Should i "rebuild the motor?"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guys i had another electrical mishap and now my bike is almost totally taken apart.. once i take the harness out to repair it theres pretty much going to be nothing in the way i was seriously considering putting in this kit http://www.bikebandit.com/athena-com...=3641&t=1&td=1 from bike bandit...

My bike's speedo says around 16k miles i bought it at 9k but its a non-matching speedo so for all i know it has 50k miles on it, it dont leak too bad but it is sweating oil out of the head gaskets and its pretty messy looking. I have it in my garage now so im in no rush really.. i have the service manual as well, the bike runs pretty unpredictable one week its really spot on and then it starts running lean and starts to pop here and there. i just feel like it needs it. Am i just an ambitious idiot? should i just do a valve adjustment and call it even? it really doesnt seem like a hard job considering i have time on my hands, i really want it to be tip top shape for summer because i am not going to get off the thing
    Originally posted by tkent02
    That's not a tree, that's a shrubbery. Now get to work on that old dirt bike
    John 3:16

Gabriel, I won't say whether you should or not but go READ through all of the threads that discuss this brand of gaskets. They all say Athenas are mostly crap.
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
      Gabriel, I won't say whether you should or not but go READ through all of the threads that discuss this brand of gaskets. They all say Athenas are mostly crap.
      hm i know oem is the best by far but just one head gasket alone is about 80 dollars i cant find any other company that sells kits.. maybe i should just order the gaskets seperatly oem style

Comment

Do a search on this site man. There are tons of threads talking about this very subject as I found earlier when someone else started talking about rebuilding his engine (this afternoon)
        Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
        1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
        2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
        Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
        and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
          Do a search on this site man. There are tons of threads talking about this very subject as I found earlier when someone else started talking about rebuilding his engine (this afternoon)
          ur right, i will

Comment

it sounds like you need to do some routine maintenance. if compression is within the limits, and there is no mechanica failure, such as rattling of spun bearings or the like, leave it be.

what you SHOULD do however, is adjust your valves, clean the fuel tap, as well as carbs, synch said carbs(after adjusting valves) inspect the carb boots on both sides of the carbs for cracking/leaks and replace as needed, new intake O rings wouldnt hurt either I bet.

in all this is a rather simple and quick fix at reasonable cost.

Comment

I'm no mechanic, but do the maintenance. No air leaks, boots, air box, clean filter, good fuel, carbs clean and the biggie valves adjust those suckers as a memeber on the site went thru a series of issues untill he did that. Even with an engine rebuild with the other possible issues it won't matter.

Comment

I am not for or against rebuilding but the thought has crossed my mind. I also found this on ebay for my bike and looks like they have it for most other period bikes. Didn't know if it is worth trying or if they are crappy oem substitues.

Comment

I would pay particular heed to the advice of some of the knowledgeable members about gaskets. OEM gaskets are pricey but you only suffer once. If the Athena gaskets fail (and it appears almost certain that they will) then you get to do it all over again plus purchase the OEM gasket like you perhaps should have done to begin with.
                  I'm in the process of tearing my GS1000 down for the same reason that you speak of. Oil leaks that were trashing my floor and sliming the front of the bike big time. There is no way to repair that problem without pulling the head and the cylinders. I found that the PO had used a paper head gasket, aftermarket O-rings and some kind of rubber sealant around the oil ports and the chain galley. The additional small items that I'm finding have validated my decision to tear down and rebuild. So far I have found 2 missing and 1 incorrect sealing washers on the head studs. The above gasket issues. Missing thrust washers on the starter gear. No O-rings at all on the cylinders. Some sort of rubbery, black form-a-gasket mess from hell that can only be removed with carb cleaner, during a full moon while wearing a thong.
                  Tear down and rebuild. You won't regret it.
                  Don

Comment

The OEM Suzuki gasket set appears to be available for just under $200. Look on the second "OPTIONAL" fiche at any vendor besides BikeBandit. Part #11401-45818.

This is a far, far better deal that that crappy incomplete Athena kit for $76 - $100 shipped.

Poor quality aside, the aftermarket kits are very incomplete -- depending how far in you go, you'll still need to order dozens of missing bits from Suzuki. The OEM kits include EVERY gasket, sealing washer and o-ring in the engine (they do not include any of the crank/transmission seals).
                    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

I've used the athena kit when I put a new third gear on my gs1100 5 or 6 years and about 9000 miles ago, and haven't had any related problems to date. It was a good bit cheaper than $100 though.
                      I can't remember if I used their head gasket or not - It may have been a fiber gasket in the kit - but I know I put a steel shim gasket on the bike.
                      Last edited by Tom R; 01-07-2011, 07:34 AM.
                      -1980 GS1100 LT
                      -1975 Honda cb750K
                      -1972 Honda cl175
                      - Currently presiding over a 1970 T500

Comment

When I was looking for a gasket kit for my 82 Katana, I talked with Jef at Z-1 enterprises. He searched and searched until he found a Vesrah kit. It was complete except the valve cover gasket was the wrong one.
                        It's been holding up well so far, but I don't have more than 100 miles on it - bike was never registered last summer and now that winter's here, well, you know how it goes.

Comment

Originally posted by GabrielGoes View Post
                          Why do you ask about the "motor", then describe all the problems you are having with the "engine"?

If you decide to replace the gaskets in the "engine", why not go ahead and rebuild the "motor", too.

Most times, all it needs is a good cleaning and maybe a set of brushes.

(The STARTER is the only "motor" on your bike.)

sigpic
                          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                          Family Portrait
                          Siblings and Spouses
                          Mom's first ride
                          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                            Why do you ask about the "motor", then describe all the problems you are having with the "engine"?

If you decide to replace the gaskets in the "engine", why not go ahead and rebuild the "motor", too.

Most times, all it needs is a good cleaning and maybe a set of brushes.

(The STARTER is the only "motor" on your bike.)

i have lots to learn im not gonna lie lol... Messy looknig motor especially the front, sweating oil all over the place, i do not know how many miles are on the bike, maybe its just the really cold weather but it just started backfiring pretty badly out of no where, what really gets me is that i dont know how many miles are on it all i know is that i put about 6 thousand miles on it

Comment

I think Steve is pointing out "motors" are electric,"engines" run on petroleum products!(I know,I know,it's splitting hairs!)

Comment

Working...
                              X