No announcement yet.

adjust chain tension

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just grab the chain with your grimmy little finger and pull up and down (like I tell my wife), If you properly did it on the center stand, you may find slightly tighter chain when you plop it back on the side stand. Just make sure it's not TOO tight. That would result in a grinding noise which is the chain and sprockets munching on each other.

An extremely loose chain will probably produce strange slapping noises which will likely be the chain slapping on the swingarm.
    Last edited by Rob S.; 10-13-2023, 01:04 PM.
    1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

That's total BS, Rob. We all know full well no woman would ever put up with you and your 1100E parked in the living room.
      Rich
      1982 GS 750TZ
      2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
      Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Originally posted by Grimly View Post
        It's really simple.
        The chain, on its longest lower run, is raised up by a max of 30mm with the finger.
        Jeez, how much simpler do you want it?
        Use the toe of your boot. LOL
        '84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/

Comment

Originally posted by Rich82GS750TZ View Post
          That's total BS, Rob. We all know full well no woman would ever put up with you and your 1100E parked in the living room.
          Not true - there used to be a Harley standing right next to Suzi and they got along fine (the bikes).

But I have a vague memory of some female saying something like, "They go or I go!"

It was a shame - the door almost hit her on the way out!
          1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Working...
          X