Post
                              8,9,& 10 are separate if you get a new switch
                              The plot thickens..........
                              Look at this one
                              1975-1976 Suzuki RE5. This is a new genuine Suzuki front brake stop switch assembly. This switch mounts to the bottom side of the front brake caliper, and is an authentic Suzuki part. Includes all components needed to replace a missing or faulty front brake light switch.
                              97 R1100R
                              Previous
                              80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Working...
                              X