Inconsistent skip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Maddevill View Post
    I'm always surprised at how many people cannot tell when their engine is not running right. Had a friend pull up for a tire change on his GSXR1100. I immediately told him it was running on 3 cylinders. Showed him how to find the cold pipe. Another time a guy brought in his Ducati 748 for an oil change. I knew something was very off. Found front belt had broken, bent valves. I repaired it and he came in and took it for a spin. He came back with wide eyes. Says " Holy cow ! It never had this much power !" He had been riding it for a YEAR as a single.

Mad
    Lmfao that's crazy with that Ducati, I know the sound broken from the factory but cmon! I always do the water test and they all seem to steam up, i cleaned the grounds for the coilpacks while i was getting the old leads out and there was plenty of corrosion so I'm hoping that with new leads and a clean ground will result with a consistent drone and not any loping noise.
    Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
    1982 XS650

Comment

Ian, I was going to ask if you’ve cleaned the power and ground leads to the coils. I just cleaned mine yesterday. Mine weren’t bad enough to cause a problem yet but I’m glad I’ve addressed it. I somehow managed to neglect these when I cleaned the rest of the harness last year when the bike was completely apart.

before:

after:
      Rich
      1982 GS 750TZ
      2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
      Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Those were actually one of the first things I cleaned when I was having a bad idle, a little while back, and yes, they were filled with so much corrosion it looked like an episode of Narcos. Unfortunately not the issue but fortunately getting parts soon.
        Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
        1982 XS650

Comment

Been doing alot of cleaning of connections since that's mainly what i can do for the bike right now
          Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
          1982 XS650

Comment

I’ve come up with a process I think works really well. I slather the connector with naval jelly. Let it sit for 15 minutes. Rinse with water. A water-pik works really well to flush out all the jelly. Dry with compressed air. Spray with electrical contact cleaner, helps evaporate any water left. Then spritz with Deoxit.
            Rich
            1982 GS 750TZ
            2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

Comment

Originally posted by Rich82GS750TZ View Post
              I’ve come up with a process I think works really well. I slather the connector with naval jelly. Let it sit for 15 minutes. Rinse with water. A water-pik works really well to flush out all the jelly. Dry with compressed air. Spray with electrical contact cleaner, helps evaporate any water left. Then spritz with Deoxit.

I'll be giving it a try if my methods (wiping down lol) dont work, and will be doing that if I have to do a engine swap letting me really clean off the bike, luckily most of the connections I've been cleaning recently arent bad at all, I been using pipe cleaners and either my fingers or paper towels to wipe anything off. This bike had to be taken good care of by somebody for how much stuff seems to be original and howmuch things are still in good shape.

I did a vin search and saw that somebody owned the bike 9 years from 2003 to 12, and then the bike got passed around like a pipe for a bit of time, and then ended up at a dealership looking immaculate, and then to some guy who filmed the bike and posted it on youtube, he was a weird owner, put a sticker on the tank that said suzuki motorcycles inside a harley davidson logo. Also seafoamed the bike twice a month.
              Last edited by timebombprod; 03-07-2021, 02:29 PM.
              Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
              1982 XS650

Comment

Helps that it’s a Florida bike. Bikes in the northeast don’t fare so well.
                Rich
                1982 GS 750TZ
                2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

Comment

Originally posted by Rich82GS750TZ View Post
                  Helps that it’s a Florida bike. Bikes in the northeast don’t fare so well.
                  I heard! I dont know what it has to do with but I just know I'm lucky to be here. Is it something to do with the cold?
                  Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
                  1982 XS650

Comment

Originally posted by timebombprod View Post
                    I heard! I dont know what it has to do with but I just know I'm lucky to be here. Is it something to do with the cold?
                    Just did a quick search and it's from the salt they put on the roads, the good news is I heard they have a new substance they're gonna use instead of salt. Gotta read into it.
                    Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
                    1982 XS650

Comment

Just did a quick search and it's from the salt they put on the roads, the good news is I heard they have a new substance they're gonna use instead of salt. Gotta read into it.
                      It’s brine and sprayed on the roads.
                      Does more damage to metal than road salt does.
                      Jim, in Central New York State.

1980 GS750E (bought used June,1983)
                      1968 CB350 Super Sport (bought new Oct,1968)
                      1962 CA77 305 Dream (bought used Feb,1963)

Comment

I've had weird valve clearance readings on one of the valves before, was .33 then the next few rotations it was back to .07, and this was before I made a video revving the crap out of it.
                        That will raise hell with the valve train, especially with no load on the engine!
                        Jim, in Central New York State.

1980 GS750E (bought used June,1983)
                        1968 CB350 Super Sport (bought new Oct,1968)
                        1962 CA77 305 Dream (bought used Feb,1963)

Comment

Originally posted by pdqford View Post
                          That will raise hell with the valve train, especially with no load on the engine!
                          Any clue what that means? Dont know if its sticking or what.

Edit: what the readings i have means
                          Last edited by timebombprod; 03-07-2021, 11:00 PM.
                          Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
                          1982 XS650

Comment

Would I be able to spot a sticking valve by turning the motor myself? Ifso the good news is none of the intake valves seem to stick, didnt check the exhaust valves because exhaust is on and I dont know if this test would be able to conclude anything. The motor spins nice and freely and this is ofcourse with no spark plugs creating compression in the cylinders.

Probably gonna be checking valve clearance even though I have a strong feeling there all gonna be well in clearance, but you never know. I dont have any sort of tick that sounds like a quarter being tapped do i dont think any funny business is going down in there, but I will be atleast oiling the shims ensuring they stay in place, I have before but not sure if I did the underside.

If the problem keeps occurring after I get all my parts and fix up the bike I'll Make a new post for the issue in the engine archive, and try my best to capture the sound even though it mainly very subtle, and random, so it may happen every 15 seconds or every 30. What I can say is the problem seems to appear once the engine is fully warmed up.

Edit: checked clearances and all is well, one is a little tight sitting at .05 and I don't have the shim so just gonna order one soon enough. I wish they sold them at a hardware store lol.
                            Last edited by timebombprod; 03-08-2021, 05:15 AM.
                            Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
                            1982 XS650

Comment

Working...
                            X