Should i "rebuild the motor?"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ratznfragn View Post
    I think Steve is pointing out "motors" are electric,"engines" run on petroleum products!(I know,I know,it's splitting hairs!)
    Motorcycle, motor car, search engine. I don't think it matters what you call your motor / engine (as long as it's not Harley.....).
    79 GS1000S
    79 GS1000S (another one)
    80 GSX750
    80 GS550
    80 CB650 cafe racer
    75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
    75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

"Motor" is a "machine that converts other forms of energy into mechanical energy and so imparts motion".

"Engine" is a "motor that converts thermal energy to mechanical work".

So, an engine is a special kind of motor. Thus, there are two motors on your bike. One may also be called an engine. Saying "motor" instead of "engine" does sort of mark you as a mechanical noob, though. Everywhere I've been, anyway.

Now who can tell me the difference between a screw and a bolt? There is a difference.

Back on topic: I don't think a rebuild is necessary until some testing indicates a particular problem inside. Adjust the valves, check compression, maybe even cam timing. If all that is good, why open it?
      Last edited by Dogma; 01-09-2011, 07:19 PM.
      Dogma
      --
      O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
      '80 GS850 GLT
      '80 GS1000 GT
      '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

It sounds like your engine is covered with oil. Start by cleaning it. Get a can of degreaser spray from the car parts store. Warm the bike engine up, spray it, ride it to a car wash, and blast the oil off.

After that, look at it each time you ride to find where the oil is coming from. You might have a serious leak that requires a rebuild. It is more likely that your valve cover is leaning, or the tachometer take-off. Fixing the leak might be as simple as tightening a few bolts, and not require any parts at all.

And do the complete tune-up.
        sigpic[Tom]

“The greatest service this country could render the rest of the world would be to put its own house in order and to make of American civilization an example of decency, humanity, and societal success from which others could derive whatever they might find useful to their own purposes.” George Kennan

Comment

Originally posted by Dogma View Post
          Now who can tell me the difference between a screw and a bolt? There is a difference.
          From what I have heard, first you screw, then you bolt (for the door) when her husband comes home.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

well i have a similar issue with my 81 gs1100e, as far as sweating oil to the point that after a 50 mile ride, my left pant leg is oil stained. but so long as i keep her topped off she still runs and runs hard the only reason i stopped riding her is she leaking out the anti-dive valve. but thanks for starting this thread. i'm learning alot about gaskets

Comment

Bolts are defined as headed fasteners having external threads that meet an exacting, uniform bolt thread specification (such as M, MJ, UN, UNR, and UNJ) such that they can accept a nontapered nut. Screws are defined as headed, externally-threaded fasteners that do not meet the above definition of bolts.
              Last edited by Guest; 01-12-2011, 09:24 PM. Reason: Compliments of google, not me.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                Why do you ask about the "motor", then describe all the problems you are having with the "engine"?

If you decide to replace the gaskets in the "engine", why not go ahead and rebuild the "motor", too.

Most times, all it needs is a good cleaning and maybe a set of brushes.

(The STARTER is the only "motor" on your bike.)

I have often wondered why then we call them MOTORcycles or outboardMOTORS. Maybe they should be called ENGINEcycles and outboardENGINES. Just saying.

Comment

i've wondered why folk in the US call petrol "gas" as well, but thats for another thread

Comment

Working...
                  X