Upper shock bolt broke!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Upper shock bolt broke!!

I was tightening my upper shock mount bolt to factory specs and broke it off! What do I do please help

My first guess, grind off flush, drill hole straight through frame at exact location, install proper size bolt from back side. Look everything over first to see why it may not work.
    1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

If at all possible, weld a sleeve in the hole you drill, then replace with a through bolt so you don't torque the frame and weaken it.

Comment

If the threads broke off and the post is still there, you can clean up the end of the post and tap it. An M5 stud, thread-locked into the post on the frame, and a nylon locknut works well. Use a stud, because it gives you a replaceable thread. Mine didn't break, but I did strip the threads off. I didn't have enough washers to keep the acorn nut from running out of internal threads, and that's how the damage started. Once it started, it was a matter of time.

Don't tap drill any deeper than you need to. The highest stress in the post is where it meets the frame, but the hole will be on the "neutral axis of the beam" if you keep the hole straight and centered. It might be strong enough even if you drill through, but why try to find out?

If the post has to be replaced, I've heard stories of drilling it out and replacing it with a shoulder screw. I seem to remember something about cutting the head of and welding the screw into the frame for the strongest fix. Hopefully if it comes to that, somebody who's done it will chime in with better instructions.
        Dogma
        --
        O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
        '80 GS850 GLT
        '80 GS1000 GT
        '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

I would not use a stud in that situation. The shear force is reduced because of the cut threads. You want a bolt with a long shank, and just enough thread to tighten it together. You would be better off drilling all the way through and using a bolt with a long shank. You only need to tighten it enough to keep it in place. Some Blue Loctite will assure that.

The best way would be drilling it, sliding a bushing through, welding the ends and then sliding the bolt through, which will still be a long shoulder bolt.

Comment

Number 35 here. cut broke stud off flush with frame. drill down the center the right size, insert new stud and cut to length. Cap weld it on the inside of the frame. Been using them for years. Same thread as the acorn nut

https://www.kawasaki.com/en-us/owner-center/parts/143389/1979/KZ750-B4?cm_re=PARTSLISTING:1979KZ750-B4-_-FINDDIAGRAM-_-PARTBUCKET

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2499334.m570.l1313&_nkw= 92004-048&_sacat=6000
            MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
            1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

That would work fine.

Comment

Easy fix the shoulder for the eyelet already there.
                MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Thanks a bunch for the advice

Comment

I snapped one off of my 650G and had a shoulder bolt (or screw which ever is the correct term) with the head cut off it welded on. It had the same threads as the original. Worked like a charm.
                    GS550T 1981
                    GS850G 1983
                    GS650G 1982
                    GS650G 1982 Under Restoration 😳🏍👍

Comment

I've installed the shoulder bolt fix. Works fine!

I have no memory of what the length measurements were, but it'll be somewhere in this page, if the link works:
                      McMaster-Carr is the complete source for your plant with over 595,000 products. 98% of products ordered ship from stock and deliver same or next day.

These are very hard, strong grade 12.9 steel.

The stud diameter is 12mm, and the thread is 10mm. Make sure you scare up a new nut with the correct thread pitch; stock is 1.25x10mm, but the shoulder bolts are only available in 1.5x10mm pitch.

You drill out in increments using lots of lube, and stop at the point where it's a press fit (15/32" is 11.9mm, and I think that's what we used). Drive the shoulder bolt in and it'll be quite secure. You could also figure out an arrangement with spacers, washers and nuts to draw it in.

There's little or no sideward force, so tapping the remnant of the stud in the frame can work perfectly fine as well. You basically just need to retain the upper end of the shock; there aren't any forces yanking these off.

If you can weld the other end, great. But with a good tight press fit it'll work fine with or without welding.

I would NOT weld the outer area; that would tend to weaken the bolt right at the point where it needs the most strength.
                      1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

You don't really need to weld the bolt head on, or cut it off. If it fits, it a shear force your dealing with. Tightened up, with no slop, and it will be fine.

Comment

Originally posted by Suzukian View Post
                          I would not use a stud in that situation. The shear force is reduced because of the cut threads. You want a bolt with a long shank, and just enough thread to tighten it together. You would be better off drilling all the way through and using a bolt with a long shank. You only need to tighten it enough to keep it in place. Some Blue Loctite will assure that.

The best way would be drilling it, sliding a bushing through, welding the ends and then sliding the bolt through, which will still be a long shoulder bolt.

The purpose of the stud is to provide a replaceable threaded element. It's especially necessary on this kind of fix because of the smaller threads. The stud only replaces the broken off threads, not the post that carries the suspension loads.

Originally posted by Suzukian View Post
                          You don't really need to weld the bolt head on, or cut it off. If it fits, it a shear force your dealing with. Tightened up, with no slop, and it will be fine.
                          It might be fine, but the weld is better if you can arrange it. Much closer to original condition. A tightened bolt can't transfer loads to the frame as well as a welded post.

Beside all that, Chuck Hahn has worked on more of these than almost anyone else, so just take his advice when in doubt. If he's not sure, you can trust him to say so. You can also trust him to know when he doesn't know.
                          Last edited by Dogma; 08-30-2023, 09:30 PM.
                          Dogma
                          --
                          O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
                          '80 GS850 GLT
                          '80 GS1000 GT
                          '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

I read this thread wrong. I thought he ruined the part on the bike. If the broken bolt is still in there, punch a hole in the center, and work you way up with drills till you see the threads. Hold the thread up to the light, your drill should be no bigger that the diameter of the bottom of the threads. If you do it right on center, with a very small punch, you will be able to knock the thread in and pull it out with a set of strong needle nose pliers. In a worse case scenario, Heli-Coil (double up on the Heli-Coil) it and be done with it. I thought for some reason that the frame part was buggered. Thanks for your post Dogma​. It cleared some things up for me.

I have a small machine shock, Mig/Tig welders, etc., and doing this stuff when it;'s in front of me is obvious. I don't know why I read this all wrong. It's just a bolt broken into a threaded hole. I had to drill out all 8 studs on my '84 GS750ES to get the studs out, which all broke. Heli-coiled all eight, and replaced the studs with # 8 bolts. Very easy to take off and put on now. I centered so well on the studs, I was able to pull out every thread. I Heli-Coiled it as aluminum and steel don't really like each other, especially up front subjected to rain and other catalysts (electrolysis) which causes corrosion.

Comment

Working...
                            X