Top 10 Newbie Mistakes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lettuceman44 View Post
    For #7, the rewiring, I'm a little confused by what R/R is. Can anyone give me a quick definition?

Larry D
    1980 GS450S
    1981 GS450S
    2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Amazing wisdom. Thanks for all the advice, wish I would have seen it sooner. Thankfully I havn't done anything drastic, as it is still not running. In the process of a complete carb rebuild now. Looking forward to keeping tabs on everything here! Until I get it in my profile...1980 GS450s, northwest Illinois.

Comment

Don't ever take your bike to the shop and tell them what to do based on any internet discussions from people who have never physically seen your motorcycles.

That being said, use the advise given on the internet to further educate yourself for if and when you do take it to the shop, but don't belittle them (coordinator/technician/human) with too much B-S from the digital world.

And the standard:

• You don't tug on superman's cape
        • You don't spit into the wind
        • You don't pull the mask off that old lone ranger
        • And you don't mess around with the forum mods (if you care about sticking around)

Comment

Originally posted by BoCoMoMann View Post
          Don't ever take your bike to the shop and tell them what to do based on any internet discussions from people who have never physically seen your motorcycles.

That being said, use the advise given on the internet to further educate yourself for if and when you do take it to the shop, but don't belittle them (coordinator/technician/human) with too much B-S from the digital world.
          I take it you work in a shop.
          Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

So being a forum, and motorcycle gearhead newbie I am in need of some help on my bike. I have been grilling Steve constantly ( I am sure in his mind I have a squeaky mouse voice screaming out by now). I am hoping that there may be somebody on here who is in my general vicinity that can provide some physical help from time to time (including some day soon). I am in the Kansas City metro area. I would rather gain some of the technical wisdom required by watching and learning firsthand. This thread is awesome to be sure! I would add to this list... remembering you actually have a tool to accomplish a given task after having already scratched or slightly damaging some part with a wrong fitting or unqualified tool.

Comment

It's springtime 2018, and all over the northern hemisphere, motorcycles are being awakened from their winter's slumber.

Or their 20-years-in-the-back-of-the-shed-covered-in-bird-poop slumber.

And sometimes the attempts at awakening are less than successful.

If you're new to the forum, welcome! Please start at the beginning of this thread and read it through. Then place your hand over your heart and solemnly swear you will avoid the mistakes documented here, and strive to at least invent new and creative mistakes.

Even if you're not new and you're wondering why your bike won't start, please re-read the first post... your answer is virtually guaranteed to be found there.
              1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
              2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
              2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
              Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Alright, I STILL don't get what you're actually supposed to do in #7 despite having read the excessively worded "Stator papers" TWICE now. Although I appreciate the work that went into putting it together I can't help be be reminded of the Robert Persig quote "Metaphysics is like a restraunt with a 10,000 page menu that serves no actual food" In other words, too little substance.
                1980 Yamaha XS1100G (Current bike)
                1982 GS450txz (former bike)
                LONG list of previous bikes not listed here.

These aren't my words, I just arrange them

Comment

Originally posted by LAB3 View Post
                  Alright, I STILL don't get what you're actually supposed to do in #7 despite having read the excessively worded "Stator papers" TWICE now. Although I appreciate the work that went into putting it together I can't help be be reminded of the Robert Persig quote "Metaphysics is like a restraunt with a 10,000 page menu that serves no actual food" In other words, too little substance.

Better yet though is go to Basscliff's website and read through the electrical section, particularly the sections about the charging system...http://members.dslextreme.com/users/...-ends.html#A20.
                  Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Got what I needed, my head was swimming after reading the stator papers a second time, the first post in the thread told me what I wanted to know. After years of studying philosophy my brain has had enough of overly complex language!
                    1980 Yamaha XS1100G (Current bike)
                    1982 GS450txz (former bike)
                    LONG list of previous bikes not listed here.

These aren't my words, I just arrange them

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post

That needs to be made a STICKY!!

(Not that it will ever be read, though )

Hey, I resemble that remark...

Comment

Thanks for providing this info. I am a pro
                        Ud new owner of an '83 GR650. I have been wanting to rebuild an older bike for a long time. The forum members here are top notch. I hope to return the favor.

Happy Wrenching
                        1983 GR650 Tempter Rebuild - Completed and Sold

Comment

Gas Expands With Heat

Not sure if this mistake made it here yet or not. I filled my tank while visiting with another rider at the pump. Before I knew it I had filled it above the bottom of the filler neck. It was still maybe 3/4" below the cap though. I figured since I was hitting the highway, I'd burn it quickly.

I pulled out of the station and got caught by a red light. Well, my tank is black and it's over 90° F in the shade. That 5 gallons of gas I'd just pumped is now sitting in the sun over a hot engine. It only took ten seconds before it spewed out from under the cap, cascading onto the hot engine. Oh crap! Immediate U-turn back under the shady gas station canopy. The fountain of gas stopped as soon as I got out of the sun, and I washed the mess off of the tank and the engine.

I pondered how to pull a small amount of gas out of the tank without making more of a mess, but didn't come up with any bright ideas. I hoped whatever spewed was enough to get me at least out onto the highway into the wind, so I gave it a shot. Timing the light just right so I didn't have to stop again right away I hit the road. All is well and lesson learned!
                          Roger

Current rides
                          1983 GS 850G
                          2003 FJR 1300A
                          Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

Yeah, had that happen to me too a couple years ago. Filled up, drove home 4 miles, and parked in the sun on the centerstand. Didn't know about it for an hour. Fresh paint job was ruined.

1983 GS750ED-Horsetraded for the Ironhead
                            1981 HD XLH

Drew's 850 L Restoration

Drew's 83 750E Project

Comment

Exactly why there's a daft little pinhole at the top of the filler neck as breather, to discourage over-filling.
                              In more temperate climes I get away with enlarging that hole to get the last litre or two in with minimal waiting.
                              ---- Dave
                              79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                              80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                              79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                              92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Assuming the factory dealer you had swap your tire would grease your hub joint splines.
                                1982 Suzuki GS650G

Comment

Working...
                                X