Headlight parts missing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Headlight parts missing?

Take a look at the picture. 79/80 GS850. Am I missing another ring? I know I'm missing all the hardware, but even with hardware I'm not sure I have all the major parts. Thanks.

That's all the main parts. But you do need the V-shaped springs to hold the lamp in place to the ring and the "side aim adjustment" setup-also attached to the ring.

Comment

Hmm I don't see the springs called out on the parts diagrams on partzilla.

Comment

I was wondering if they'd show on a parts diagram... but it's anyways most likely they are included as a "whole assembly" so you'll need to find them from a parts bike/scrap yard or make them.

Comment

headlight parts.jpg
          hmm maybe yours doesn't have these v springs...I might be thinking of another bike!
          here's a 650 lamp. so you ARE missing a ring- the one that adjusts for side aim...

Comment

headlight springs.jpg

Yes, it's the 450's lamp that has the springs - you can just see them at the lower rear of the sealed beam here

Comment

The original back half of the bucket in the GS850G was black plastic.

So don't go ordering parts; that appears to be a replacement from some other unknown bike.

My GS850G is wearing one of these chrome metal assemblies from Cycle Recycle II downtown (the "Universal Mounting" version with 8mm holes). I couldn't find a used replacement that wasn't rusty and damaged, and so $60 for all new stuff (I had the glass headlamp) was well worth it:
              Custom and OE Style Head Lights and mounts and Bulbs in CRC2's Online Catalog of New motorcycle Parts and Accessories Indy

This also looks like a good reasonably priced option for a complete assembly:
              Headlight Assembly - 7 inch This Item is not eligible for free shipping. Adding this item to CART makes the order ineligible for free shipping
              1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
              2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
              2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
              Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Good to know, Brian, but in another thead, he says he has an "L".
                It would have the 6" light with a chrome bucket.

Of course, he says it a 79/80 850L. Those of us 'in the know' will tell you that the 850L did not appear until the 1980 model year. It may have been assembled some time in late 1979, but it was a 1980 model.

The '80 850L was also a one-year wonder. It was the only 850L with a 17" rear tire like the Gs. It had a VERY small fuel tank. It had different side covers than any other year.

Leadfarmer, let me know if you want that missing ring, I think I have a couple of them in a bin.

sigpic
                mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I too was wondering about the "79/80".
                  Noticed the chrome fender and chrome headlight bucket......

Look like Mr Steve has set us in the right direction - again.

Welcome LeadFarmer,
                  Would be good for you to add your year and model in your signature line (Goto Control Panel, settings). THen that information shows up in each and every post of yours.

SW PA? What part younse at?
                  My parents are from Natrona and Johnstown (St Michael, South Fork dam backwater area).

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                  GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Working...
                  X