No announcement yet.

I'm finally fixing it!!! YEA!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well it did sputter..so i would check fuses and other connections like at the coil / wire harness. Maybe refresh the plug wire ends at the boots. ( cut about 1/4 inch off them and rescrew the caps back on.) If you look inside the plug boots and you see a slotted thing then youve go resistor boots. Unscrew the thing and dump out the resistors and springs. Note the numbers 2 and 3 have a spring and 1 and 4 do not. Cut a piece of 1/8 rod the same length as the resistors and put the rod in and NOT the resistors. The resistors go bad and cut all spark to the cylinders. If that not the problem, then at least it never will be in the future.
    Last edited by chuck hahn; 04-18-2012, 11:47 AM.
    MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
    1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

The thread linked in my sig has a basic overview of why a bike won't start. Use that to root out whether the problem is electrical, carbs or compression.

Sounds like a spark issue, but there are some easy things you can do to isolate the problem. Check the plugs for wet or dry, for instance.

Comment

I would still eliminate the resistors if you have them..do it once and never be worried they will fail at some point...usually about 100 miles from home or help.
        1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

UPDATE
          I've pulled the plugs off the carb bowls and there isn't fuel in the #1 carb. #2, 3, and 4 have fuel. Now I just have to find out why.
          What would cause this?? Do I have to take the carbs back off?
          And I would check my resistors if I knew what they were. Will look into it but I think the prob is fuel.
          Last edited by Guest; 04-18-2012, 12:29 PM.

Comment

I explained what they are and where they are.. Look inside the spark plug boot hole...see if theres a slotted thing in there. Unscrew it and dump the spring and resistor ( ceramic looking thing ) into your hand. As for the fuel ...flick the float up and down and look to see if the float needle is stuck.

Comment

This is what youll find down inside the boot if youn have the resistors...

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
                I explained what they are and where they are.. Look inside the spark plug boot hole...see if theres a slotted thing in there. Unscrew it and dump the spring and resistor ( ceramic looking thing ) into your hand. As for the fuel ...flick the float up and down and look to see if the float needle is stuck.
                Sorry, guess I wasn't paying attention.
                I'm assuming that the spark plug boot hole is the hole on the engine that the spark plug lives in. I've pulled the #1 plug (which is dry) and I'm not seeing a slotted thing. So I'm thinking that this isn't the hole you were talking about. Going to trace the plug wires to see if I can find it. Sorry but I'm a newb. Thanks for your patience.

Comment

This is what youll find down inside the boot if youn have the resistors...

AAHHHHH! No I don't have them. That was easy. And I've been tapping it with a screwdriver still no fuel in that carb. Still no start.

Comment

Inside the CAP that you push onto the spark plug...look down inside with a flashlight. So now that I know your not familiar, let me explain about what I mean by refreshing the wire ends. The sparkm plug CAP screws onto the ends of the spark plug wires. If you unscrew the boots off the wires youll see a little screw in there. You need a good clean connection there too. So what you dom is to snip about 1/4 inch off the spark plug wire and screw the CAP back onto the wires...follow me now???

Comment

Inside the CAP that you push onto the spark plug...look down inside with a flashlight. So now that I know your not familiar, let me explain about what I mean by refreshing the wire ends. The sparkm plug CAP screws onto the ends of the spark plug wires. If you unscrew the boots off the wires youll see a little screw in there. You need a good clean connection there too. So what you dom is to snip about 1/4 inch off the spark plug wire and screw the CAP back onto the wires...follow me now???
                      Got it! doing it. Unhooking my battery first, don't want to get fried

Comment

Originally posted by FreshmanJoe View Post
                        UPDATE
                        I've pulled the plugs off the carb bowls and there isn't fuel in the #1 carb. #2, 3, and 4 have fuel. Now I just have to find out why.
                        What would cause this?? Do I have to take the carbs back off?
                        And I would check my resistors if I knew what they were. Will look into it but I think the prob is fuel.
                        I had this happen once for a really dumb reason (because I am really dumb, you see).

Check the carb bodies. If you mistakenly swap the 1 and 2 bodies when putting them back together, no fuel will pass through to the outside carb.

Just look though the fuel ports. You can see clear through the fuel openings on 2 and 3, while 1 and 4 are dead-ends.

Comment

He just called me...problem solved. Ill let him fill you in.

Comment

Originally posted by MisterCinders View Post
                            I had this happen once for a really dumb reason (because I am really dumb, you see).

Check the carb bodies. If you mistakenly swap the 1 and 2 bodies when putting them back together, no fuel will pass through to the outside carb.

Just look though the fuel ports. You can see clear through the fuel openings on 2 and 3, while 1 and 4 are dead-ends.
                            BIG THANK YOU!!!! to Chuck to giving me a call and talking me through this.
                            AND THANK YOU to MisterCinders. You see it appears that I'm a dumb person too! I mislabled 1&2. When they came out of the bath the label washed off. I thought I relabeled them properly but after comparing them to some photos I defently swaped them. All well time to do it again. I thought this was too easy.

Comment

It's alive!!!! Wahahahahaha!

So after taking the carbs off again and switching 1 and 2 then putting on than taking off the shaft about a million times cause i kept forgetting somthing. Then doing a bench sync after each time. I GOT IT RUNNING!! YEA!!! But then something evil happened. I saw two screws sitting on my workbench. AAHHHHHHHH!!!! Found out that they hold carb #3 to the mounting plate. All well, I'll deal with it later. For now I can relish in the fact that it started
                              Got to get to work will have some requested pics up tonight after work.

Comment

Huzzah!

When I made this same fumble, it took several sessions of cleaning and poking holes until I noticed that I could see right through the "No. 4" fuel passage. I literally thought, "Well that isn't blocked, you can see straight through there. Hey, wait a minute . . . "

With that lesson under my belt, I don't even label the carbs to dip them. Just check the fuel passages and air screw locations to identify which carb is which.

Comment

Working...
                                X