Valve clearance drift

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Valve clearance drift

Just trying to get a feeler from some of the experienced members here.

How often are shim changes required? I know to check every 4-5000 miles, but how often does a shim change?

I ask because my most recent clearance adjustment, just after I got the bike, was a pretty big range of shims from 2.30 to 2.75.

If the clearance changes every couple of times, and the thinnest shim is a 2.20, theoretically, I can only get another 10-20K miles out of this cylinder head before a rebuild.

I sometimes commute on the bike, and my commute is 120 miles round trip, so I can burn miles quick doing that.

I check my valve clearances every 4,000 miles, and the usual pattern is that I need to change one or two shims every other check. My bike sees a LOT of high-rpm use.

The experiences of other 8V owners I've talked to are about the same.
    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

The last check of the valves on my wife's bike showed that only one valve needed a shim change, and that was only one size. And, that was after about 20,000 miles of no changes.

The difference in shim sizes in interesting, but if that's what it takes to get proper clearances, so be it.

Here is where I make an unashamed plug for my spreadsheet. You already have a copy, it is easy to look at the records to see what has changed, and how often. Generally, they will change the most right after any head work has been done or new valves installed (which might explain the different shim sizes), then will "settle in" and not require much attention for quite a while.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Ok, this lends me a bit of comfort. I don't have any history with GS's. This 850 is my first. I just wanted to get a feel of how long I can expect to go between major head rebuilds.
        Very helpful. Thanks!

Comment

Working...
        X