Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just got a '78 GS750, general questionss

So,

Hello all. Name's Dan, and I just picked up a '78 GS750 today. Needs some TLC, and I just have some general questions. First off, I haven't ridden in awhile, much less a bike this big. Feels good though. Anyway, The bike needs a new chain (sprockets are good, it is the chain), needs front and rear brakes, and the carbs need to be tuned (It's running extremely rich). On the way home, my buddy took a sharp right turn, and the bike fell over in the truck, thus busting the fuel tank. When wheeling the bike out of the truck, it slid off the ramp and dented the left header.. GRRR, bad first day already. And already a few hundred more to spend now. I don't have a ton of money to spend right now, I just want to get her running mechanically, then I'll worry about the cosmetics. Time for the questions.

What brand of brake pad will be sufficient for a decent price?

The bike will need tires, what brand do you suggest?

Should I go with OEM chain, or will another brand suffice?

I've no real knowledge of tuning carbs. I don't know if the they need to be rejetted or what, all I know is it's running rich, and very hard to start. Let off the throttle and it'll die. Any suggestions, or further places to look into how to do this

Since the left header has been dented, will I need to replace the headers, or will it be okay somewhat dented for now? I really just need to get her started, and running mechanically sound. Just looking for the best way in which to go about doing this. I apologize in advance for asking these general questions. I know the answers are out there, and I'm looking. Just figured I'd ask. Anyway, thank you in advance for any answers/suggestions on everything.

Thanks,

Dan

Welcome to the forum Dan. The best advise at this stage is to educate yourself about your bike. Download the pdf workshop manual from the BassCliff site, then start reading everything on the BassCliff site. He'll be along shortly with the relevant links.
    Take your time and understand what you're dealing with here, it's a 34 year old machine that may have been messed with by many previous owners.
    -Mal

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." - B. Banzai

78 GS750E

Comment

As for chains...do the 530 conversion ( new everything ) as they are phasing out the bigger 630 chains from most manufacturers. Now for the carbs..she may be running "decently" right now but youll find that if you COMPLETELY disassemble them, install all new orings from cycleorings.com ( Robert Barr here on the forum ) Put in new intake manifold orings youll be amazed at just how much more she has to give. I will send you a PM.
      MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
      1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Thanks Mal and Chuck, I appreciate it guys. From what the guy told me though, he took it to a Suzuki dealership, and they said the carbs need to be tuned. So if I replace the O-Rings, and the intake manifold o-rings, do you think that'll help get her started easier? As of right now, it's a huge pain in the ass to even start. They had to jump her to get it going, which is weird, the battery is fine. The rectifier as well. I'm looking into the service manual now. I do plan to get to know all about the bike. Just want to get her up and running soon, so I can try and enjoy the last couple months of riding weather. Thanks again guys.

Comment

Yes...along with a proper valve adjustment. These things ALL work like a little engine symphony and when each is done right that bike will be a pure joy to ride...check the PM i sent you.
          1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Check the valve clearances, when they get tight it will be difficult to start. Warning - do not rotate the cams with a valve shim out of the valve bucket, damage will occur. Check each shim one by one, then figure out what you need to adjust them. Steve has an excellent spreadsheet to help keep track of what you've got and what you need. He may be along shortly also.
            -Mal

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." - B. Banzai

78 GS750E

Comment

Don't worry about the dents in the headers. As long as they aren't massive, it won't affect anything.

If you're running too rich.

1.) Float settings incorrect. should be 25-27mm
              2.) Float needle valve is stuck or needs to be replaced
              2.) Fuel screw, turned Out too much
              3.) Air screw, turned In too much

hope this helps.

Comment

Also, NEVER trust what the printed number on a shim is because they do wear over time. Physically check them with a metric capable dial caliper or metric micrometer to see exactly how thick each one is. Once youve determined which ones are within specs and which arent, you can contact Ray ( Ghost1 ) and swap the ones you dont need for the ones you need. I can appreciate that the dealership says they need "tuned" but then again was this a 30 year old kid with no experience on the 33 year old carbs or a grungy looking old dude with Pall Mall stained fingers and a beard down to his belly button? If it was the kid, then i would suspect he doesnt know his head from his azz as far as what they really need. Just telling you like it is brother. The story you tell sounds like a broken record around here and it costs people hundreds of wasted dollars only to have a member here come and straighten it all out.

Comment

Originally posted by 1_v8_merc View Post
                  Float settings incorrect. should be 25-27mm
                  merc, there have been some discussions regarding float height on the '78 750. I'm pretty sure it should be 24mm, the '77 had 26mm float height.
                  -Mal

78 GS750E

Comment

Sweet! Thanks all for the help and suggestions, guys. I'll be ordering the o-rings and gaskets today, Just to get her going. Pulling the carbs out tonight, disassembling them, and cleaning the crap out of them. Hopefully I'll have her running in a week or two and post some pics. She's definitely not a show boat.... yet

Thanks again guys. Means alot to get this kind of input and help so quickly and generously from everyone.

-Dan

Comment

Dan, could you please post your location?
                      Someone on here has got to be close to you and could possibly help out.

Eric

Comment

hes in Kentucky...dont recall the towns name though.

Comment

Louisville, KY. If anyone is close, I'm in Fern Creek off the Snyder (You'll know what I'm talking about! ) Guess I need to modify my profile, sorry about that guys.

Comment

Click on USERCP at the top and sellect EDIT SIGNATURE...fill in the blanks.

Comment

EDIT DETAILS will allow you to post where you live.

Comment

Working...
                              X