Fairing or No Fairing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by koolaid_kid View Post
    You have a point. I wonder what he would have done if the V-Strom was offered fairing-less.
    Why, I would have bought one years ago...

Google "thinstrom" sometime -- removing the 'Strom's fairing is a fairly popular project, and I wouldn't rule it out if I get really bored some winter weekend.

Anyway, I understand the arguments for a fairing, but I personally just don't like the feel, the look, or anything about the whole numbed-down experience. I put a stock windscreen on my V-Strom once and it really changed the handling in an unpleasant way. The plexiglass barn door that was on the bike when I bought it turned it into a real pig. Unbolting that monstrosity was the best thing I ever did.

With bars set up to give a correct riding position, it's no problem to ride long distances on a naked bike.

If you plan to switch off or you aren't sure, I'd say get the bars changed (most people end up with "Daytona" or "Superbike" bend bars on a GS) so you're happy with the bike in naked mode, and THEN add the Forward Arthropod Juicer.
    Last edited by bwringer; 06-16-2010, 07:23 PM.
    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

One of the expereinces I missed by having a windscreen.
      That would maybe have been about the left cheekbone.

Note: Camera is purposlly focused on the splatt, which makes the background look out of focus. Windshield does not distort the view as you do see here. Notice that all the trees are out of focus, weither thru the windscreen or not.
      Last edited by Redman; 06-19-2010, 02:00 PM.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
      GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

I agree naked looks best, but a shield makes extended riding more comfortable. National Cycle Deflector = best of both worlds, since it comes off (without tools) in seconds, and doesn't look too shabby with it in place too.
        '82 GS1100E

Originally posted by themess
        Only in your own mind did you refute what I wrote.

Comment

Working...
        X