clutch cable seal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

clutch cable seal

it is now leaking and couldnt find it in the parts fiches...anyone know where i can get one?

Check out parts number 8 and 9 here:

6CABLE,CLUTCH
    58200-34X00 (replaces 58200-34200) 1$20.70 7
    09125-05034 1$0.65 8.PIN
    09209-10019 1$2.06 9.DUST SEAL
    09287-07003 (replaces 09287-07004) 1$2.27

These are from the dealer fiche here in Colorado Springs
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Or if it's inside the clutch area than parts number 26 and 27

26OIL SEAL (12X22X9)
      09285-12006 (replaces 09285-12002) 1$4.41 27BEARING (15X22X12)
      09263-15012 1$8.87
      Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
      1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
      2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
      Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
      and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

26 and 27 it is...thanks

Comment

How remove seal? 09285-12006

Did a search and found this thread. I have the clutch cover off my '82 850G, and am trying to replace the clutch arm oil seal (#26 on the clutch cover fiche below), part # 09285-12006. This is a hard rubber seal with a small little coil spring around the base, kind of like a tach drive seal only a little bigger. I've tried digging it out with a small knife, cutting it with an Xacto blade, and finally attached the clutch arm itself and tried to beat the arm with a rubber hammer - no luck. Any ideas on how to get this pesky seal out?

Comment

I'd be interested in knowing as well. My 650g spits oil on my pant leg alittle.

cg
            sigpic
            83 GS1100g
            2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

Well, I made a little progress on this. Soaked it in paint thinner overnight, and chipped some of it out by working carefully with an Xacto knife. There is an inner and outer race this seal fits into, and I was able to remove all the material from the thicker, inner race. It got better, more pliable the deeper I went, probably from less oxidation/exposure. Still, digging around with an Xacto for a couple hours and going through about 4 blades was no fun.

The outer race is much thinner so it will be much more difficult to get out with an Xacto knife. Would heat from a propane torch help, perhaps?

Comment

Rather than using flame, how about a hair dryer?

cg
                sigpic
                83 GS1100g
                2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

OK, I figured it out how to remove the seal. This seal is a metal band surrounded by hard rubber. You could probably just hit the outside with an awl and pry it out, but of course I had to make it harder than that. I was afraid of damaging the clutch cover, so I wasted about a dozen Xacto knife blades trying to cut it out. I knew I was hitting metal in the middle, but I thought it was the clutch cover, not the seal itself. In desperation, I heated the whole seal with a propane torch, and softened the rubber enough to pry the whole thing out. If you just use an awl, you can probably do it with the cover on the bike with no heat. If you want to add a little propane action or maybe a hairdryer, take the cover off first so you don't become a crispy critter.

Comment

There's another way...

Remove the cover, and use a long, thin punch at a slight angle to knock the clutch shaft out from the bottom. It'll push the bearing and seal out the top.

You do have to come up with a way to secure the clutch cover without damage, which can be the most difficult part of the project.
                    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Brian, you bum! I've been worrying about this for a week, and you throw in your expertise now! Actually, I tried to hit the back end of the shaft with a long punch to force it all out, but almost destroyed the edge of my workbench and the punch wasn't long enough. Plus, I didn't know if pounding on that hard metal would fix it or destroy it. I like my way better. By the way, chemicals don't work either - acetone, my other ace in the hole, doesn't touch hard rubber.

Comment

Well, there's more than one way to skin a cat...

Your way risks heat damage to the finish, and damage to the seal bore from the pics and tools used. All in all, it's probably the best method for many.

My way risks damaging or cracking the cover if you don't secure the cover properly, or clamp it too hard. You have to have a good bit of experience working with engine parts in order to avoid this. It's also hard to find a punch long enough to work well. I don't think the bearing gets damaged in the process, but that's also possible.

Neither is ideal, so until we discover the One True Way to remove these things, we might as well present all the options when the topic comes up.

For those playing along at home, the basic problem is that the seal is very deep compared to most -- you can't just pry it out of there because the seal can't tilt.
                        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

i pulled mine out by getting a small L shaped pick behind it and just pulling it out, just incase you havent got it out.

Comment

After reading this and know I have to do this, I am going to try two small angled picks and pull it straight up.

Is there suppose to be a small amount of play, up and down, in the shaft? Or is that an indication of wear?

Comment

Originally posted by Vmass View Post
                              After reading this and know I have to do this, I am going to try two small angled picks and pull it straight up.

Is there suppose to be a small amount of play, up and down, in the shaft? Or is that an indication of wear?

Up and down play in the shaft is normal and necessary.

Good luck with the picks, but it takes a good bit of force to move that seal
                              Eat more venison.

Comment

Working...
                              X