Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

no power and no lights = dead ignition switch?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

no power and no lights = dead ignition switch?

Recently acquired '80 GS550T. It was non-runner at time of purchase and I didn't do an electrical test. ~Dirt cheap so I wasn't overly concerned.

With a new and fully charged battery I'm getting no juice. No lights, signals, start button does nothing, etc. I can run an insulated screwdriver across the starter solenoid to trigger the starter motor, so that portion of the circuitry is alive. When doing so, I'm not getting any spark using the hold the plug against the engine test.

The wire harness is original, all connectors seem intact, I have two grounds going to the frame just in front of the airbox, and I don't see any bare or frayed wires.

Could a dead ignition switch cause this behavior? Is there a way to test the switch or should I just buy a replacement?
    Is there another frame or engine ground I should check?

Pic showing wiring in headlight bucket as evidence of ~unmolested wiring.
    PXL_20201201_174704631.jpg
    Current rides: GS650L, GS550T, GL500, GL1100, Bonnie, Triumph Adventurer, Guzzi California

Check the fuse box first, and trace from there up to the ignition switch. They tend to corrode around the back - might as well remove it and clean it thoroughly, even if it isn't your problem. The multi-pin connector under the tank also gets dirty.
    1980 GS550ET

Comment

Originally posted by steveb922 View Post
      Check the fuse box first, and trace from there up to the ignition switch. They tend to corrode around the back - might as well remove it and clean it thoroughly, even if it isn't your problem. The multi-pin connector under the tank also gets dirty.
      I should have mentioned that I already tried a new main fuse, but not the other ones yet.

I haven't yet cleaned the connectors under the tank., but they don't look horrible.
      Current rides: GS650L, GS550T, GL500, GL1100, Bonnie, Triumph Adventurer, Guzzi California

Comment

What does your VOM tell you?
        Where do you have 12V?
        Start at the main fuse
        1978 GS 1000 (since new)
        1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
        1978 GS 1000 (parts)
        1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
        1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
        1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
        2007 DRz 400S
        1999 ATK 490ES
        1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Re: checking voltages/continuity, should I have the ignition switch set to ON, OFF, or it doesn't matter? I'm OK mechanically, but not so good with electricals.

Comment

Originally posted by steveb922 View Post
            yup, it's the fuse box. I haven't pulled it off yet, but after several probes with the tester suddenly the lights came on and the starter worked. Psyched!

It's still fragile, the lights will go off if you look at it wrong, but i'll take the fuse box off tomorrow and give the contact surfaces a good scrubbing.

Thanks for the help. probably won't be the last question i ask.

Comment

You need to pull the fuse box off and check the back
              The solder on the connections might be melted away
              1978 GS 1000 (since new)
              1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
              1978 GS 1000 (parts)
              1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
              1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
              1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
              2007 DRz 400S
              1999 ATK 490ES
              1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Originally posted by Big T View Post
                What does your VOM tell you?
                Where do you have 12V?
                Start at the main fuse
                Yes, a VOM (Volt-Ohm Meter) should be in your tool box, but so should a test light. Available everywhere from Wal-Mart to Auto Zone, to Harbor Freight, to Home Depot.

There are times like you are experiencing now, where you don't need to know whether you have 13.2 volts or 11.8 volts, you only need to know that that you have power. An LED light will be rather rugged, but a standard incandescent light will give you a rough gauge of voltage, based on how bright it is.

sigpic
                mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Big T View Post
                  You need to pull the fuse box off and check the back
                  The solder on the connections might be melted away
                  All the connections looked decent. I blew away any dust with compressed air and re-assembled. So far, so good. It's still a long way from test runs and the maiden voyage.

Comment

Originally posted by sacruickshank View Post
                    . . . . . . . . .. So far, so good. . . . . . . . .
                    Try wiggling and pulling on each wire at the fuse block.
                    Try wiggling and thumping on the fuse block and each fuse.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                    GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Working...
                    X