No announcement yet.

Shifter interference

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If the stand sat an inch lower or stayed inboard a bit more it would probably be fine. I had it off and closed up the clevis but it's the same.

Mad
    83 GS750E
    2006 ZX14
    2004 KTM 450 EXC
    2001 Yamaha Big Bear

Comment

Just my .02 cents. My 1150 has the same wire tab and its not an issue. i also like my shifter lower then most and it would hit the sidestand upon downshifting. I added a small spacer between the sidestand and its stop to keep it a tad bit lower and clear the shifter. The spacer is a bent nickel held in place by a dot of silicone.
      sigpic
      When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
      -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
      -Rusty old scooter.
      Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
      https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
      https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Interesting. I may have to try something like that.

Mad
        83 GS750E
        2006 ZX14
        2004 KTM 450 EXC
        2001 Yamaha Big Bear

Comment

Just grind off the wire???
          1983 GS 550 LD
          2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

The wire isn't in the way. The side stand itself sits so close to the shifter that it's hard to get my toe under the shift pedal.

Mad
            83 GS750E
            2006 ZX14
            2004 KTM 450 EXC
            2001 Yamaha Big Bear

Comment

I just wonder if a PO had replaced the side stand with one from something close but not quite close enough.
              ---- Dave
              79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
              80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
              79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
              92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Or maybe the shift lever replaced with one that is close but not quite right, or possibly pushed in a little. Put a boxed end wrench, or pipe wrench, on it and bend it out just a little. If it don't work right, bend it back in. I'd think It would be a lot more common for the shifter to be pushed in a little, than the stand be pulled out any... Just a thought
                1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Any chance the ears on the stand have bent? I had a slight bend in mine once. Also had major wear on the shouldered bolt that the stand attaches by and pivots on.
                  1983 GS 550 LD
                  2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

Yeah I checked the clevis on the bolt and replaced the bolt itself. I'm probably going to take it back off and close up the clevis a bit more and come up with some kind of stop.
                    The shift lever itself looks stock and undamaged.

Mad
                    83 GS750E
                    2006 ZX14
                    2004 KTM 450 EXC
                    2001 Yamaha Big Bear

Comment

Could someone take a couple pictures of their side stand in the Up position ?

Mad
                      83 GS750E
                      2006 ZX14
                      2004 KTM 450 EXC
                      2001 Yamaha Big Bear

Comment

Originally posted by Maddevill View Post
                        Yeah I checked the clevis on the bolt and replaced the bolt itself. I'm probably going to take it back off and close up the clevis a bit more and come up with some kind of stop.
                        The shift lever itself looks stock and undamaged.

Mad
                        I've had my bike 39 years so its hard to recall things but mine had opened to a point where the worn bolt and a weak stretched spring made the stand almost dangerous
                        bought a new bolt and years later got a newish spring in a ebay misc package
                        iirc the hole in the stand and the tab it bolts through on the frame were worn out of round.
                        Check spring a good one will have no space in the windings.
                        1983 GS 550 LD
                        2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

A few of my best guesses. FWIW, YMMV, IDK, TLDR, etc...:

Here's the "STAND" fiche for the '83 GS750E:
                          https://www.onlinecycleparts.com/oem...d8b4e3c1/stand

Note that the kickstand depicted has the little wire dingus, so for the moment we'll go with the theory that it's the correct kickstand.

- If the centerstand has been removed (kiiiiinda looks like it's not there in that postage stamp photo?), then perhaps what's supposed to limit the kickstand travel is that it rests against the centerstand somehow.

- It also may be that the rubber cushion that limits the centerstand travel is missing, or perhaps there's supposed to be another cushion somewhere for the kickstand that's missing. I see the cushion for the centerstand (#7 in the diagram, 09321-10001) but I don't see one for the kickstand on the stand, footrest, or frame fiches.

Another possibility is that the kickstand and/or mounting tab on the frame are bent, or the pivot bolt or holes in the stand and frame are worn, allowing the the kickstand to angle too far to the side. If the kickstand were tucked in toward the center of the bike more, would that solve the issue? It is somewhat common for the mounting tabs on frames to get bent, especially on setups like this bike where the tab is hanging way out there by itself on a square frame rail; on most other GS models, the kickstand mount is further back, in a much stronger central area of the frame. Inspect the frame and tab carefully for evidence of twisting, bending, or wrinkling.
                          1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                          2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                          2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                          Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

on most other GS models, the kickstand mount is further back
                            much better. I've got a couple of non-suzukis with kickstands 'forward".One,the NijaEX500 is shifter is nearly unuseable with big boots.
                            I have two ideas:
                            1) You say it's not a bother on yours, but I cut stupid extremities away-that helped.
                            2) glue or wire or otherwise clamp a rubber pad near the stand's axle to restict it coming up so far.Non-permanent if you don't like it...might Look odd, but if (heeled over) its extremity is no lower than the centrestand or foot rest it won't matter.

Comment

Thanks for the ideas. Really helpful. The bike does have the center stand , I plan on taking the side stand off and closing up the clevis and inspect the bolt. I do know it's got some slop in it.

Mad
                              83 GS750E
                              2006 ZX14
                              2004 KTM 450 EXC
                              2001 Yamaha Big Bear

Comment

Working...
                              X