Top 10 Newbie Mistakes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hjacobmiller View Post
    I'm definitely guilty of all the original 10 and subsequent.

Sorry

I might be on the tail end of this one, but if I could add one:

Thinking you know how an engine & electrical system works when you don't.

I am definitely guilty but glad to learn!

I apologize for my newbfulness!

Ha! You think you got it bad? How do you think I learned this stuff! If you ain't failing, you ain't trying.

It's only a "mistake" if you something wrong twice.
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
      Ha! You think you got it bad? How do you think I learned this stuff! If you ain't failing, you ain't trying.

It's only a "mistake" if you something wrong twice.
      Well said Ed! I'm still learning...
      1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
      1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Ha! I broke one of my float posts before I bought a proper punch. luckily the Suzuki shop near me had a whole mess load of Mikuni's in the attic. Was able to get a carb body for $18

Comment

Thread in my statistics...so I can reference it. #10 stuck out at me for some reason. Probably because I wanted a cash-only bike purchase and I know just enough to get acquainted with the task at hand.

Ed
          GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
          GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
          GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
          Originally posted by GSXR7ED
          Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Oh god I love this thread. I laugh the entire time I'm reading it... and cry at the same time. Lol I'm pretty much guilty of every single newbie mistakes except #10. I bought my GS because I knew I'd have to fix it. I did cave twice though and took it to a shop, one for a tire change and one for a valve adjustment because working on my engine scared me. silly.

Comment

my newbie mistake

sloppy clutch lever, poor contact at the interlock inductor. My first road test was today 2-20-13!

Comment

Number 10

Originally posted by JaNewb View Post
                Oh god I love this thread. I laugh the entire time I'm reading it... and cry at the same time. Lol I'm pretty much guilty of every single newbie mistakes except #10. I bought my GS because I knew I'd have to fix it. I did cave twice though and took it to a shop, one for a tire change and one for a valve adjustment because working on my engine scared me. silly.
                REFERENCE:
                10) Buying a 30 year old motorcycle because it was cheap without any mechanical knowledge and no interest in learning. Paying a shop to work on your 30 year old motorcycle is not advised unless you have lots of money to spend and know for a fact that they are trustworthy.

Looking back, I considered an older bike because I was interested in doing a rebuild. Not knowing about GSR, things looked as though I was going to rely on the "Bike Shop". Well, I'm fortunate in that I was able to get the following done without paying 2Xs what my bike was worth:

Carbs-Installed by shop
                Inlet hoses-Installed by shop
                Compression Test-Done by shop
                Brake pedal-Installed by shop
                Clutch Cable-Adjustment/cotter pin installed by shop
                Front turn Indicators-($20EA)-ordered/installed by shop
                1 Air Filter-($10) ordered/installed by shop
                Tightened/secured air cleaner case cover-by shop
                Tightened instrumentation panels (speedo/tach)-by shop
                Replace 1 bolt; right side exhaust bracket and 1 screw for right side CAM cover-by shop
                Tank and seat-Install by shop

All in all I spent about $1K CASH for: 1.) the Bike, 2.) Annual Insurance, and 3.) Maintenance Repair. With the 2-yr registration and DE tax, add $80. My goal was to get it roadworthy and start enjoying the bike. Since I have the bike at home now, I can do the maintenance myself utilizing BassCliff's Website.

Ed
                Last edited by GSXR7ED; 02-21-2013, 10:23 PM.
                GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
                GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
                GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
                Originally posted by GSXR7ED
                Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

One of the most common tech calls we get is in regards to carburetion because the bike runs like pooh.

Invariably, John Q. Caller has NOT checked his ignition system to determine it's overall health. And when asked if his valves are within spec we typically get the "yup, they seem pretty good" for an answer.

I suspect I can direct them to this thread a thousand times and they'll still go chasing after carburetor ghosts.

MAKE SURE YOUR IGNITION AND VALVE TRAIN ARE HEALTHY BEFORE CHASING CARBURETOR ISSUES!!!!

So what's with the petcock and #2 cylinder plug-fouling correlation?

Comment

Originally posted by Bakes View Post
                    So what's with the petcock and #2 cylinder plug-fouling correlation?

Vacum is drawn off the #2 carb. Sometimes when the petcock takes a dump, fuel flows back into this vac port in the carb, into the cylinder and even into the crankcase.

cg
                    sigpic
                    83 GS1100g
                    2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

Nice thread. I picked up my bike and did a full 12 k mile service plus sealed air box and new filter but I still have a lot of work to do. Thats ok that is why I bought the bike to learn some thing and enjoy. Thanks Gs resource dudes and gals.

Comment

Brilliant thread -- exactly why I want to hang around this locker room, sports bar, workshop, and motorcycle monastery. Thanks, Nessism. You are a Steely-Eyed Motorcycle Man!

Comment

Originally posted by Mattias44 View Post
                          How about believing a single word the PO tells you about the bike?

Present company excluded, of course.
                          Hah! Tell me about it....

Originally posted by MR -K View Post
                          Putting on your carbs and forgetting to put on the fuel line beforehand.
                          Add to this - Putting on your carbs and not attaching the throttle cable first (and checking if it needs replacing before starting the carb job)

Using fuel stabilizer - gummed the heck out of my carbs and my friend's carbs after sitting only two weekends.
                          Last edited by Guest; 06-23-2013, 03:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by WilliamGLX81 View Post
                            Using fuel stabilizer - gummed the heck out of my carbs and my friend's carbs after sitting only two weekends.
                            Not sure I have heard that one before?? Are you talking about Sta-bil?

Comment

Originally posted by estcstm3 View Post
                              Not sure I have heard that one before?? Are you talking about Sta-bil?
                              I believe he means he's learned to use stabilizer since gumming up those carbs, not that the stabilizer caused it.

Comment

Originally posted by UncleMike View Post
                                I believe he means he's learned to use stabilizer since gumming up those carbs, not that the stabilizer caused it.
                                doooh you are right...it was late =)

Comment

Working...
                                X