No announcement yet.

Just got a '78 GS750, general questionss

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Updated everything. Hope that helps. Thanks again guys.

Comment

Originally posted by VonStockland View Post
      Updated everything. Hope that helps. Thanks again guys.
      Not a big deal for this thread, but you should also put your bike in your signature.

As to the OP, if you replace the chain you need to also replace the sprockets. They are like peanut butter and jelly.

As you put that bike back together, start with the valve adjustment and do the full monty (strip, dip, new orings) on those carbs. Replace the intake o-rings and fasteners for sure, and intake boots if necessary.

Comment

Thanks MisterCinders. I just ordered the carb oring set, the intake orings and fasteners. Once the engine is going, I'll be doing the 530 chain conversion. It's great to get input from everyone, and get a plan in order. Thanks all, you guys rock!

Comment

For brake pads, contact the fine people here: http://maccycles.com/
          About $35.00-$39.00 to your door for a complete set for all three brakes!
          Less, if you only have two.

Eric

Comment

Choose a memorable domain name. Professional, friendly customer support. Start using your domain right away.

Will those work as far as a brakepad set? Even though it states from 1980-1983?

Comment

Call them and talk to the nice woman.
              She will hook you up.

Eric

Comment

Haha. Will do, thanks Eric!

Comment

As a matter of course, if it doesn't say "'77-'79 GS750" don't buy it.
                  And be wary even when it does!!!
                  Last edited by allojohn; 09-10-2012, 10:43 PM.
                  -Mal

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." - B. Banzai

78 GS750E

Comment

Lol. I guess that would only make sense. Thanks, Mal.

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. VonStockland,

Just in case you missed it...

Let me dump a TON of information on you and share some GS lovin'.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", "Top 15 Tips For GS Happiness", the Carb Cleanup Series, and the Stator Papers. All of these tasks must be addressed in order to have a safe, reliable machine. This is what NOT to do: Top 10 Newbie Mistakes. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please Click Here For Your Mega-Welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Wow! Thank you BassCliff, I appreciate the welcoming. It's already been extremely pleasant here. Just disassembled the carbs, and have them soaking now. Woot! Personal thank you to Chuck for walking me through how to do it. Thanks to all you guys as well for not only making me feel welcome here, but giving kick ass instructions/suggestions. I can already tell this is going to be MUCH easier because of you all. Cheers!

Dan

Comment

Dan...Dont get to excited just yet...You havent seen the bill!!! HA HA.
                          MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                          1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Sigh... I guess I'll find out soon enough, eh? Lol.

Comment

Me like

Listen to Eric. He turned me on to maccycles and I was VERY IMPRESSED! Ordered on Friday and they were there on Tuesday and it was a holiday weekend. Not to mention the young lady on the phone was an absolute pleasure to work with. Thanks again Eric.
                              Originally posted by 7981GS View Post
                              Call them and talk to the nice woman.
                              She will hook you up.

Eric
                              sigpic1981 gs1000G Black
                              1969 Honda Dream Apart and someday will be painted!

To steal ideas from one person is plagiarism. To steal from many is research.

Comment

Awesome. I called them yesterday, but they didn't answer. I'll try again today. Quick question first, though. If I'm going to redo the brakes, should I just go ahead and purchase the 530 chain conversion as well? I just figure while I have the rear wheel off...

Comment

Working...
                                X