No announcement yet.

I'm finally fixing it!!! YEA!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was thinking the same thing Eric..but he needs to ask around and see whose somewhat close. Its way easier if I was sitting in the garage with him and the bike right there. Can hear it and get a true understanding of exactly how its acting.
    MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
    1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Besides Freshman Joe, who also lives there, some of these guys that are going to this rally should be close enough to help:

Eric

Comment

Great idea...Rally stop on the way down..have some beers and brats ready to go and get an education on the bike all in one stop..what a lovely idea.
        1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by 7981GS View Post
          Aren't there some other GSer's that live in Bloomington?
          Perhaps one or two of them could help you with your bike also.

Eric
          I don't think so. Not Bloomington il at least. Ive been on the look out sinced i've signed up and the closest i've found is in chicagoland with the exception of one guy who said he lives within 45a min if me but he dosen't have a dl. Maybe i should pm him and see if he'll help if i give him a ride but i feel weird doing it since i don't know him.

Comment

You dont know me but you called...so whats the diff???

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
              You dont know me but you called...so whats the diff???
              If you wanted to you can hang up on me. If i give him a ride over to my place he's relying on me a guy he dosen't know to A not be a d-bag and B give him a ride home when he needs it. Little different helping a guy from cross the country vs at him place. Maybe it's cause i grew up in a bad neighborhood but i tend not to trust people off the bat.

Comment

Originally posted by FreshmanJoe View Post
                If you wanted to you can hang up on me. If i give him a ride over to my place he's relying on me a guy he dosen't know to A not be a d-bag and B give him a ride home when he needs it. Little different helping a guy from cross the country vs at him place. Maybe it's cause i grew up in a bad neighborhood but i tend not to trust people off the bat.
                If I were closer, I'd come help you out. A number of forum dudes have come by for help with stuff (to the extent I can), and to pick up some random spare parts I had. None of them have been axe murderers . . . so far.

Other dudes on this forum have hooked me up with the odd free part or two, so I generally have an open door policy for people on this forum. Call it a karma investment.

Of course I live in a "bad area" by a lot of suburban standards being in the city and not in some tampon neighborhood. All the vagrants and scrap metal collectors that roam the alley behind my house/garage know me as "that dude still working on his bike."

Comment

[QUOTE=MisterCinders;1637720]If I were closer, I'd come help you out. A number of forum dudes have come by for help with stuff (to the extent I can), and to pick up some random spare parts I had. None of them have been axe murderers . . . so far.

Other dudes on this forum have hooked me up with the odd free part or two, so I generally have an open door policy for people on this forum. Call it a karma investment.

Of course I live in a "bad area" by a lot of suburban standards being in the city and not in some tampon neighborhood. All the vagrants and scrap metal collectors that roam the alley behind my house/garage know me as "that dude still working on his bike." [/QUOT

Yea, i sent him a pm prior to posting here. I understand that just about everyone helps each other however they can but still if some random dude asked you to jump in his car so he can take you over to his place to fix his bike. I dunno my first reaction would be that somthing shady was going to happen. I know i'm paranoid. By the way since your from chicago you may kniw the area i grew up in. It was Zion right up next to the power plant

Comment

OK, so basketcase came by today to give me a hand and WOW! What a huge difference a guy with some know how can make in a few hrs. Now she's running pretty good but not perfect. At low RMPs (under 3000) she's sluggish. I need to give her a little more gas when I let off the clutch but not too much. It's just enough to notice. I need to replace the ?intake boots?. The part that connects the carbs to the motor. They are old, crappy, and letting in air. That is part of the issue. The other part is we can't sync carb #1 due to the nut on top of the slide assembly being stuck to the screw. So I need to find a new idle screw and nut to replace it. Anyone have an extra or know where I can find one??? I also still need to do the valve clearance. I know, I know, I'll get to it before I take her out on a ride that isn't around the block. Then change the exhaust gaskets to stop the exhaust leak then she should be running like new and I can start moving my focus to getting into a ride like a pro class and getting some long rides in.

Here's the idle screw I'm looking to replace. Any help in locating one is much appreciated. I've already looked at z1 and ape.

Comment

What is that screw from and where did you find it on the bike?

Eric

Comment

On top of the slide assembley in the carb. You loosen the nut and turn the screw to sync the carb.

Comment

Are you talking about parts 18, 19, and 20 here?

Something doesn't look right if so.
                          Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                          1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                          2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                          Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                          and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

No, it's 34,35,36,33. That's a handy pic.

Comment

Take 2 pieces of pine board and put on eaqch side of the vice jaws and lock it in. Heat the nut with a propane torch and USE THE 8 MM SOCKET and the nut will come right off. Then dip it in the carbs dip overnight and clean it up a bit and reinstall.

Comment

And dont loose the spring and the top cupped thing either!!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X