No announcement yet.

I'm finally fixing it!!! YEA!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hooked up the carbtune and yep. they aren't in sync. so I'm syncing them now. let's see if this does it.

Comment

So we are assuming that youve done the valves and all the carb parts are the correct ones..
      MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
      1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
        So we are assuming that youve done the valves and all the carb parts are the correct ones..
        The carb parts are the correct ones and I haven't gotten to the valve clearance yet. Figured I would get to that next weekend cause I need the bike the get to work this week. Wifey got a new job and needs the car and I refuse to ride that damn scooter again.

Comment

Ahh...well remember to redo the sync after you do the valves. Once the valves are correct that changes all the perameters of the cylinders vaccuum and exhaust, so this sync is a "patch" so to speak till you get the time to do the complete system. Not preaching or brow beating you..just want to have a clear vision of whats been done and still needed thats all.
          Last edited by chuck hahn; 04-30-2012, 01:54 PM.
          1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Ahh...well remember to redo the sync after you do the valves. Once the valves are correct that changes all the perameters of the cylinders vaccuum and exhaust, so this sync is a "patch" so to speak till you get the time to do the complete system. Not preaching or brow beating you..just want to have a clear vision of whats been done and still needed thats all.
            it's all good. Now since I mistakenly ordered the 2cyl version instead of the 4 I need to let this bike cool off for an hr or so so I could hook up the carbtune without burning the crap out of my hand but with only 2 of the 4 in sync I notice a great improvement.

Comment

I got more bad news for you...you need ALL 4 hooked up at the same time..when you change one it will change another..so youll have to monitor ALL 4 cyclinders at the same time so you can get them all the same.

Comment

I got more bad news for you...you need ALL 4 hooked up at the same time..when you change one it will change another..so youll have to monitor ALL 4 cyclinders at the same time so you can get them all the same.
                Was thinking bout syncing 1 & 2 together then 2 & 3 by only changing 3 then 3 & 4 by only changing 4

Comment

Wont work in my experience..when you change say #4, it may change 1 and 3 also. Your gonna need to see all 4 at the same time because your gonna be jumping around and readjusting the idle as you go.

Comment

So i have it synced the best i can. I hear a spt sound followed by my exaust popping so i think i have a air leak somewhere. On top of that my rpm revs up to bout 4000the with choke on and when i ease it down the rpm drops with it till it dies with the idle off. if i turn my idle screw up a hair it won't die but the rpm will be around 4500 with the choke on and 1100 with it off. Why it my choke messing with my rpms so much ? Is that spt sound making my exhaust pop?

Comment

Turn the idle knob in about 1/2 a turn at a time and it will eventually idle..you gotta screw it in far enough so it lifts the slides a little bit . As for the choke..yes it revs it up like that. Start the bike and slowly back off the lever so it maintains around 2,000 or so and let it warm up a few minutes.

Comment

I've come to the conclusion that my carbs are fine. Something else is wrong.
                        It idle's beautifully but when i put it in gear to go for a ride I lose power
                        I thought maybe timing is the copret so I opened the timing cover so I can see what I'm getting myself into and a screw fell out Ok, so now I have to figure out how to do this. I've read the service manual and it looks pretty straight forward but I what I see on my bike and the pics on the service manual aren't the same.

what I have. The hole I'm pointing at it is the screw that fell out.

I thought that maybe this is just a cover so I tried to remove it. Thats why the screws are all gone in the pic but it wouldn't budge and I didn't want to force it. Don't want to risk screwing it up. Any tips? suggestions?

Comment

Originally posted by FreshmanJoe View Post
                          Holy sh*t I have never been so scared or nervous in my life. Everything I "fix" I end up breaking more. I hope I can do this without messing up my bike.
                          Still feel like I'm just messing it up. But I have to be making progress. I just haven't fixed the problem, right? So my bike idles fine but loses power in gear. I still hear poping in my exhaust but that's problly just bad seals in my exhaust, no big deal after all it does leak a bit. I guess that's it. I just have to find out why I lose power when in gear. You guys are the pros you tell me. What would you do? keep in mind that screw that fell out when taking off the timing cover and the fact that valve clearances haven't been done in at least the 3 yrs I've owned the bike.

Comment

Im up from my nap call me back.

Comment

You were cooking when we talked and I thought of this after I hug up. Even though the timing marks are lined up check that the timing advance governor isnt stuck. Do this by turning the center part of the ignition module and see if it springs back. Do it a few times to be sure its good.

Comment

Aren't there some other GSer's that live in Bloomington?
                                Perhaps one or two of them could help you with your bike also.

Eric

Comment

Working...
                                X