Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1100G(GK) ignition switch stuck in Park position

82 GS1100GK

I Put the ignition swtich in Park position (turn to ON , push in, turn further to right), and tail light only comes on ..... and now switch is stuck there.
    Push key in.. wiggle key.... wiggle handbars ... mutter.. mumble... cant get key to turn back....

(pulled main fuse so battery not run flat)

All my years here on GSR, I dont think I have heard of this before. (maybe have heard of handle bars stuck in Lock position)

ANybody have any words of wisdom ?
    Last edited by Redman; 05-20-2024, 09:41 PM.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
    GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Note 1: legond on the ignition swtich is faded, but I think is the Park position. One click to the right of ON after pushing key in.
    Yes, I have verified that Park is to the right, past On, (where is presently stuck).
    And Lock is left of Off.
    Last edited by Redman; 05-20-2024, 09:56 PM.

GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Note 2: Key is stuck in the Park position (right of ON) and . . . . . . handle bars are locked in place . . . . Oh, crap, maybe this is pretty much the same problem as Handle Bars Stuck In Lock position.

Comment

Shoot some silicone spray down key…..add heat with hairdryer to free up gunk. Tap lightly on switch body as you attempt to release lock’s grip.
        1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Was going to suggest same as Tom203. Had similar issue before. Working some WD40 in and around with the key got it to free up. Probably had to jostle the bars a bit too so the lock bolt wasn't tight against the stop on the steering head (i can see it in my brain but don't know if I'm describing it properly). Once I got it unstuck, I took the whole lock cylinder apart an thoroughly cleaned. Be careful, there's a ball bearing in there, and it is possible to put it back together exactly 180 degrees wrong. Best to work with all parts in a tray so nothing goes wondering. Take pics as you go so you know how to put the puzzle back together.

Rich
          1982 GS 750TZ
          2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
          Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

I spray PB Blaster into keyholes occasionally. You might have to get up under where the actual steering lock is.
            2002 bmw r1150gs 1978 gs1000E skunk les pew 1979 gs1000L dragbike
            82 gs1100L probably the next project
            1980 gs1000G the ugly 1978 gs750E need any parts?
            https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=m_m2oYJkx1A
            1978 gs1000E skunk #2 RLAP

Comment

You could remove the key assembly from the frame and work on getting the cylinder to turn on your workbench. My best guess is you'll want to do that anyhow as preventative maintenance.
              1980 Yamaha XS1100G (Current bike)
              1982 GS450txz (former bike)
              LONG list of previous bikes not listed here.

These aren't my words, I just arrange them

Comment

Yep, that happened to me once, and I was lucky enough to get it to come back out of the park/lock position. Never used it since, but lubed it once in a blue moon so it wouldn't stick again if I got forgetful.
                ---- Dave
                79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Anybody ever heard use graphite instead of oil in locks... Rumor yus'ta be oil will collect dust, grit, & eventually gum up, but graphite being dry won't.
                  1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

thanks for reply and sharing info.

so, the stuck in park situation is the same as stuck in lock position.
                    andthe comments are to lubricate the key switch (thru key slot I gather)…..
                    I was thinking problem is not so much the key switch itself but what ever steering lock mechanism getting jammed up. But you knolodgeable experienced folks are saying to lubricate the key switch.

I have squirted in wd40 3-4 times over last day and half…. No results yet…..
                    I am not available Ned day and half , will see after that…..

in times I have had fork tubes off, and time I replaced steering head bearings, I don’t recall seeing what mechanism actually moves into
                    whatever position to lock steering in position.

[QUOTE…..under where the actual steering lock is.[/QUOTE]

I need to review microfiche and such to see what it can find.

Comment

Dave, I'll try to get some detailed pics of what you're lookin at and also the method of removing the two allen-head screws that hole the ignition barrel in place. I seem to recall it involved some extensions.
                      Rich
                      1982 GS 750TZ
                      2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

Comment

I did this to myself last summer (long story) and had to take the ignition switch assembly off another bike.

The little finger that comes out of the lock assembly engages a tab on the frame to prevent rotation of the steering. On mine, the little finger that comes out of the lock assembly still has some free wiggle. So, whatever is stuck is completely internal to the lock mechanism.

I did some googling in and out of the forum and didn't have much luck. I only learned that it's common. Disassembly of the lock mechanism is doubtful. You'd need better tools than I have on hand. The whole thing is held together by 3 little spring pins, maybe 1.5 dia each. They go into blind holes, so you can't drive them out from the other side.

I keep forgetting to see if a locksmith would be willing to take on the job of trying to get all my locks keyed alike. I'll have to try the soaking it in lube routine.

Is all this in the top 10 noob mistakes thread yet?
                        Dogma
                        --
                        O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
                        '80 GS850 GLT
                        '80 GS1000 GT
                        '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Dave, here’s a short video of how the bolt moves and locks against a flap of metal on the steering head. Mine was a little sticky there so I did shoot it with first brake kleen, then some silicone spray. Definitely helped it not be sticky. Try as I might I could not put together any combination of swivels and extensions to get a tool on either of the recessed Allen-head screws that bolt the ignition barrel in place. Clearly I head the headlamp bucket out of the way the last time I did this. I believe the alllens are 6mm. Don’t quote me. Hope this helps.

Rich
                          1982 GS 750TZ
                          2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

Comment

Yeah park position is a "use it regularly or use it NEVER" type of deal for just this reason...
                            1980 GS1000G - Sold
                            1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                            1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                            1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                            2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                            1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                            2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

I never imagined using this park position unless broke down on road. I've been lucky, never broke down where I couldn't get off the rd... I have turned them over there a couple of times just to see if it worked, & they always do..
                              1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Working...
                              X