Oil Level Sight Glass Repair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oil Level Sight Glass Repair

Okay, I was my usual rushing self a couple of months ago when trying to clean the oil level sight glass and tried to pull it out by picking at the rubber outside mount. I couldn't get it out very easily that way or by pushing on it so I left it alone thinking that I didn't do much damage to it.

Unfortunately, I know I'm leaking oil out that glass so I know I'll need to replace it soon. I found posts here talking about replacing it with the Suzuki part number 11971-45010 or with the Kawasaki solution - Oil Level Gauge Kawasaki 52015-004

However, is there another way to repair it? All of the searches showed I needed to just replace it but I'm just curious as to my options. If not, I'll get a new one on order in the next few weeks.

Thanks.
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

If it is leaking you damaged the seal, the correct way to repair it is to replace it. The glass comes with the seal

Comment

Figured as much Lynn but I was hoping.

Sorry for the trouble.

1981 GS550T - My First

Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die

Comment

A new sight glass is only $8 or so, so it's well worth replacing.

For some silly reason it's not listed on the fiches for some GS models, but they all use the same one.

Don't forget to order a clutch cover gasket as well -- if you don't have one on hand, it WILL tear. Murphy's Law, you know...
        1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
          A new sight glass is only $8 or so, so it's well worth replacing.

For some silly reason it's not listed on the fiches for some GS models, but they all use the same one.

Don't forget to order a clutch cover gasket as well -- if you don't have one on hand, it WILL tear. Murphy's Law, you know...
          thanks also man i never even put much thought into replacing mine until now.

Comment

Brian you are right. I did it last Thursday evening and the longest part of the whole job was cleaning the old gasket material off the cover. Super easy.

Thank you.

1981 GS550T - My First

Comment

Need to replace mine also, going to sandblast/powdercoat the cover. I'm finding 2 part numbers...

11971-45010 LENS, OIL LEVEL(OD:25) | ~E.NO.136795

11971-33210 LENS, OIL LEVEL(OD:30) | E.NO.136796~

I'm not home to check, but I'm guessing E. NO means the engine number? The part numbers people are listing on here seem to all be the 45010 one. Is that the correct one for a 650L?

Comment

I would think so since it looks like they must have changed something in that model year.

1981 GS550T - My First

Comment

bear in mind the kawasaki sight glass does not have the metal "spider" behind it. makes it much easier to see the level and clean it if it gets a bit mucky
                  1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Does anyone know how to put on a "oil presure guage or where to mount it off the engine on my 1981 gs650l?

thanks

Comment

Aztec, why don't you start your own thread so you can actually get answers to your questions instead of hijacking this one that has nothing to do with your question.

1981 GS550T - My First

Comment

Originally posted by aztectennis View Post
                        Does anyone know how to put on a "oil presure guage or where to mount it off the engine on my 1981 gs650l?

thanks
                        You don't want a gauge, seeing 3 or 4 psi would scare you.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Working...
                        X