Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NGK B8ES spark plug replacements: Autolite or Champion?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rphillips View Post
    all good today with the D8EA's
    My owners manual says NGK D8EA or NIPPON DENSO X24ES-U

Gap is 0.6 to 0.7 mm (0.026 in)
    Last edited by bonanzadave; 07-30-2022, 12:04 PM.
    82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Just from experience working on cars and bikes, autolite has a tendency to fail within a year with most of their stuff. I'd stay away and stick to ngk's

Comment

The plugs from the UK are genuine and come well packaged. They arrive rather quickly after ordering.
        1981 GS 1000GLX.
        1981 GS 1000G.
        1981 GS 650GLX.
        1975 TS 185.
        1972 100. Kawasaki.
        1968 100. Suzuki.
        1970 Z 50. Honda.
        1984 CT 70. Honda. (Kids)
        1982 DS 50. Suzuki. (Kids)

Comment

Originally posted by pdqford View Post
          It seems to me that if the spark jumps the gap, what difference does the extra voltage make?

Now if the extra voltage available lets you open up the spark plug gap, maybe that wider spark would ignite more fuel particles, resulting in more consistent ignition of the fuel charge? ?

Or perhaps with the original spark plug gap, the increased voltage would take longer to discharge the coil, therefore holding the arc longer , resulting in more consistent ignition? ?

Thoughts?
          A spark of a plug pulled out and observed is jumping an air gap of 0.7 mm in still air at 1 atmosphere (1 bar or 14 psi) At maximum torque rpm, the coils are trying to jump a spark in a hurricane of a dense wet fuel/air mixture compressed to somewhere in the region of 200 psi. It's here where the extra voltage makes a difference. You can light a fire with a match on a windy day, but you'll find using a blow torch is much more effective.
          sigpicDarryl from Kiwiland

1982 GSX1100S Katana
          1982 GSX750S Katana
          1982 GS650G Katana

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
            Someone here posted a similar ebay link to a seller with NOS ND W24ES plugs a while back. Myself, and I think, some others bought these and they are the real deal made in Japan ND's. They don't have a U groove, but that doesn't seem to bother NGK, since they don't have a groove either. Anyway, I'd get some of these before going Autolite or Champion.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/36078051709...0AAMXQL99Scryl
            I ordered 2 boxes of these and one box had something spilled on it years ago that corroded all the plugs and deteriorated the box and plastic wrap. The other box and plugs are in perfect condition. I messaged the selling asking for a replacement box of 10. Hopefully he obliges.
            - 1983 GS850L ~ 30,000 miles and going up - Finally ready for a proper road trip!
            - 1977 GS750B - Sold but not forgotten

Comment

The seller of those plugs messaged me back later in the day and apologized for the mix-up and has mailed me another box of plugs. Good customer service!
              - 1983 GS850L ~ 30,000 miles and going up - Finally ready for a proper road trip!
              - 1977 GS750B - Sold but not forgotten

Comment

Working...
              X