Oil Cooler for 82 GS1100G

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rijko View Post
    The cam chain tensioner leaking is common, and that oil splatters everywhere.
    Since it's right in there with the carbs it's a prime suspect.
    Maybe even a leaking tacho drive, cam cover or head gasket.
    It will drip down, and may give the impression oil is leaking from the carbs ?

I'd take a close look for other sources for oil leaking.
    The only oil coming from the bike is at that overflow tube, otherwise its leak free. I will look into it all tomorrow.
    My Girls:

1978 Honda Goldwing GL1000 " Valerie" - Project
    1982 Suzuki GS1100G "Beauty" My Daily Rider
    1983 Kawasaki KZ1100 LTD "Amber" - Project
    1978-1982 Yamaha XS1100 Special "Sweetness" - I'm still looking for her.

Comment

Originally posted by GalDemSuga View Post

No fuel in crankcase. What comes out happens while the bike is cooling down and its a quarter size pool on the floor. I will do an oil change tomorrow but today I will drain some oil out of the engine and then observe the level after another ride.

does that mean oil level is too high right now ?
      Rijk

Top 10 Newbie Mistakes thread

CV Carb rebuild tutorial
      VM Carb rebuild tutorial
      Bikecliff's website
      The Stator Papers

"The thing about freedom - it's never free"

Comment

Originally posted by Rijko View Post

does that mean oil level is too high right now ?
        I just went out and drained some of the oil. I had it at the top of the sight glass when I did the last oil change, its now right at the F mark. I didn't have a smell of fuel and the oil was clean. There has only been 300 miles ridden since I did the last oil change. I have ridden the bike scarcely since the resto was done but never had this issue and I'll note that it wasn't this hot in Texas. Today is a cooler day so I will try and get a ride in and see if it happens again because on the two days that the ambient temp was 108F-111F, I saw the leak. I rode last Sunday and it was 95F and I didn't have a leak.
        Last edited by GalDemSuga; 09-10-2023, 01:22 PM.
        My Girls:

Comment

This is one of those interesting ones. We see them from time to time. The most interesting part will not be why the oil is coming out through the vent tube, vents are for venting. More puzzling, for me, will be where and how the oil is getting into the carbs.
          1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post

There is no way for oil to come out of the carb overflow tube. Actually, those carbs don't have overflow tubes, they have vent hoses. If fuel is coming out of them, you have a massively overflowing carb, or carbs. The float valve isn't closing. If this is the case, then you may have gas in the crankcase oil, leading to a high crankcase level, leading to a huge mess/problem.
            Guys

I found the issue and you re gonna roast me and I deserve it!!! The hose I used to pipe those overflow tubes, I remembered just now that I had used to put liquid molly in my cars transmission. That is residue that is now coming out after the hose has gotten super hot. OMFG!! DUFUS ME.
            My Girls:

Comment

You found it, that's all that matters. Please, don't ride with only shorts on. It's actually hotter, and from experience, the amount of skin you can scrape of is unbelievable, and I got hit, it was a side swipe from the rear. No more shorts!! Please!

Comment

Guys

I found the issue and you re gonna roast me and I deserve it!!! The hose I used to pipe those overflow tubes, I remembered just now that I had used to put liquid molly in my cars transmission. That is residue that is now coming out after the hose has gotten super hot. OMFG!! DUFUS ME.
                ​i did not see that one coming
                Rijk

Top 10 Newbie Mistakes thread

CV Carb rebuild tutorial
                VM Carb rebuild tutorial
                Bikecliff's website
                The Stator Papers

"The thing about freedom - it's never free"

Comment

Originally posted by Suzukian View Post
                  You found it, that's all that matters. Please, don't ride with only shorts on. It's actually hotter, and from experience, the amount of skin you can scrape of is unbelievable, and I got hit, it was a side swipe from the rear. No more shorts!! Please!
                  That was a on time deal. I have been wearing long pants ever since. Good advice and I appreciate it.
                  My Girls:

Comment

Welp, guess we'll add a new one to the list... "was there ever anything else in the hose you used?"

Thanks for reporting back! There's a lot of good info in this thread for future GS-ers, anyway.
                    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Guys

Hah. Couple of year ago I came out of the shops to find a small pool of oil under the engine.
                      After a minute's searching I realised the previous day's oiling of the air filter was too exuberant. Engine heat did the rest.
                      ---- Dave
                      79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                      80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                      79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                      92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Originally posted by Grimly View Post

Hah. Couple of year ago I came out of the shops to find a small pool of oil under the engine.
                        After a minute's searching I realized the previous day's oiling of the air filter was too exuberant. Engine heat did the rest.
                        I did the bike restoration and then I built my car right after that. I was having carb issues and once that was solved I decided to use all new hoses on the carbs. The hose was laying around I so used it to plum the bike. The bike has been sitting for some time as I rarely rode it. I believe I've ridden it all of 10 times in 3 years.
                        My Girls:

Comment

Working...
                        X