Long term engine unit storage query

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Long term engine unit storage query

Hi all - I'm after some advice, please..

I have a complete 2-cyl 4-stroke fully working engine unit which I want to put into long-term storage.
    It is currently filled with the correct amount of 10W-40 oil for normal usage.
    Spark plugs are fitted, and I have blanked off the carb inlets and exhaust outlets.

Anything else I should be doing, or ideas/recommendations as to the best way to do this?

I would hopefully not need to keep getting the engine out of storage to crank it over, but if you think that's a must-do then please let me know!

Put some oil down the bores.
    ---- Dave
    79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
    80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
    79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
    92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

A few CC of engine oil in the bores is what's in the manual, but fogging oil (follow the instructions on the can) will coat the inner surfaces more thoroughly.

With a typical garage environment where it's not climate controlled, it's also a good idea to coat the outside of the engine with a protectant and cover the whole thing in plastic. (If you can't make it airtight, then make sure there's ventilation.) And a layer of protection from physical damage is often a good idea; if it falls over or might get a tool dropped on it, will it break off a fin?
      1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

There's a thought - after protecting the inside and outside as far as reasonably possible, pack in a couple of silica gel bags (the big ones you get with steel transport) and get a large plastic bag around the whole thing and vacuum it out as far as possible. You can buy vacuum storage bags of all sizes, up to car sized, but a handy and cheap way is a clingfilm wrap and a Hoover.
        ---- Dave
        79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
        80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
        79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
        92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

I've got this query running on another forum, and the advice coming from there is pretty much the same, with one addition - turn the engine over every few months.
          Its got the kickstart and the electric starter still attached, so no problem there - just a PITA to have to keep wheeling it out and unpacking/repacking it if there's no real need.

Comment

Consider that the leakdown of any added oil will occur fairly rapidly. Also manually turning the bike over would not I think produce sufficient pressure to the system.
            aside from flash rust on crank and cams whats gonna happen? Even that rusting takes a long time.

Fogging oil would be the best bet but seriously Ive run engines that sat forlorn for years and nothing horrible happened.
            1983 GS 550 LD
            2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

Originally posted by Cipher View Post
              Consider that the leakdown of any added oil will occur fairly rapidly. Also manually turning the bike over would not I think produce sufficient pressure to the system.
              aside from flash rust on crank and cams whats gonna happen? Even that rusting takes a long time.

Fogging oil would be the best bet but seriously Ive run engines that sat forlorn for years and nothing horrible happened.
              My bike had been in storage since the late 90s and I've been going through doing valves etc. I haven't noticed any rust on any cams or anything under the valve cover. I feel like flash rust is not a huge concern for the top end at least.

Comment

Working...
              X