Cold Compression 1982 Suzuki GS300L

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cold Compression 1982 Suzuki GS300L

Does anybody have any idea what a good cold compression reading would be for a 1982 Suzuki GS300L?

Bike won’t start for a hot compression reading.

Is there a substantial difference between hot and cold compression readings for these bikes?

welcome.
    So what compression reading do you have, and how are you measuring ?
    Is this a new to you bike ?

Tell us more on the bike, we love pictures, too.
    Do you have a workshop manual ?
    Last edited by Rijko; 11-12-2023, 06:54 PM.
    Rijk

Top 10 Newbie Mistakes thread

CV Carb rebuild tutorial
    VM Carb rebuild tutorial
    Bikecliff's website
    The Stator Papers

"The thing about freedom - it's never free"

Comment

Hello!

I recently bought my 1982 Suzuki GS 300 L with a known starter clutch issue. That was fixed easily.

The bike was running a month before I bought it with no issues, which was back this year in the spring time.

The bike has only 1400 original miles on it when I bought it. So it sat for the majority of its life. But, it was stored well.

The previous owner before me put on 800 miles on it before he sold it to me, he also cleaned and rebuilt the carb.

After I fixed the starter clutch issue, I thought for sure it would fire right up, but it didn’t, not even a cough. The bike has not turned over for about 6 months now

I checked all electrical, spark plug,fuel , carb , petcock, and air box issues and everything was fine.I even sprayed starting fluid in the carb to get it to start, and once again, not even a cough.

I can also feel the compression on the spark plug holes and the air escaping the tailpipe.

The last check was compression, cold compression. One cylinder was 70 PSI and the other was 50 PSI. I then added some marvel mystery oil in the spark plug holes and let it sit overnight. When I came back in the morning, all the oil was gone, I figured it drained. I then tested the compression again. 85 PSI for one and still 50 PSI for the other. One cylinder compression changed 15 PSI.

Could this be a compression ring issue? Or maybe a valve clearance issue?

Also, could it potentially fire on this low of compression from a cold start?

Thank you, Kent
      Last edited by Kentman7; 11-12-2023, 07:38 PM.

Comment

You can get a digital manual here : https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac..._manual-82.pdf

Compression should be way higher.
        You are measuring with throttle wide open ?

For a bike that stood a long time, compression is usually low due to rings sticking.
        Usually that improves during the first couple hundred miles.
        But since the previous owner drove it for 800 miles recently, that does not seem the issue.
        Rijk

CV Carb rebuild tutorial
        VM Carb rebuild tutorial
        Bikecliff's website
        The Stator Papers

Comment

Nothing that drastic should have happened from spring till now, rings shouldn't stick nor valves should get tight. I'd suggest check the the valve clearances.
          1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Could valve clearance issues cause that low of compression?

also, throttle was wide open during compression test.

the digital manual says the engine needs to be warm before a compression test, and that the compression should be 150 PSI.

do you know where to purchase shims that would fit this 1982 Suzuki GS300L ?
            Last edited by Kentman7; 11-12-2023, 08:39 PM.

Comment

Test should be more accurate with warm eng., not 100# different. Check valve clearances to see if they are too tight. That shouldn't be it, but easy to check and a that low, completely possible. If I remember right those bikes don't use shims, they have adjusters on rocker arms.
              1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Why are you asking if valve clearance could cause low compression? Go to the garage and check the valves, NOW. That is not a question that should ever be asked.
                Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Mr. Nessism, with all due respect, when I asked if a valve clearance could cause compression issues, I meant compression issues to spike down as low as 50 PSI.

I wouldn’t think that valve clearance would even be an issue at 1400 miles.

But, I am a very amateur mechanic at best, and I appreciate all your help and advice. Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by Kentman7 View Post
                    I wouldn’t think that valve clearance would even be an issue at 1400 miles.
                    I agree, but, i would not expect rings to be the issue either.

So there we are, and i think the only way to determine what the issue is, is to check things.
                    Valve lash check on a new-to-you machine should be one of the first things to do anyway, and is easier than dismantling the engine to check bores and rings.

Rijk

CV Carb rebuild tutorial
                    VM Carb rebuild tutorial
                    Bikecliff's website
                    The Stator Papers

Comment

Most likely, the rings are gummed up due to inactivity. The valves and/or the seats could have crud on them also. This is a common problem with bikes that have sat around for a LONG time without running.

It goes without saying that the valves should be checked. This is very easy...except, the valve cover gasket is likely to be petrified, and scrapping it off is a royal pain in the butt. Always buy OEM Suzuki gaskets, if at all possible.

And since you are at this point, I'd give each cylinder a heavy shot of Marvel Mystery Oil. This will help loosen up the rings, if they happen to be stuck. After you get the bike running, ride it good and HARD. This will help burn off crud in the cylinder, and give the rings some load, and help them reseat.
                      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Running with no problems this spring, now compression that low???? Valves too tight "or" too loose would explain low compression. And what he said about the Marvel Mystery Oil, do it now and you'll have a head start on addressing that if the rings are the problem.

Comment

You have enough compression to start, so there's little point to chasing that rabbit much further down its hole right now.

As stated above, it's quite common for rings to get sticky when an engine sits for a long time, and it's also quite common for this to clear up pretty quickly once you get it running. If you're worried, get a bore scope cheap on Amazon and take a peek to make sure there are no giant rust pits in the cylinders.

The other thing that is VERY common is for a compression check to give artificially low results because it's performed with the carbs in the way. Even with the butterflies open, you can't get a good compression check with CV carb slides blocking much of the airflow. A blockage in the exhaust is rare, but possible, and will also give false compression readings.

Heck, I've seen an engine that was accidentally assembled without piston rings start and run... just not very well.

In short, don't condemn an engine or invest in head gaskets and such until everything else has been handled.

Now, back to what Ed said; although it's a low-mileage engine, I also have a suspicion that you could find enlightenment by removing the valve cover and ignition cover and checking valve clearances, operation, and timing. A sticky valve, for example, could cause all sorts of weird stuff and failure to start, even with ether.

Skipped timing also comes to mind; you have spark, you have compression of some sort, but... are they happening on the exact proper schedule?

To give just one example that has happened more than once... maybe some curious soul removed or unscrewed something on the cam chain tensioner, there was a faint "kapwing", and they slowly backed away without breathing another word...

So I'd definitely check for stuff like that, and basically take a good hard look at the proper operation and timing of the valvetrain and its relation to the ignition timing. Assume nothing.

There are, of course, things to look for I haven't mentioned, but I think a peek under the valve cover is pretty clearly the next move.

You had also mentioned a starter clutch failure... IIRC, one of the things known to happen with these on occasion, at least on the larger engines, is a substantial kickback that causes the cam chain to skip time.
                          Last edited by bwringer; 11-13-2023, 12:04 PM.
                          1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                          2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                          2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                          Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Thank you all for the kind advice!

I have the valve cover off, and my first initial observation was the timing chain. It was way too tight. I couldn’t even move it up or down. I know you want a little play in it.

Now that I think of it, The bike had the cam tensioner replaced from the original to a manual one. When it was installed it looks like it was put on too tight. I wonder if that could affect the valve clearance?

Anyways, next step is valve clearance check. I’m also going to check the timing.

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
                              I've seen an engine that was accidentally assembled without piston rings start and run... just not very well.
                              Holy compression, Batman! Reminds me of the time I had some sort of work done on my '68 Camaro, and the brake pedal was way too close to the floor.

They sent me home with one of the brake drums missing!
                              1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Working...
                              X