No announcement yet.

Newb mistake, used the wrong oil!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i use rotella 15-40w in my bike just started using it with the last oil change and its about time for another one soon but i love it so much better then the adverised motorcycle oil, never had an issue with it and it seems like is has improved engine workings, i didnt say performance but what i mean is the working of the motor everything felt smoother and seemed to quite a hair as well

Comment

Originally posted by 7981GS View Post
      No. But you might want to use NEW lock washers.

Eric
      What size are the lock washers, or is there a good place to find a parts manual with all of the nut, screw, bolt, and washer sizes in general? If I remember correctly from the first oil change, there may not have been lock washers on there in the first place.

Comment

Originally posted by exzachtly1 View Post
        I used this oil

Scroll down in the description, you will see this:

Standards: API SM/SL, ILSAC GF-4 & GF-3, Energy Conserving
        That is the FIRST time I have seen anything thicker than 10w-30 with the "Energy Conserving" rating.

Looked on Valvoline's site, can't even find that oil for any details, will have to loof at the store this evening.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
          That is the FIRST time I have seen anything thicker than 10w-30 with the "Energy Conserving" rating.

Looked on Valvoline's site, can't even find that oil for any details, will have to loof at the store this evening.

Looks like I hit the newbie lottery then, lol! Just my luck

Comment

Originally posted by ptexotik
            c'mon guy take one of the nuts off and get to Hardware store for a fit that's slightly larger than thread circumference!
            Haha, OK will do! I was planning to stop on the way home but I guess I can do it that way too. Trying to save on the runaround is all

Comment

What size are the lock washers, or is there a good place to find a parts manual with all of the nut, screw, bolt, and washer sizes in general? If I remember correctly from the first oil change, there may not have been lock washers on there in the first place.

All I've ever seen on the GS's I've ever had anything to do with were 6mm
              flat washers.
              sigpicSome of the totally committed probably should be.
              '58 + '63 Vespa 150's' (London, GB/RI, US)
              '67 X6 T20 ('67 Long Beach, Ca.- misty-eyed)
              '71 Kaw. A1-ugh ('71 SF, CA- worked @ Kaw dlr)
              '66 Yam. YL1('72 SF-commuter beater)
              '73 Kaw. S2A-2Xugh ('73 SF-still parts slave)
              '78 GS 750C ('77 SF-old faithful-killed by son)
              '81 KZ 750E ('81 SF-back to Kaw. dlr)
              '81 GS 650G ('08 back to NE&ME- (project)
              '82 GS '82 (2) GS650GZ, L, Middlebury, G current

Comment

Not flat washers, lock washers. Suzuki does not call for thread lock. You can download a real factory service manual for your bike from basscliff's website for free.
                Last edited by Nessism; 09-06-2012, 04:12 PM.
                Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Surprisingly, they only show the nut and a lock washer in the fiche.

I have always used a flat washer between a lock washer and an aluminum part, but it was never there in the original design.

sigpic
                  Family Portrait
                  Siblings and Spouses
                  Mom's first ride
                  Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                    Not flat washers, lock washers. Suzuki does not all for thread lock. You can download a real factory service manual for your bike from basscliff's website for free.
                    Yeah I do have the service manual, but I don't see any info about the sizes of washers, bolts, etc... it's a big manual so maybe I am just missing it.

I'll probably just pick up a variety pack of lock washers. Cheap and will probably have the right size somewhere in there.

Comment

Yeah I do have the service manual, but I don't see any info about the sizes of washers, bolts, etc... it's a big manual so maybe I am just missing it.

I'll probably just pick up a variety pack of lock washers. Cheap and will probably have the right size somewhere in there.
                      They are M6 bolts (or studs), so get an M6 washer or use a 1/4" lock washer, which is just a tiny bit bigger, but not enough to hurt anything.

sigpic
                      Family Portrait
                      Siblings and Spouses
                      Mom's first ride

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                        Surprisingly, they only show the nut and a lock washer in the fiche.

I have always used a flat washer between a lock washer and an aluminum part, but it was never there in the original design.

Pretty sure my filter cover has only flat washers, but who knows how many times those bits have changed over 34 years.

Not clear to me what a lock washer would add to the fastener there. The filter spring already provides outward pressure against the stud threads, so what would another spring (i.e. lock washer) add to that? I do have newer nylon lock nuts there.

Comment

Hmnm, think I'll get some new washers for my oil filter cover, its been missing a couple...
                          sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
                          1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
                          2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                            Not flat washers, lock washers. Suzuki does not call for thread lock. You can download a real factory service manual for your bike from basscliff's website for free.
                            the fiche for my 82 1100EZ shows a flat washer and the suzuki manual calls for thread lock.

are yours the 3 bolt oil cover or the 5 bolt?

Brian
                            Brian

82 GS1100E
                            sigpic

Comment

Well now, I just had a really interesting experience with the lock washers. I don't know if the acorn nuts on there were just really old and weak or what - but I barely put any torque on them and ALL 3 of them completely stripped out. I was going around in a circle applying even tightening, figured the initial tension was just from the cap + spring settling. Then they just kept turning and turning and turning...

The lock washers did not even flatten. No idea what the deal was here, maybe the acorns were replaced at some point with weak ones?? Anyways, in a panic I had to run out to sears hardware and find replacements. Thankfully they had the right ones so I came home and threw those on WITHOUT the lock nuts for fear of doing it again. Turned the oil change job into a 2.5 hour affair, lol

At least now I definitely have a proper oil change with the right oil and exactly the right level. No leaks, new acorns. Happy bike

Didn't have a chance to test ride since it got dark and I'm still on my temps. Hopefully tomorrow if the rain stays away. I'm interested to see if I can tell the difference with the better oil in there.

So - proceed with the locking washers at your own risk?? I'm just not sure how that happened. I used M6 1/4" washers. Maybe they were too thick or something..?

Comment

Originally posted by reliant_turbo View Post
                                the fiche for my 82 1100EZ shows a flat washer and the suzuki manual calls for thread lock.

are yours the 3 bolt oil cover or the 5 bolt?

Brian
                                3-bolt cover. You might be right on the flat washer... this fiche seems to show flat washers. Mine calls for thread lock too, though I did not apply it since it didn't seem to be on there from before. I will keep a close eye on it for leaks when I get a chance to do some riding.
                                Last edited by Guest; 09-06-2012, 09:45 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X